Cavalex Models - next project

Grimleygrid

Following suggestions, feedback received and research conducted, we are looking at a TEA bogie tank wagon and BBA long steel carrier.

post-7236-0-85308900-1527794445_thumb.jpg

Photo Courtesy Trevor Plackett

post-7236-0-65045800-1527794396.jpg

Photo Courtesy AP

More details will be provided in due course.

• Like 11

The BBA has been long overdue and the drawing published in BR Wagons volume one and since then has became a much converted wagon with several variations of floor fitted plus Marcroft at Stoke fitting three piece hoods on some!

Plenty to go at in the future!

Mark Saunders

• Like 2

Think the BBA would be a wise choice , various liveries , plus many conversions , of those i can think of are :

BWA with five ex BZA cradles  (there were 13 of these conversions)

BIA five ex BOA cradles (there were 12 of these conversions)

BBA five wooden cradles  (there were 7 of these )

BLA

BSA that worked from Sheffield to Immingham with stainless  slab and back with coil (there were 31 of these conversions)

BBA with 6 cradles again Sheffield to Grimsby / various East coast ports / BSC  Lackenby / BSC Port Talbot with stainless slab and back with coil (there were 33 of these conversions)

BIA / BWA / BXA  covered conversions with sliding hoods

BBA with / without ends and various floors / bolsters fitted

there are probably more , so feel free to add

Edited by bazjones1711

I think it would be a big risk to do the teas as rapido are doing them but I would be happy with some bbas

While Rapido is making them - they are in production at the moment according to the last Rapido UK newsletter- the TEAs are a Revolution Trains product.

Well, I didn’t think that it was a good idea for Revolution to produce TEAs because Bachmann already produced them. Nevertheless, they seem to have been successful in that they wouldn’t have begun work on them if people hadn’t committed themselves to buying enough of them. In addition, Revolution’s offering is high-spec. 

BBAs, I think. Put a cherry on top by providing loads for them and take a leaf out of Accurascale’s book by offering trains of them all differently numbered.

With the next model, may I have more time to save up please?

Iirc the Bachmann TEA is a delagged one so the barrel is too small for most prototypes. Also, there are many variants of TEAs. Different bogies, hatches, walkways, class A or lagged class B, even some earlier ones with different lengths.

BBAs. You need to design the tooling that allows for the later modification that have occurred with these wagons.

• RMweb Gold

Hello all,

The TEA offered by Bachmann represents the 1960s+ versions produced by Charles Roberts and others that lasted in service until relatively recently.

The TEA being produced by Rapido for Revolution Trains (which is the same as the N one produced in 2016) represents the type built for EWS and VTG since 2006.

The one proposed by Cavalex appears to be the Procor-built type dating from the 1980s.

If the TOPS codes are causing confusion (and I can see why) then I wonder whether it's worth considering the TDA? I think that the liveries are more varied and they have distinctive angled end platforms that might make them stand out a bit.

Personally, I feel the BBA is a better bet as there are more variations and there does not seem to be a surfeit of steel carriers but I know very little about the 4mm market.

Cheers

Ben A.

The TEA shown is of a design not yet made and is very different from the models produced by Bachmann or Revolution

I believe the closest relative would be the ancient Tri-ang/Hornby TEA (Which should have been retired in the 1990s)

The BBA is a good call - Steel wagons are always a popular choice

Now, How many can I sell?  (I'll be in touch soon about these Alex)

Hi these are just the first two wagons in the shortlist for the next project.

The TEA presented here is different to both the Revolution and Bachmanm offerings and would happily run with either wagon to make a more varied set. This TEA ran from the 80s right through to present day so has a great range of operating years and longevity.

No one is offering this design at present and would of course be to a high standard as per the Revolution version and our recent PGA.

• Like 1

Just to clarify the TEA design that we are considering, TE009D and TE009F.

Built by Standard Railway Wagon Company in 1987 for Total.
Built in two batches; TOTL 85930-85944 and 85960-85974
102 Tonne GLW Class A bogie tank wagon
Gloucester GPS25 bogies

Paul Bartlett has some excellent photos of them on his site here:

TE009D
http://PaulBartlett.zenfolio.com/totalclassatea/e71b09de

TE009F
http://PaulBartlett.zenfolio.com/totalclassatea/e1a6a1cb1

• Like 1

Ahhh, I was hoping for perhaps one of the various Bardon Aggregates hoppers that many suggested.  Still, I guess it will save me a little cash this time around.  Maybe next time.

Yes, but I think the JGA Bardons I suggested have the same bogies, so provides a little hope for the future....

Regards,

C.

• Like 1