Little Loco Company - Class 22

The Nth Degree

The 22 and 50 share the same production facilities (different to the Rustons) so they will appear in that order, but hopefully not too long of a delay between them.

Several mentions of the Class 50 have been made in this thread, the most pertinent of which is above, two pages back. We have a direct competitor for this model so we are keeping news of its development to an absolute minimal level (subsequent models will have no public announcements at all). Our competitor – a much larger company than ours – could quite easily out-compete us on several levels, if they chose to do so. It's doubtful that they would, but it is possible. This venture is a risky one for both companies, so I imagine they are going to be just as cagey as us. With a few hundred reservations already in place we hope to have the upper hand when it comes to placing hard orders.

Can I ask if you are registered as a funder or do you wish to be a retail customer? Funders will always be first to know of any news, and the next planned news item will be a call for funding to commence.

It's always best to email if you have any specific questions about a current or development product. I can't be nearly as open on a public forum as I can be in an email.

Thanks, Steve

sales@littleloco.co.uk

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...

I see the retail price has suddenly risen from £475 to £550

Paul R

No prices have been raised. You are comparing the funder price (with a discount) to the standard retail price. I wouldn't ever raise prices by choice, although the Rustons have gone up by about £20 because it's been languishing so long in the factory all the component prices have gone up.

After the 22 is released I can start to stockpile volatile components to lock in prices better, just in case there's another Ruston episode.

Cheers, Steve

Will they be stocked by Hattons & other retailers at a more realistic price I wonder?

I'm afraid not. There's not enough profit in the models to pass on to retailers for their margin so they are all being sold direct. I'm talking to retailers in other countries (Australia, Germany, Canada) about stocking our models to spread distribution costs.

I'm afraid not. There's not enough profit in the models to pass on to retailers for their margin so they are all being sold direct. I'm talking to retailers in other countries (Australia, Germany, Canada) about stocking our models to spread distribution costs.

Good luck with the Class 22 then, way out of my price range I'm afraid :)

I'm rather looking forward to mine....

I do like a quality job....

Agreed. It will be the most I've ever paid for a loco by some way, even at the discounted price, but I think this one will be worth it :yes: & while the 2 American outline locos I want in O aren't even made by anybody ('yet' - hopefully!!) I might as well go to town on my UK interests. :D

• 4 weeks later...

Is there an email /final payment reminder due anytime soon?

Yes, Mr Embarrassed admits he can't remember & seems to have deleted the relevant email. :( :banghead: :mosking:

Not to worry, third and final payments are not due yet. I did put a very loose estimate on the original email that it would be around this time, but that depended largely on manufacturing partners' schedules. It seems some factories close down completely over summer! I thought that was a 70s thing...

There will be Update 3 within a few days with the final chassis design. The original idea was for this model to be the first to feature our modular chassis principle, but it's so short we can't make it work without some compromises in strength, so this model will have a bespoke chassis instead. I must admit we've spent more time than we allocated trying to make it work, but the mechanical integrity of the model is more important.

For clarity, as I know that may sound a bit confusing, we had planned a common central unit containing motor, gearbox, sound unit, electronics, etc and we would just change the two ends depending on prototype, but we're saving that for a slightly longer model. The general layout will be the same, though. All very neat and tidy with plug and play upgrades/replacements.

Steve

• Like 5

It seems some factories close down completely over summer! I thought that was a 70s thing...

Reminds me of my Bro-in-Law, who when he worked in a factory, would ask me how much time off I had for Christmas - his factory shut down for two weeks. He was always incredulous that I, being in Road transport, and the Supermarket Supply Chain, barely got 2 days off, if I was lucky. :rolleyes:

But funnily enough, once he went self-employed, he stopped asking that question. :mosking:

Class 22 update

Nikki and I have been having a close look at the chassis. This was to include our new modular chassis design, where we create a standard mid-section containing the drive, sound and electronic modules onto a standard common platform. This would have saved costs on future models, as all the tooling would have been created and we’d just have to design new bogie mounts and prototype-specific ends. Alas, this was not to be. The loco is too short to safely cut the mid-section out, so this model will have its own unique chassis. We’ll continue with the modular design on another, longer model we have planned after the 22.

Now that we’ve finally decided to opt for a bespoke chassis we can crack on. As you can see below, it’s very neat. No spaghetti wiring, no open cavities to collect dust and everything is plug-and-play and designed for upgrading or replacing easily.

post-11337-0-16034200-1533304541_thumb.jpg

We have given a lot of thought into every aspect of the model, including the bits most manufacturers forget about, like the wiring. We’ve produced universal wiring looms, all hidden away in dedicated channels cut into the chassis block, so not only are the individual parts replaceable, but the wiring sections are too, and all plug into our new Common Interface Board. Access to the decoder, which is hidden in one of the water tanks, is just a couple screws away. The other water tank contains the built-in capacitors – enough for several seconds of unpowered movement with full lights and sound.

post-11337-0-16088500-1533304560_thumb.jpg

If you manage to get to Guildex this year (1st & 2nd September) we’ll have a full bogie print on display. This is truly unlike anything you’ll see on any other RTR model, so I encourage you to pop along to our stand to take a look.

Base models start at £550 and include a transfer set applicable for your livery, a basic non-sound decoder, high quality audio speaker, large capacitor bank and several optional fitting extras, like snow ploughs, alternative pipes and bearing covers.

Reservations are being taken for this ground-breaking model on our website here http://www.littleloco.co.uk/product/nbl-type-2-class-22/. This model will be only available from Little Loco Company direct. The release date is expected to be at the end of this year.

• Like 6

Hi,

Looks great, ingenious!

The box like structure at the rear (speaker enclosure), is that removable?

I would like to run all of my locos battery power and RC/BTC, so I need to store batteries and I will need to access specific wires too, is that still going to be possible? Sound etc isn't important to me at this time.

ATVB

CME

Edited by CME and Bottlewasher

Apologies for the late response, I'm just back from a camping trip.

Yes, completely removable, just 4 screws, but the motorised roof fan assembly is mounted on top of the speaker enclosure. You could take the speaker out and use the box to store your batteries and radio gear and have a charging point in the speaker grill. All the cables are plug and socket (I'll send you the exact spec later) so you can simply plug in your power loom into the Common Interface Board so it's all neat and tidy. You can use the existing cable channels too.

The capacitor board will probably be redundant in your case so you can unplug it and sell it for a few quid and free up more space in the water tanks. We are using 6x 1F 2.7V double layer supercaps.

Steve

Apologies for the late response, I'm just back from a camping trip.

Yes, completely removable, just 4 screws, but the motorised roof fan assembly is mounted on top of the speaker enclosure. You could take the speaker out and use the box to store your batteries and radio gear and have a charging point in the speaker grill. All the cables are plug and socket (I'll send you the exact spec later) so you can simply plug in your power loom into the Common Interface Board so it's all neat and tidy. You can use the existing cable channels too.

The capacitor board will probably be redundant in your case so you can unplug it and sell it for a few quid and free up more space in the water tanks. We are using 6x 1F 2.7V double layer supercaps.

Steve

Hi Steve,

Thanks - that sounds great, exciting in fact!

Ttfn.

Kind regards,

CME.

The detail here is really impressive. Although the cost is rather higher than I would like I have to say its worth it

Paul R

As someone who is in the business, I can assure you that the price for this model is fair. 

• Like 4

As someone who is in the business, I can assure you that the price for this model is fair.

Hi Chris,

For such a high spec model I think that the phrase Value For Money (VFM) applies.

For years UK modellers have wanted Fleischman spec models, but the prices reflect the quality (especially when compared to Eg. old Lima class 37s).

A more basic drive train may lower the spec and thus price and perhaps ruin the ship for a ha'porth of tar by ruining running quality etc.

Atvb

CME

Edited by CME and Bottlewasher

Thanks both!

A reminder of the spec of this series of models:

Custom-wound high-torque motor

Authentic drivetrain and bogie gearboxes

All-steel blackened spoked wheels with low friction pick-up

Hifi-quality sound system (used in high end home audio speakers)

DCC as standard – either sound or non-sound

High capacity stay-alive built in

Common Interface Board system with replaceable loom

Every major component designed for plug-in replacement

Various optional parts included for customisation

Full decal sheet for your livery

And of course, it will be the most accurate Class 22 model ever produced in any scale, RTR or kit.

I think it's a bargain (but I would say that!).

• Like 5

Will this model operate in analogue mode, and if not will a blanking plug be provided to replace the 'basic' chip?

Yes, It will operate on analogue by default.

The reason for all models being DCC (sound or non sound) is that a high power stay alive can be installed as standard and with ZIMO decoders this can also work on DC power. This makes the models super smooth running and reliable.

Best regards,

Paul

Hi All,

2 questions please - the order page for the Class 22 has a ‘personalized decoration’ option - is that just for numbering or are there other things on offer?

Can we preorder one and pay when it’s released or do we have to pay now? Looking at the PayPal option it looked like I had to pay now.

Thank you.