• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Re6/6

Re6/6

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 3,869 posts

Posted 05 June 2018 - 14:06

We need to bin the Peco code 75 points on our club test track as they have become unreliable in both the mechanical switching and the electrics.

We wish to build replacements in copperclad construction but need to know the code of FB rail that would join with the Peco code 75 plain line. The construction would be of direct soldering to the copperclad timbering.

Any advice would be gratefully received.

Thanks.

#2 roythebus

roythebus

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 2,853 posts
  • LocationNear the 15" gauge and the 5"gauge, far from standard gauge, but 25 miles from Calais.

Posted 05 June 2018 - 23:33

The clue being Code 75!

#3 Re6/6

Re6/6

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 3,869 posts

Posted 06 June 2018 - 07:11

Yes, thanks Roy! I could only find code 83 rail but have now found 75 from Kernow.

#4 Mersey507003

Mersey507003

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 836 posts

Posted 06 June 2018 - 22:16

Hi Re6/6

Although I have been building track in OO Gauge using Code 100 rail, my technique has been to use a 40 watt soldering iron as anything lower than 40 watt will not melt the solder properly to make a good join between the copperclad and the rail.

My experience is purely limited to building just straight and curved pieces but they have been built by the process you are looking at using on your turnouts.

The main thing to remember is that the copperclad sleepers need a small gap cut roughly halfway between the rails to prevent shorting out the power, however, with turnouts there are several places where mulitple gaps will be needed to prevent shorting out the power.

I have attempted to convert peco points to copperclad sleepers with little success so I did a serach on youtube and found the channel called fast tracks tools where the commentator talks about building straight and curved pieces in 1 video but he has also done a series of 12 step by step videos on building a turnout.

The step by step videos are very useful for building turnouts and can be applied to building left and right hand turnouts.

I can fully recommend watching these videos.

• Thanks x 1