Kernow Wagon - IZA Cargowagon Twin Van

rembrow

Just received a special e-mail from Kernow, advising a newly tooled commission in partnership with Revolution, for 'oo'gauge - IZA Cargowagon Twin Van sets. These are 4 wheel vans permanently coupled in pairs.

The pre order price is £89.99 for a pair and there are 4 versions of the original build from 1986 and 4 versions in the revised livery from 1998. Each 4 options can be bought in a multi pack for £339.99. There are a further 2 versions, one per livery, with tail lamps.

Edited by rembrow

Excellent news from Kernow, this will be a superb wagon given the quality of work from Ben and Mike and I’ve certainly nagged them to do it in OO. The 4 pack offers good value so will be getting one ordered when funds allow.

Cheers

Mark

Oh baby!

For once I can join in the I want one* froth fest for a new product   :)

Bagged China Clay in the C21st is ideal traffic!

They may not be actually giving them, away but its a fair price for what I assume will be a top quality product, and we do have something like 70 weeks notice to save a few pence up 

*or more

Whilst these are normally thought of as working in block trains, Hexham, in the1980s, used to see a couple of pairs working from Austria with chipboard for Egger. They'd be mixed in with resin tanks and OTAs.

Was this the same traffic as Pensnett ? ISTR chipboard going down to Pensnett a few decades ago !!!

Guest teacupteacup

Great news, more modern wagons are needed.  Single van version next?  A few differences but certainly do-able.

I'll still be building my kit buy may order a couple from Kernow.

• RMweb Gold

Hello everyone

Firstly, congratulations to Kernow on this announcement!

In the results of The Wishlist Poll 2016 (the most recent results), the IZA Cargowaggon was the second most-wanted 'post steam era' freight vehicle (behind the 1976/1981 KFA MoD Warflat). It was was Middle Polling.

Brian (on behalf of The Poll Team)

• 1 month later...

Waited for a set of these for a long time but sadly at that price I will probably have to pass.

Yes, its a shame they are so pricey - think KMRC are looking at as they are two wagons, so selling them at the price of 2 wagons.  Plus with selling Turbots at £29.99 with less detail, probably think they can get away with charging more for a premium product.  Whilst "OO" is always a little more expensive than "N" Gauge, Revolutions "N" Gauge are very reasonably priced, and you can compare the difference in price between the N Gauge TEA and the OO Gauge one.

I too would have had a few, but like you say, not at that price - plus I am lucky enough to have a fleet of Roco ones, so will manage with just those.   They are HO, but because they are to a large loading gauge, pass for "OO", but just don't have the anchor logo on the side.

Regards,

C. 

Yes, its a shame they are so pricey - think KMRC are looking at as they are two wagons, so selling them at the price of 2 wagons. 

To be fair, as far as manufacturing goes they are effectively two separate wagons.

Edited by YesTor

To be fair, as far as manufacturing goes they are effectively two separate wagons.

....well to be fair, if you look at past models you can make your own mind up, about my philosophy.....

Looking at past and present sources:

N gauge TEA £26.00, OO gauge TEA £37.00  

N gauge IZA £36.00, OO gauge £99.99, or £89.99 if you pay now.

Don't think I need to say any more!

• RMweb Premium

....well to be fair, if you look at past models you can make your own mind up, about my philosophy.....

Don't think I need to say any more!

Hi

Difference is that the TEA and N Gauge IZA have both been sold direct by RT so no dealer overheads.

OO IZA sold by Kernow who will need to make a profit.

Cheers

Paul

• RMweb Gold

Hi there,

You are quoting crowdfunding prices, which are only available to those who step up with early orders to get the model tooled and into production.  These prices are, as Paul said, in effect a trade price.

Latecomers have paid more with all Revolution projects, as yes, retailers stock them but they add (reasonably enough) their margin.  In the case of the models you quoted, the 00 TEA tanker, which is still in production in China, seems to be retailing at about £45.

So the Cargowaggon twins are comparable.

cheers

Ben A.

Edited by Ben A

Yes, its a shame they are so pricey - think KMRC are looking at as they are two wagons, so selling them at the price of 2 wagons. Plus with selling Turbots at £29.99 with less detail, probably think they can get away with charging more for a premium product. Whilst "OO" is always a little more expensive than "N" Gauge, Revolutions "N" Gauge are very reasonably priced, and you can compare the difference in price between the N Gauge TEA and the OO Gauge one.

I too would have had a few, but like you say, not at that price - plus I am lucky enough to have a fleet of Roco ones, so will manage with just those. They are HO, but because they are to a large loading gauge, pass for "OO", but just don't have the anchor logo on the side.

Regards,

C.

It is two wagons. But £45 each for a slab sided wagon with hardly any need for detail? I don’t mean anyone any ill intention - I hope they fly off the shelves and Kernow make a whacking profit because the hobby needs that. But I absolutely cannot justify that sort of price. Others can and will and I hope there are enough of them.

• RMweb Gold

It is two wagons. But £45 each for a slab sided wagon with hardly any need for detail? I don’t mean anyone any ill intention - I hope they fly off the shelves and Kernow make a whacking profit because the hobby needs that. But I absolutely cannot justify that sort of price. Others can and will and I hope there are enough of them.

I suggest you have a look at the prototype. They are hardly slab sided and lacking in detail.

Roy

• Like 2

But £45 each for a slab sided wagon with hardly any need for detail?

If there really is that little to them then why not simply make your own?  An oblong-shaped box, a couple of axles?  Cheap as chips.  Job done?  ;)

Edited by YesTor
  • Like 4

• 2 weeks later...

I have been trying to find out what kind of traffic these wagons would do in Cornwall and images of them but all i can seem to find is the bogie version of the Cargowagon. If anyone could help tell me where i can find images and information i would appreciate there help.

Thanks,

Samuel. 

238029290463 at Ely Potter Group showing off a replacement door 10th August 2001.  The door was the result of a 'sideswipe' at St Blazey.  I dealt with damage claims on PO wagons and had to settle this one.  The door cost EWS over £8K, the job was completed by Wabtec who used an 'aluminium fabricator'.  They made an excellent job.

I will look through my archives and see what I can find out regarding Cornish traffic.  I have a couple of industry colleagues who worked down at St Blazey, who might be able to pin down the traffic.

post-2484-0-24211800-1532728161_thumb.jpg

• Like 5

• RMweb Gold

238029290463 at Ely Potter Group showing off a replacement door 10th August 2001.  The door was the result of a 'sideswipe' at St Blazey.  I dealt with damage claims on PO wagons and had to settle this one.  The door cost EWS over £8K, the job was completed by Wabtec who used an 'aluminium fabricator'.  They made an excellent job.

I will look through my archives and see what I can find out regarding Cornish traffic.  I have a couple of industry colleagues who worked down at St Blazey, who might be able to pin down the traffic.

attachicon.gif238029290463.jpg

£8k for a door !!! and people are complaining about £90 for a wagon !

• Like 1
  • Funny 2

£8k for a door !!! and people are complaining about £90 for a wagon !

I think they lost money on the door.  £8000 might sound like a lot of money, but consider what is involved.  Purchase of the material (not likely to be sitting on the shelf), working out the sequence on construction (all welded, which involves planning to avoid distortion due to heat), support for the construction during assembly, the amount of welding, fabricating door fittings where they were not recoverable from the damaged door.  Fitting door to wagon.  Setting up door opening mechanism.  Supply and fitting of decals, etc etc etc.  So much for a slab sided wagon......

• Like 3

Looking through my notes -

International Traffic

Pool 0184 Hfirrs 3 International - not sure of traffic

Pool 0177 Hfirrs 3 and 4 - Evian

Domestic Traffic

Pool 0183 18 x Habfis2 80 tonne bogie vans - EWS

Pool 0195 29 x EVS

Pool 0189 3 Habfis 1 - ECC

Pool 0101 20 Hfirrs 3 - EWS