Cavalex Models - next project

Grimleygrid

Hope you will be doing both the round and the squared oval ones. The latter appears to be more common.

Ps-I know dates are flexible, but do we have a guess as to when these will be coming? Ie-6 months etc?

Edited by cheesysmith

We will be looking at both types of buffers. Neither are designed as part of the main chassis block so will be interchangable moving forward.

The CADs are due to be finished soon at which point we will be looking at pricing and opening up expressions of interest/pre-oders.

Hi No Decorum, if you want high levels of detail you have to pay I'm afraid, models are not cheap to produce, especially in small batches as the current modelling scene dictates. We are not a massive company with limitless resources but our aim is and always has been to provide models of exceptional detail and quality for modellers, this however doesn't come cheap as there are more parts, fiddly assembly processes more difficult items to paint etc. These all add to the costs involved before you even consider packaging and import charges.

As for running numbers, unless you are expecting us to have 20 to 30 odd different numbers printed then what do you gain by having 2 or 3 different ones? We are however certainly open to producing several running numbers if that's what demand dictates or even provide decals so that you can change them if you wish but again there will be a knock on to that cost wise in doing so which it seems you are objectionable to in you opening statement in any case.

We would very much appreciate your support in all of our future endeavours as with all of our fellow modellers and we would hope that our recent PGA release has gone some way to reinforce what we are trying to achieve with Cavalex models, it does seem however that you are trying to derail us somewhat at every turn? We understand that these things are what you would like to see in a future model but it also has to be seen from your perspective that what you want or consider essential in a model is not necessarily what others see as the same or that these things are feasible to produce without pushing the boundary of cost too far.

Maybe if you post a list of features that you would like to see and your price expectations for the model then we can address and discuss the issues at a base level. Needless to say I don't really think that back handed comments and sarcasm under the veil of humour really helps push things forward productively or is necessarily the way to broach any concerns that you may have. I much prefer to discuss expectations transparently and honestly to allow all involved to reach a mutual beneficial conclusion.

Regards

Cav

Edited by RBE

Yes we are (or more accurately Alex is) DRD transfers. We could certainly produce some but not everyone wants to buy a new wagon and then have to go about numbering it up. Most people don't want to have to do it for locos so wagons would be niche I feel.

It is something that we could look at though. Its not off the table thats for sure.

In some circumstances, where the prototypes ran in multiple consists, the use of models with the same number can be noticeable. There are a number of solutions. The manufacturer can produce the model with multiple running numbers. Accurascale has recently done this with their HUO wagons and has sold them in packs of three, a good marketing method that seems to have worked, as they are nearly sold out of the pre TOPS versions. A second option is for the buyer to remove the number, as I've recently done on the new Bachmann bauxite carflats, it's not that noticeable as the numbers are small. The BBA numbers are small on the prototypes and heavily weathered. The third option is to apply new numbers from transfers. Depending on what liveries are chosen will make a difference to the complexity of any transfer, as the original livery has numbers that are part of the TOPS data panel, the later Railfreight livery has the number stencil painted onto the side beam. Personally, for the BBAs I'd be happy to have the model with a single number and have the option to purchase a set of multiple numbers to change some of the models. 

Edited by rembrow

• RMweb Gold

Hi Cav,

Nice work so far.

Now you appear to have settled on the BBA as your next project, is it worth amending the thread title? Or starting a new one?

People skimming down recent unread threads (as I often do) might have a look if a specific vehicle is mentioned.

Cheers

Ben A.

Edited by Ben A

Hi Cav

this wagon is excellent news, been long overdue.  A quick question if you don't mind.  The Cambrian BBA's had a deck width significantly less than the Bachmann BAA (albeit Cambrian BBA & BAA were the same!) .  In reality they were similar.  What's the comparison like between your BAA and the Bachmann BAA?

Thanks.

m

Edited by Melly

Hi Melly. Thanks for the interest. I don't have a Bachmann BAA but our BBA is the exact width of a scaled down real BBA. The dimensions have all been taken from a recent trip to scunthorpe steelworks to specifically measure these wagons.

• Like 1

I have a list of all the TOPS pools for the BBA wagons from 1988 somewhere which i can post , plus a list of the BBA pools from early 2000's with all the design codes , as at around that time they had different floor designs no ends , various bolsters fitted etc.

BSA conversion 31 of these were done to work with stainless slab from Tinsley to Immingham and back loaded with semi finished stainless coil to the rolling mill at the end of Tinsley yard for finishing

.https://photos.smugmug.com/Wagons/BSA-Bogie-Steel-Slab-Carrier/i-NpmfGX8/0/13a77174/X2/910355-X2.jpg

Footage of BSA at Barnetby

https://youtu.be/KXMtDRZzcPo?t=53s

Pool 4107 BSC Lackenby - Hartlepool coil

910007,010,015,031,032,034,038,040,058,067,068,077,089,105,109,169,391,436,460,540.

Total 20 These carried eye to sky coil to be made into pipes

As and when i find more material will post

Losing the ends is earlier than suggested, by 1983 https://PaulBartlett.zenfolio.com/bba/e32a0446f https://PaulBartlett.zenfolio.com/bba/e260bbf6b  Its possible my North eastern colleagues would pinpoint this more accurately.

They look like a very promising model. A lovely prototype and I'm astounded so many have gone for scrap when the 60 year old BDAs are still running around - I understand to do with the way competitive privatisation of freight works. 

Paul

• Like 1

Your (sublime) render obviously has stanchions, any thoughts on cradles and/or loads?

BTW I've only seen coil effectively modelled once, at DEMU. I didn't think to ask but suspect they were actually steel rod, milled on a lathe with a hole drilled in the centre.

Slab, rod and sheets are obviously easily achievable by the average modeller.

C6T.

Edited by Classsix T

Your (sublime) render obviously has stanchions, any thoughts on cradles and/or loads?

BTW I've only seen coil effectively modelled once, at DEMU. I didn't think to ask but suspect they were actually steel rod, milled on a lathe with a hole drilled in the centre.

Slab, rod and sheets are obviously easily achievable by the average modeller.

C6T.

My coils made simply from thin card rolled up , sprayed polished steel and lightly weatherd, banding is thin strips of self adhesive label

post-19557-0-00595300-1536080524.jpg

That's quite convincing Baz, nice work.

I tried rolled-up anodized aluminium once, but failed miserably.

The ends should look flush but with a defined demarcation between layers IMHO, the plastic load in Dapol's hoods was shocking, Bachmann's coils less so but might benefit from Baz's method of painting.

C6T.

• Like 1

post-19557-0-14090900-1536085705_thumb.jpg

Cambrian BBA with the addition of Colin Craig cradles  13 of these were coded BWA for use on imported coil from the likes of Grimsby, If other types of cradle / loads were to be made by Cavalex  as after market items think they would be a market for those items , maybe the ex BOA cradles that were then used on BBA to become BIA ( before they became the covered versions), could also use them on the BAA that were recoded BSA

https://paulbartlett.zenfolio.com/brtrestlexva/h149289ac

https://paulbartlett.zenfolio.com/baa/h2ca80536

https://photos.smugmug.com/UKRailRollingstock/B-tops-codes/BIA-covered-coil-carriers/i-ft5dVSG/0/3f2d2a43/XL/BIA_910024%20Goole%20Docks%2013.10.09-XL.jpg

Just thought that I would drop this here.

We are currently working on getting the bogies for the BBA as realistic a possible within reason for these wagons rather than the usual generic frame with detailed side frames tacked on. It seems to us that going to the effort of highly detailed underframe pipework etc to then fall short on the bogies is a little silly.

These should also provide nice bogies for scenic purposes as well as lorry loads or in railway workshops etc.

The wagon will come with a NEM tension lock and a matching NEM blanking plate to simulate the plate behind the screwlink on the real wagon for those using 3 links or at the end of trains.

Anyway comments as always welcome.

post-6894-0-80675600-1536248020_thumb.png

• Like 11

Hi Cav/Alex,

These look excellent from the render and the detail on the bogies is impressive. I was very impressed with the hoppers from what I saw of them although, sadly I couldn’t find an excuse for them however a block train of BBA’s will get ordered when they are at that stage.

Great work so far.

Thanks

Mark