Thrash Valley Railway - N gauge Heritage railway

Staners

With my current layout winding down and nearing completion i'm starting to formulate ideas for a new layout.

I'm wanting a layout where I can have realistic length heritage services passing in a loop then going in there separate directions and returning again. The basic trackplan of my layout will be a pinched dogbone so that a train can return from the same direction and look although its run round and turned of a turntable

post-30900-0-01954200-1528037280_thumb.png

For this project I've found some space and put some baseboards together

post-30900-0-40071700-1528041534_thumb.png

My current track plan looks like this:

post-30900-0-79068700-1528047497_thumb.png

2 scenic passing loops along with 1 non-scenic allow for up-to 4 trains running at once, I also am able to store 4 sets of coaches scenically and have space at the bottom left of the layout to store extra stock

With this plan my standard rolling stock would include:

1x N class, Late Crest (DCC sound)

1x 4MT Tank, Late Crest (DCC sound)

1x Ivatt 2MT, Late Crest (DCC sound)

1x Class 33, BR Green SYP (DCC/DCC Sound)

3x mk1 standard service trains (2 in crimson and cream and one in chocolate and cream) - 1x Full Brake, 4x Second Corridor

1x mk1 pullman set - 2x Palour, 2x Corridor 

1x mk1 BR blue pullman/bar train - 1x Palour, 2x Nightcap Bar

2x freight sets (one SR and one GWR)

Edited by Staners

The current section section looks like - 

post-30900-0-17679000-1528048275_thumb.png

I feel as though the section to the top left of the layout of the layout is a bit empty, I want to have sweeping curves with majestic trains on my layout, so without taking away from this does anyone have ideas for the space - something that can add to the layout without taking away from it? thanks

The layout is designed to be viewed from the bottom right and the baseboard sits at 80 cm above the floor.

Bellow is the access arrangements to the board

Red- Unaccessible and non viewable

Yellow - Accessible but non viewable

Green - Accessible and viewable

post-30900-0-38129000-1528049122.png

Edited by Staners
  • Like 1

For the free space I was wondering if I could add a small halt similar to Berwyn Station along the section or I was thinking of a small branch with a single track terminus at the end coming from one of the stations.

P1040558%20L.jpg

Also I've added some pictures to the plan to show what I'm trying to achieve with each section nothing solid just some of the land form and structures (none of the photos are mine so all credit to those whom they are)

post-30900-0-91070900-1528053187_thumb.png

Its probably a good time to point out that this layout is based somewhere fictional but probably in the south near the sea or an estuary, also I included a few Scottish pictures so I would make there scenes more appropriate for somewhere in the south.

• Like 1

Interesting idea for a layout !!

I'm currently building a fictitious Cement Plant layout in N gauge, based "somewhere in the Dales"

My ideas have changed back and forth along the way, but originally I had a small wayside halt served by a preservation railway in mind on the layout .... an idea which I have now gone back to.

Seeing the above pic of the station halt you have posted gives me food for thought as to how my own might eventually look. I need to research more on the types of halt used by railways though before I decide how to proceed.

I greatly look forward to following your layout and seeing how you progress.

Simon.

Interesting idea for a layout !!

I'm currently building a fictitious Cement Plant layout in N gauge, based "somewhere in the Dales"

My ideas have changed back and forth along the way, but originally I had a small wayside halt served by a preservation railway in mind on the layout .... an idea which I have now gone back to.

Seeing the above pic of the station halt you have posted gives me food for thought as to how my own might eventually look. I need to research more on the types of halt used by railways though before I decide how to proceed.

I greatly look forward to following your layout and seeing how you progress.

Simon.

Thank you, and your project looks great already giving me little ideas!

Another idea for the top left of the layout... a cutting with a high side along the wall to act as a back scene, and the inner side be lower but still prominent, also having a wide cutting to represent the line previous being double track and also to allow trains to still be viewable from a normal viewing angle. This would act as a scenic brake from the empty space on the layout where I could have a branch that's "crammed" in but is separated from the running line so it doesn't look it (design bellow).

Project-gallery-Loups-Fell-2-1200x525px.

post-30900-0-62686800-1528147179_thumb.png

• Like 1

Rail-cutting-fence-to-fence-survey-CS1-5

The closer section of the left hand cutting looks similar to how I want the inner section on my cutting.

I was also thinking of a bridge for a road from my branch station across the cutting and curving off to the section in the corner if the curve and scenically disappearing behind the wall.

post-30900-0-99137100-1528147743_thumb.png

• Like 1

Another idea for the branch....

post-30900-0-22748500-1528215128_thumb.png

Separate branch from the layout more and also increase the length from pulling it of from the embankment, also raising it add a sense of distance (3 cm above the main baseboard height)

Also i found a picture of this single track terminus station so I could realistically have a station like on the plan. For services to the station i could use a Gronk and a brake van or a 4mt and a brake, both plausible as demonstrated by photos below

gb_pontypool_big_pit_halt.jpg

MKLRaBR_80104_04.jpg

10850..12.05.12_swanage_railways_diesel_

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Ok, so plans have changed a little. All but the track plan is the same:

post-30900-0-68721900-1532910854_thumb.jpg

This plan allows for: A longer run, more scenic options including higher realism, more access to layout for viewing and building (building is also made easyer due to no sub baseboard gradients).

post-30900-0-75246700-1532913405_thumb.png

I added a few ideas about how I would detail each section