Bachmann Times - Summer 2018 (product updates)

Andy Y

• RMweb Premium

My magazine has now arrived and it does give an update on all the Area Rep models. 47625 (BR Blue weathered) and 47628 (GWR green) are down for July/August and June/July respectively, but there are no dates yet for any of the Class 37s that have been announced recently, although all are listed. Interesting that the previous edition from 3 months ago said that 47628 was available now, implies at least it was on its way by sea.

But what is more noticeable to me is the models that are "In Production" (but meaning "approved for production"). The BR Carflats and TPO Stowage Van are for example listed as such in both magazine, so clearly not everything get to be manufactured soon after approval but presumably has to wait for a production slot competing against the whole Kader range, not just Bachmann Branchline. I suspect that is as frustrating for Bachmann as it is for us, especially when the model then passes from one catalogue "year" to the next and so sees another price increase.

• RMweb Gold

This is new information to me, and interesting; one suspects that, had H gone ahead instead of having presumably to tighten their corporate belt and reign new production in a bit, we would have an RTR 94xx on the shelves before now.  But Baccy are in a better position chassis wise, as the existing pannier chassis can be used as the basis for a 94xx.  Hornby would have had to develop a completely new 0-6-0 chassis as their generic one is not suitable; the axle spacing is not correct.  New wheels and coupling rods, less of an issue but it all mounts up, would have been needed as well.

I am more or less decided on the Lima body/Bachmann chassis route for this loco, and it will not be a disaster to have 2 on the books when the full Baccy finally does arrive.  Recent issues with my Hornby 42xx have highlighted that my coal train on Cwmdimbath needs a reserve loco other than the 56xx, which has other work to do and cannot realistically appear on a coal train less than half an hour or so after it's previous working's departure.  Of course, there is no reason that any of my locos cannot be allocated to the coal train, but they are less likely candidates.  I intend ultimately to have two seperate coal clearance diagrams, with different reporting number targets carried; this is based in reality as both Abergwynfi and Nantymoel were serviced in this way, so more locos are needed anyway.  

More locos.  What a shame...

Edited by The Johnster

• 1 month later...

A Bachmann consignment arrived end of last week as TMC advised they had been notified that their commissioned double bolster and plate wagons had arrived at a UK port. These were stated to be 'In shipping' in this edition of the Bachmann Times, as were the Freightliner FFA/FGA container flats. Is it possible that the FFAs have arrived. It's a bit confusing on the Bachmann website, availability list, as that shows the FFAs as August, but the Post Office storage Mk 1 coaches as July, but Bachmann Times had the POTs as 'in production' . Maybe one of these travelled with the Plate wagons.

Edited by rembrow

• RMweb Gold

I note that the estimated delivery date for the 94xx has been unceremoniously dropped from the online catalogue; it is not even 'TBA'.  A price, £124.99, is quoted, which seems surprising since they can't say when it's going on sale, but there is no method of pre-ordering so I assume orders are not being taken yet.  All of which raises my suspicions as to exactly what stage of development this model is at; it is not too long since it was being touted as available next September, 2019.  I understand it was originally projected for late 2015, and it seems likely to me that the model does not even exist in CAD form as yet, never mind in any physical manifestation.  Are production slots booked for it?  I doubt it to be honest, and doubt that we will see this loco for at least another 2 years.

My Limbach has now been built and put into service, and will do for now but has too many shortcomings to remain in service when the Bachmann model is available.  I can understand that manufacturers have to play their cards a bit close to avoid being gazumped to the market place, though it would delight me if, say, Oxford, surprised us with a ready to go 94xx ahead of them; they sort of deserve it with this sort of, sort of what, mendacity seems too strong but whatever it is it doesn't inspire confidence or a sense that they are concerned about their customers.  I will still be buying the Baccy 94xx when it appears, of course, transferring the number plates from the Limbach, and of course they know this full well!  But they may well be losing friends over this, and you never know when you'll need your friends, as Hornby will tell you...

• Like 2

I note that the estimated delivery date for the 94xx has been unceremoniously dropped from the online catalogue; it is not even 'TBA'.  A price, £124.99, is quoted, which seems surprising since they can't say when it's going on sale, but there is no method of pre-ordering so I assume orders are not being taken yet.  All of which raises my suspicions as to exactly what stage of development this model is at; it is not too long since it was being touted as available next September, 2019.  I understand it was originally projected for late 2015, and it seems likely to me that the model does not even exist in CAD form as yet, never mind in any physical manifestation.  Are production slots booked for it?  I doubt it to be honest, and doubt that we will see this loco for at least another 2 years.

My Limbach has now been built and put into service, and will do for now but has too many shortcomings to remain in service when the Bachmann model is available.  I can understand that manufacturers have to play their cards a bit close to avoid being gazumped to the market place, though it would delight me if, say, Oxford, surprised us with a ready to go 94xx ahead of them; they sort of deserve it with this sort of, sort of what, mendacity seems too strong but whatever it is it doesn't inspire confidence or a sense that they are concerned about their customers.  I will still be buying the Baccy 94xx when it appears, of course, transferring the number plates from the Limbach, and of course they know this full well!  But they may well be losing friends over this, and you never know when you'll need your friends, as Hornby will tell you...

Maybe Kernow have something to announce tomorrow

• RMweb Gold

Now, given I've just finished a Limbach, that'd be bl**dy typical, wouldn't it?

I'm not about to lose any sleep on this one, Johnster. I haven't bought a 64xx yet, just panniers and 56xx. My Lima model will suffice for a while, and I haven't finished that yet. Lurking in the shadows is a South-Eastern kit as well, so I'm not desperate.

I do notice, however that since you & others have been posting on your upgrades, the 94xx value prices have increased on EBuy-Gum. I was going to do another. Can't get one just now.....

Cheers,

Ian.

• RMweb Gold

I'm not about to lose any sleep on this one, Johnster. I haven't bought a 64xx yet, just panniers and 56xx. My Lima model will suffice for a while, and I haven't finished that yet. Lurking in the shadows is a South-Eastern kit as well, so I'm not desperate.

I do notice, however that since you & others have been posting on your upgrades, the 94xx value prices have increased on EBuy-Gum. I was going to do another. Can't get one just now.....

Cheers,

Ian.

Quick squiz on 'bay for 'buy it now' Baccy panniers shows a few around the £45 mark, tenner less than I paid, but of course these may not be the exact same chassis that I got.  There are also one or two Mainline and Replica available for around the same price.  But overall I think you are probably on to something; my first donor chassis, an early Bachmann Replica type which has gone under an 8750 body to replace a worn out Mainline as it turned out to be not suitable for the 94xx, was £33; mind, this was an auction, not 'buy it now'.

It may be worth your while playing the long game and waiting for prices to ease back a bit before you pounce, but I'd say it's a dubious idea.  Prices may not ease back; in fact the longer Baccy delay their model the more demand there will probably be for Limbach donors on 'bay and other s/h outlets.  And it will suck your time, which you would probably rather spend modelling or operating.

I'd recommend buying a new 64xx asap as well; they are a lovely little model, you need one (at least one), and prices are increasing.  Antics have them for £89 which is probably as good as you'll do.

It's a promotion for a book about BR Blue era diesels in Cornwall. I seriously doubt it has anything to do with 94XXs.

More likely a wagon, Class 37 or 47.

Jason

Phew!!!

• RMweb Gold

Quick squiz on 'bay for 'buy it now' Baccy panniers shows a few around the £45 mark, tenner less than I paid, but of course these may not be the exact same chassis that I got.  There are also one or two Mainline and Replica available for around the same price.  But overall I think you are probably on to something; my first donor chassis, an early Bachmann Replica type which has gone under an 8750 body to replace a worn out Mainline as it turned out to be not suitable for the 94xx, was £33; mind, this was an auction, not 'buy it now'.

It may be worth your while playing the long game and waiting for prices to ease back a bit before you pounce, but I'd say it's a dubious idea.  Prices may not ease back; in fact the longer Baccy delay their model the more demand there will probably be for Limbach donors on 'bay and other s/h outlets.  And it will suck your time, which you would probably rather spend modelling or operating.

I'd recommend buying a new 64xx asap as well; they are a lovely little model, you need one (at least one), and prices are increasing.  Antics have them for £89 which is probably as good as you'll do.

Phew!!!

Yes. Good point. I think there is an inverse ratio, whereby if you're really looking for something, then you'll wait forever. Stop looking and bang! There you are!. As for the 64xx, I'll wait for a while. I'm always a bit ambivalent about the Baccy 64xx. Sure, it's a nice model, but Bachmann knew best, and shoved the topfeed on anyway.As such, it went from 'must have' to maybe, well sometime'. There are 2 other 2021 tanks here to be finished, and they don't eat or drink.... If another Lima shows up, then fine. If not, that's

fine as well!

Cheers,

Ian.

Edited by tomparryharry

I thought that shortly after Hawthorn Dene hit the circuit a couple of years ago I'd have a Dapol J72 or several running on it.  Dapol dropped theirs because the Farish one was likely to be ready first.

I'm now wondering if Hawthorn Dene will get a J72 at all as I'm retiring the layout in November 2020 after Spalding show.....

Les