Rapido LB&SCR Class E1 0-6-0T

sem34090

Ahem!

As the OP of this topic I really must protest at the sheer off-topic turn this thread has taken since I left it last!

We OP's are very proud of the care we offer our topics, and it always disheartening to see all our nurturing slip out of the way and the topic continue on its ugly turn of ceasing to discuss its core purpose!

So saddened am I at this turn of events, that I feel I must offer you all a reminder as to what this topic is really about - E1 tank engines:

j72_1720.jpg

Ahem!

As the OP of this topic I really must protest at the sheer off-topic turn this thread has taken since I left it last!

We OP's are very proud of the care we offer our topics, and it always disheartening to see all our nurturing slip out of the way and the topic continue on its ugly turn of ceasing to discuss its core purpose!

So saddened am I at this turn of events, that I feel I must offer you all a reminder as to what this topic is really about - E1 tank engines:

j72_1720.jpg

Eee ... one 'as to wonder whether young OP's gettin' a wee bit riled !!?!

I would advise, Mr W. Green that you make note of the image used to illustrate my post as a sign of my ironic and comical tone...

Eee ... one 'as to wonder whether young OP's missed W.Green's mildly sarcastic and - hopefully - comical tone ? 

............................... anyway, back on the subject of Brighton E1 class 0-6-0 tanks* - is there anything more to discuss about the forthcoming Model Rail Model at the moment ? ............ or for that matter about anything else that's not had any coverage on these pages for ages : Rails A1X, Bachmann H1 & H2 p'raps ....... is the Kernow LSWR Road Van dead in the water ? ......................

* briefly, before the next OT wander

• Like 1

Mr W. Green, Wiltshire.

I do apologise for my apparent misconstruing of your comment - I was in fact attempting to maintain an unusual state of humour, but as always I failed!

Ever yours,

Brigadier Arthur Gormanstrop (Mrs)

Anyway, I suppose we'll just need to bump the thread in 2020, or when some actual work starts. Seems a bit weird announcing something when no work has started on it at all, but then again...

Maybe the topic should continue as it has, with me posting a picture of an LBSCR E1 at least once a week to maintain the core as to what the thread is supposed to be about?!!

2012-isle-of-wight-steam-railway-havenst

• Like 1

Mr W. Green, Wiltshire.

I do apologise for my apparent misconstruing of your comment - I was in fact attempting to maintain an unusual state of humour, but as always I failed!

Ever yours,

Anyway, I suppose we'll just need to bump the thread in 2020, or when some actual work starts. Seems a bit weird announcing something when no work has started on it at all, but then again...

Maybe the topic should continue as it has, with me posting a picture of an LBSCR E1 at least once a week to maintain the core as to what the thread is supposed to be about?!!

Firstly, it depends what you mean by 'work started'. The reason for announcing it is simple - to avoid risk of duplication by some other manufacturer, at which point any work done would be time and money wasted. We had already dropped one potential model from our plans because someone else announced it. (CJL)

Edited by dibber25
  • Like 1

Mr W. Green, Wiltshire.

Ever yours,

Not quite no work at all : they've done some homework on suitable prototypes even if design of the model hasn't begun so far as we know !

I think it's a fair bet that most of the models I've been interested in recently would be classified as 'niche' so it's not very likely that two manufacturers would consider any of those prototypes concurrently - but it HAS happened with other locos. The market place was probably big enough for two Std 4MTs or 08 shunters but if two factories were secretly working on E1s in parallel one of them would lose out big time in the end - so an early announcement is probably advisable from a commercial point of view ............... even if many, many gallons of troth are generated before anything hits the shelves.

• Like 1

Firstly, it depends what you mean by 'work started'. Though no physical design work has been done, many hours of work have gone into research, checking detail differences and deciding which versions to do in which livery. Original drawings also need to be located as the surviving example is not in  suitable condition for reference. The reason for announcing it is simple - to avoid risk of duplication by some other manufacturer, at which point any work done would be time and money wasted. We had already dropped one potential model from our plans because someone else announced it. (CJL)

On the contrary I would have thought an announcement saying no physical work done and release planned so far in the future, is an invitation to competitors.

As for the buyers we get rather tired of someone "claiming" a subject as theirs but not producing the goods for many years.

• RMweb Gold

As for the buyers we get rather tired of someone "claiming" a subject as theirs but not producing the goods for many years.

No we don’t. We are delighted by an announcement and welcome the near-certainty that no-one else will waste time and money in duplicating it. This hobby makes no-one rich, and we have no wish to see slim margins eroded by abortive costs.

What we do get tired of is the same people whinging that a model takes years to reach them.

What we do get tired of is the same people whinging that a model takes years to reach them.

And more often than not it's those with no idea with what's involved in getting todays ' working pieces of art' to their little train-set. :sungum:

• RMweb Gold

Ah, but how many weeks could you keep this up without repeating yourself? Answer me that!  :scratchhead:

Still on thread . . . . . . . 

I think MOST of us accept that years WILL be taken from first announcement to on the shelves/doorstep/layout .................... what is harder to accept is that some models seem to take years from first announcement to any further signs of progress : while the smaller guys obviously don't have the resources that Hornby can ( almost ) afford to spend on the 'Engine Shed', a total absence of any updates can look like the announcement was just a 'blocking move' !

• RMweb Gold

and what is wrong with a 'blocking move'??? Model rail have clearly already put a lot of research into this, so for them that is money! and if you want to bring the bigger manufacturers into it then with an expected release of 2020 then it is still quicker than a lot of recent Bachmann releases!

Gary

edit: and if anyone really feels that Model Rail is going about this the wrong way and they know better, I look forward to seeing what R-T-R loco you are releasing!!!!!

Edited by BlueLightning
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

I think MOST of us accept that years WILL be taken from first announcement to on the shelves/doorstep/layout .................... what is harder to accept is that some models seem to take years from first announcement to any further signs of progress : while the smaller guys obviously don't have the resources that Hornby can ( almost ) afford to spend on the 'Engine Shed', a total absence of any updates can look like the announcement was just a 'blocking move' !

So let's consider process for a moment.

Firstly some work inevitably has to be done before announcement to make sure that the right thing and right (for the market) variants are considered with no daft faux pas.  So a sensibly announced model will already have involved some work - as is patently obvious with the MR E1.  If somebody is prepared to put time, and perhaps money, and certainly goodwill, into that initial work it must indicate a degree of intent on their part - i.e. they are serious.

Then comes the hard bit - in today's competitive market place is anybody going to spend a lot of time and money trying to run to earth detail drawings or spend several thousand £s on scanning a prototype if they are never going to get that money back?  I doubt they would last long in business if they did throwaway money like that.  But to arrange a scan takes time - you need the object in the right place in the right condition and then you also have to get the scanning company to make their person and equipment available at that place and at the right time.  experienced people involved in scanning for the rail industry (yes their core business is doing it on the big railway) tend to be busy so aligning dates & places isn't as simple as it might sound.

Once the scan is done it has to be processed into something usable to produce a CAD - that takes time.  Then off goes the detail, particularly so in the case of the commissioners, to the other side of the world to get the CADs underway and then a can start a long and drawn out iterative process of CADs and emails flying across the globe as details are checked and altered, alterations are checked, and so on and so forth.   It is all far less simple than it sounds and it consumes time and for many smaller concerns in particular that time requirement is likely to be competing with other time requirements (such as actually running a profitable business) so work on various things has to be prioritised.

With the best will in the world and everything going absolutely right at every stage of the process you might get through that stage in around 18-20 months.  If things don't go right the iterative process lengthens, delays occur with even maximum time spent on project and we are into years.  if you have the people resources, and the money then things can happen more quickly but even then how long does it all take?  There are plenty of models which are seemingly on the shelves with a handful of months of them being announced - but that is where someone has been either potentially expensively bold in hoping there'll be no competition or duplication occurs.

• Like 1

and what is wrong with a 'blocking move'??? Model rail have clearly already put a lot of research into this, so for them that is money! and if you want to bring the bigger manufacturers into it then with an expected release of 2020 then it is still quicker than a lot of recent Bachmann releases!

Gary

edit: and if anyone really feels that Model Rail is going about this the wrong way and they know better, I look forward to seeing what R-T-R loco you are releasing!!!!!

The 'blocking move' comment was not directed at the - relatively recently announced - E1 ......... but there are other items which don't appear to have advanced for a long, long time.

I'm all for manufacturers testing the market by making announcements to see what the reaction would be like. If it works to help remove some of the risk with a limited market, all well and good. It's a bit naïve to take an announcement as a 'letter of intent' in this day and age.

Edited by bike2steam
  • Like 2

This is a link to the E1 page on Dave Searle's LB&SCR website. You could tick them off there if you wanted?

http://www.lbscr.org/locos/E1.html

Cheers

Ian

I got this when I clicked the link

Not Found

The requested URL /lbscrorg/locos/E1.html was not found on this server.

Apache/2.4.33 (Unix) Server at www.lbscr.org Port 80