3D Printed 100hp Sentinel Vertical Boiler

Hi,

I have a passion for industrial steam and have had a Tenshodo Spud Mechanism in my spares box from a tram kit for ages so I looked for a project. It was to be a planet diesel but then I found this on Shapeways......

post-34405-0-62520100-1527664145.png

post-34405-0-05629500-1527664161.jpg

My son,who used 3D printing alot was disappointed that I did not order the super fine detailed print but I think that it matches the quality of anything I would have made myself so I am not too worried about a little sanding.It looks like buffers and handrails are all that is needed and taming the spud with DCC.

post-34405-0-62520100-1527664145.png

post-34405-0-05629500-1527664161.jpg

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

That's nice, but I never found the Spuds to behave very well on DCC.

Perhaps it all depends on the chip you use - I'd be interested to know how it works out for you.

I would have thought that as spuds and chips are basically the same thing there wouldn't be any problems!

Mike.

• Funny 2

Looking forward to seeing the progress on this...

Me too,the Shapeways delivery system appearstttotbe"strap the item to a glacier and wait for it to arrive at it's destination. I could post a pic now but a bare Tenshodo Spud is not too inspiring! lol

• 1 month later...

Me too,the Shapeways delivery system appearstttotbe"strap the item to a glacier and wait for it to arrive at it's destination. I could post a pic now but a bare Tenshodo Spud is not too inspiring! lol

Did it ever arrive? Would like to see any progress.

• 11 months later...

Hi Simon, I appreciate that this thread is now over 11 months old but I was also thinking about purchasing the sentinel. Did yours ever arrive ? If it did , would you recommend the finer printing against the standard.

Thanks  Allan

• Agree 1

Just followed up on this and visited the Shapeways page where it is stated that the finish is not very good - but no mention of a super fine detailed print.  A lot less expensive than an etched kit but does it make up well?