Cavalex Models - next project

Grimleygrid

Hi No Decorum, if you want high levels of detail you have to pay I'm afraid, models are not cheap to produce, especially in small batches as the current modelling scene dictates. We are not a massive company with limitless resources but our aim is and always has been to provide models of exceptional detail and quality for modellers, this however doesn't come cheap as there are more parts, fiddly assembly processes more difficult items to paint etc. These all add to the costs involved before you even consider packaging and import charges.

As for running numbers, unless you are expecting us to have 20 to 30 odd different numbers printed then what do you gain by having 2 or 3 different ones? We are however certainly open to producing several running numbers if that's what demand dictates or even provide decals so that you can change them if you wish but again there will be a knock on to that cost wise in doing so which it seems you are objectionable to in you opening statement in any case.

We would very much appreciate your support in all of our future endeavours as with all of our fellow modellers and we would hope that our recent PGA release has gone some way to reinforce what we are trying to achieve with Cavalex models, it does seem however that you are trying to derail us somewhat at every turn? We understand that these things are what you would like to see in a future model but it also has to be seen from your perspective that what you want or consider essential in a model is not necessarily what others see as the same or that these things are feasible to produce without pushing the boundary of cost too far.

Maybe if you post a list of features that you would like to see and your price expectations for the model then we can address and discuss the issues at a base level. Needless to say I don't really think that back handed comments and sarcasm under the veil of humour really helps push things forward productively or is necessarily the way to broach any concerns that you may have. I much prefer to discuss expectations transparently and honestly to allow all involved to reach a mutual beneficial conclusion.

Regards

Cav

My attempt to make a couple of points in a lighthearted way have obviously deeply offended you, for which I am very sorry. I have every sympathy for a new manufacturer trying to enter what has become a hugely competitive market.

To make my points seriously. First, I fully accept that prices for model railway items are rising in cost much faster than inflation and, in addition to that, if more detail is added than before, there will be yet more cost on top of that. I have no argument with that. On the other hand, I imagine that the majority of modellers, including me, can no longer afford to buy everything that appeals. We have no choice but to be selective. Second, the more time there is between the announcement of the price and the order cut-off date, the easier it is (for me, if no-one else) to find the money to commit to the order.

I freely admit that I have something of a fetish about running numbers on wagons. For me, one of the delights of rakes of modern wagons now available is that they can be obtained with different running numbers. Nevertheless, the points are well made in posts subsequent to yours, i.e. at one extreme, numbers on a tank wagon can be very prominent and, at the other, numbers on a BBA are scarcely legible.

I am taken aback by your statement that, “it does seem however that you are trying to derail us somewhat at every turn”. I have looked back carefully at my postings in relation to the PGAs and can see nothing other than attempts to be helpful. I have said little in relation to the BBAs other than to go along with the majority in favouring these over TEAs and suggesting the addition of loads, which of course, you are entitled to rule out on cost grounds. Again, the posts following yours have made useful suggestions. However, I apologise again for my misplaced attempt at humour.

I have ordered and paid for twelve PGAs: six of each. It is only my view but it is something of a leap of faith because I have no assurance that different number transfers will be available. I think I would have gone for a few more if I had had enough cash to spare at the time.

As for my price expectations, I’m afraid I have to be unhelpful. It depends what else is around and has claimed my cash a couple of months ahead. What I will say is, and once again, it is only my personal stance, that if you were to produce a triple pack of differently numbered BBAs at more-or-less market rates, I’d order them like a shot and think about my budget later.

If you don’t mind my making a suggestion. The method of payment by bank transfer is a little unsettling. It would probably cause you a lot more work and may be an unreasonable request but if it were possible, it would be nice to get an acknowledgment that you had received the payment safely.

Hi. Thanks for your input. I also am sorry if what I said has come across as offended or offesive for that matter. It was not the intention, just some words to ensure people that the choices we make are based on considered thought and not just thrown in on a whim.

I am not offended by your comments.

The statement regarding the derailing may be a little heaver than intended but I was referring to previous statements on the PGA project regarding buffers, ladders running numbers etc which again we had placed considerable thought into but dismissed by yourself previously as unacceptable despite never having seen what we were planning. As it turns out we could not be more pleased with how the ladders and buffers turned out.

As for the running numbers, yes I still see your point and respect your view but I also hold the view that if the manufacturer isn't producing 30 different numbers he may as well not do multiple ones at all as the wagons will still repeat. That said if we were to offer a three pack say we would of course do 3 different numbers in those.

Offering decals to change them if you want seems a better option to me but there are lots of people who wouldn't want to add numbers at all if the other otion was to print no number on the wagon and print decals in the box for those instead.

I respect that it is important to you that there are multiple numbers on what is essentially the same wagon but on wagons where the tops panel is the only place the number is shown I feel personally that ots not that noticable that it is worth the effort and cost to produce 3 different ones.

All that being said, any future runs of PGAs will have a different running number to any that have gone before.

Regarding payments. We will need to look into how they are dealt with, bank transfer is by far the safest and most simple for us however you too need security and proof of payments. We do have a paypal system, however we are forced to charge you an extra 3% on that to cover costs so try to avoid it as it can mount up for you if your order is costly.

Again though thanks for your input and continued support.

• RMweb Gold

I’ve just stumbled across this thread and it’s fantastic news that you’re producing the BBA wagons! I’m surprised Bachmann haven’t produced them following the apparent success of the BAA’s so their loss is your hopefully your gain. I’m now following this thread, saved your website as a favourite and will certainly be ordering several to compliment the BAA’s.

The images released so far look fantastic! I agree with a couple of the previous comments ... especially maybe worth amending the title of this thread to mention the BBA project (as I only found this thread via a Google search for BBA wagon images).

Like 87029 above, I’m also modelling the steel coil rake along the WCML. Look forward to seeing this project progress - best of luck with it.

• Like 2

Hi Patriot. Welcome aboard.

Its good to hear that you've found us. We will be starting a new thread once the CADs are complete.

As for the WCLM coils the first release would be perfect for this.

post-6894-0-39942500-1536393049_thumb.jpg

• Like 6

That’s great news and that’s the kinda scene I’m attempting to recreate on one part of my layout ... looking forward to slotting in the BBA’s into this existing rake of BAA’s, then plenty of weathering to do!

Not wishing to go off topic but I think some more pictures of that layout are required!

Cheers

Simon

• RMweb Gold

Not wishing to go off topic but I think some more pictures of that layout are required!

Cheers

Simon

Many thanks Simon. I've plucked up the courage to create a layout thread linked below. I've been a long-time admirer and follower of both Dallam and Strathmuir .... any BBA's make it to Scotland for the latter?

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/137453-davidson-parkway/

Back to the BBA's ... any thoughts regarding whether Steel Coil or other loads will be provided with the models or supplied separately?

Many thanks Simon. I've plucked up the courage to create a layout thread linked below. I've been a long-time admirer and follower of both Dallam and Strathmuir .... any BBA's make it to Scotland for the latter?

Yes we did run Cambrian BBA's and BAA's but they were sold on. However I think these BBA's will certainly be on the shopping list for Strathmuir/Future layout.

Cheers

Simon

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Your (sublime) render obviously has stanchions, any thoughts on cradles and/or loads?

BTW I've only seen coil effectively modelled once, at DEMU. I didn't think to ask but suspect they were actually steel rod, milled on a lathe with a hole drilled in the centre.

Slab, rod and sheets are obviously easily achievable by the average modeller.

C6T.

Via another thread, I found these coil loads by Walthers (scroll down a bit): http://www.gaugemaster.com/search_results.asp?searchstring=scale~~%ACho%AC~~scale+brand~~685,680,695,683,686,684~~brand+brand~~680~~brand&style=&andor=&method=kws&strType=&currentpage=1

Anyone have knowledge of, I think given a suitably metallic paint application, they might be just the job? I doubt the scale difference will matter much.

Unless Alex or Cav would like to confirm loads and/or cradles are under consideration?

C6T.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Via another thread, I found these coil loads by Walthers (scroll down a bit): http://www.gaugemaster.com/search_results.asp?searchstring=scale~~%ACho%AC~~scale+brand~~685,680,695,683,686,684~~brand+brand~~680~~brand&style=&andor=&method=kws&strType=&currentpage=1

Anyone have knowledge of, I think given a suitably metallic paint application, they might be just the job? I doubt the scale difference will matter much.

Unless Alex or Cav would like to confirm loads and/or cradles are under consideration?

C6T.

C6T, loads and cradles are under consideration. 

We have now started a new thread for our BBA wagon:

http://www.rmweb.co....e/?do=findComment&comment=3349726

• Like 1

• 1 month later...