Rapido LB&SCR Class E1 0-6-0T

sem34090

I'm all for manufacturers testing the market by making announcements to see what the reaction would be like. If it works to help remove some of the risk with a limited market, all well and good. It's a bit naïve to take an announcement as a 'letter of intent' in this day and age.

But when the announcement comes with 3D CAD imagery I HOPE it can be taken seriously ......... we all understand that the best made plans can become derailed later in the process but in one particular case, it's getting on for four years since such an announcement and nothing official has been heard of the product since* ( it's understood that the original designer is no longer involved ! )

* though it's still on the commissioning Company's website

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

The 'blocking move' comment was not directed at the - relatively recently announced - E1 ......... but there are other items which don't appear to have advanced for a long, long time.

If the comment is not aimed at the E1, then you may find that the E1 thread is not the place to be making it.

• RMweb Gold

I got this when I clicked the link

Not Found

The requested URL /lbscrorg/locos/E1.html was not found on this server.

Apache/2.4.33 (Unix) Server at www.lbscr.org Port 80

A little bit of searching found this:

http://www.lbscr.org/Rolling-Stock/Locomotives/Stroudley/E1.xhtml

Edit: I see that burgundy has already posted this. Sorry for duplication. Moral? Read the full thread before responding to a post!

Edited by Mick Bonwick
  • Like 1

I just want to point out that this year is flying by us, and it will probably be midway through 2019 before we know it. That means that for them to reach the 2020 production date we should probably be seeing physical samples in the next 6-8 months surely. Unless there are massive delays, (Bachmann H2 WHERE ARE YOU?!), I would think progress should be quite quick.

• Like 1

I just want to point out that this year is flying by us, and it will probably be midway through 2019 before we know it. That means that for them to reach the 2020 production date we should probably be seeing physical samples in the next 6-8 months surely. Unless there are massive delays, (Bachmann H2 WHERE ARE YOU?!), I would think progress should be quite quick.

Magazines and bookazines, the J70, then the 16xx, then the E1........priorities. (CJL)

• Like 3

If - a very important word - things go well you can have final product 9 to 12 months after first sample.  That would mean a physical sample could be as late as December 2019 for a 2020 release, or up to 18 months to wait.

But that is all speculation and all very dependent on that word IF.  But don't start panicking if there are no samples by the end of this year as that is highly unlikely.

• Like 1

Well, if they spend all day playing cards with themselves, it’s no wonder it takes ages to produce a toy engine.

For those who really cannot wait, there are two perfectly acceptable kits of the E tank.

post-9472-0-32953900-1530559875_thumb.jpg

One is a SEFinecast whitemetal kit; the other is an Albion etched brass kit. Spot which is which.

Best wishes

Eric  

• Like 12

• 2 weeks later...

What happens when yer don't apply enough coats of varnish. Caught up with this example yesterday at a small show at Moors Valley, I built 25 years ago for my old Bembridge layout ( now on Mark Pretious, Merstone layout). An old Wills body kit on a scratchbuilt chassis using Gibson side-frames. Now I'm thinking of getting another one( plus L&Y 2-4-2T, 50705) for the 'paddy' trains on my new layout based on the Cannock area, which includes colliery exchange sidings, now that'd get 'rivet-counters' scratching their heads. :sungum:

post-7336-0-87756000-1531731704_thumb.jpg

• Like 10

• 2 months later...

I have a pair of N's but I think of them more as Southern than SECR. They were the dominant goods power on the ex-LSWR/North Cornwall line to Padstow. And I have a P Class as well. All of these loco's are in Bulleid Black with Sunshine SOUTHERN so I forget it originally was SECR. The fiction of the P Class in Padstow is that it was being tried out as a replacement for BWT's on the Wenford Clay turn. The C Class was somehow mistaken for a Black Motor and accidentally sent west and forgotten that that it was there once it was at Wadbridge sub shed.  I would have to consider an H as a possible substitute for my LSWR O2 or M7. And as for that Merchant Navy that somehow made it to Padstow over Meldon viaduct on the remainder of an ACE instead of a WC/BoB.......

There are reports that there was actually a trial in real life of a P Class locomotive at Wadebridge to see if they could replace the Beattie Well Tanks. 

Samuel.

Edited by sc2016

There are reports that there was actually a trial in real life of a P Class locomotive at Wadebridge to see if they could replace the Beattie Well Tanks. 

Samuel.

I thought I just made that up to justify buying one.

• 2 weeks later...

I thought I just made that up to justify buying one.

When the P class locomotive was announced I looked online to see if i could buy one within certain criteria i use when buying locomotives to make sure i don't buy to many of them. In the resulting research i found out about the trail at Wadebridge.

Didn’t know a P was trialed at Wadebridge. But I know one was trialled at Lyme Regis to replace the adams radial tanks. But it spread the track and was sent on its merry way back home.

Big James

I think it was trailled at Wadebridge first then went to Lyme Regis afterwards in the same year.

• 2 months later...

Well, it goes against everything I stand for, but I will probably try and do an E1r cab and bunker for you all...

I've only just found this thread, and I'm very excited.

I'm modelling part of the North Devon Line and need at least three E1/R locos ... so a conversion/add-on for the cab and bunker would be very much appreciated.

This would be a better route for me than trying to build several white metal kits.

• RMweb Gold

I must say it is funny someone commenting that this:

2012-isle-of-wight-steam-railway-havenst

Is too similar to this:

secr_178_and_bluebell_323_by_mrathehedge

Yet isn't commenting that this:

4482106446_98277f9733_b.jpg

Looks much like this:

f800f1cfc20ffe92853694dbb1d55ee6.jpg

Oh! Come on! The clevis pins on the sanders are totally different! I don't know, some people......