Little Loco Company - Kits

The Nth Degree

Yep, correct again.

I thought of both those after posting. Still, I'm enjoying the thread for it's insights. I've learned some stuff I didn't know again, and that's always worth doing.

The next job was to fit the running plate support outriggers, the return angle irons behind the buffer plates and the sand boxes. Unfortunately, due to the restricted size of the test sheet I couldn't fit all four sand boxes on it, so this is a lop-sided test piece. Ignoring the fact that I didn't have the strength or tools to correctly fold the sand boxes, I have placed them in position. Some cast filler caps and activation equipment will be supplied in the final kit.

post-11337-0-79588300-1431257989_thumb.jpg

post-11337-0-63061700-1431258001_thumb.jpg

Something I don't like about some kits are the single layer brake shoes. After so much effort has been put into designing detail into other areas of the kit – sometimes largely hidden – these thin and very obvious parts are supplied as virtual wafers. I was determined to provide much more realistic shoes, and it's these I'll move on to next, probably later tonight.

Steve,

i'm one of the few who is building one of your 03 kits, and i am grateful of the work you put in to improve the original, which i can see was quite poor.

I've now got a rolling chassis and rods fitted to the wheels, and am starting to look at the running plate, will have to get a picture uploaded.

I'll definately be interested in at least one of these later ones that you are working on, biggest issue i have had so far is working out where to drill the chassis for the brake hangers and pick ups, i would ask that these are marked on your new kits, even if its only a 1/2 etch rivet mark, something to assist would have helped.

good luck with this, and keep the updates coming.

Gareth

Hello Gareth, hope you're well.

Yes, the original kit was quite a simple effort with some basic flaws. When I bought the rights I was aware of a few problems and also asked previous builders to let me know of any others I didn't know of. I corrected as many as I could on the tool, but there were some which I couldn't fix without considerable expense – it was expensive enough as it was.

These new kits will have no flaws once they are released, as long as they are built as intended. Regarding the brakes, location holes have already been included, as you can see from the new frames.

Any previous purchaser will be able to claim a loyalty discount on the new kits, as mentioned on the blog. I still have your details on file and I will be in touch with you and everyone closer to the release date – previous customers will have priority on these new kits. In addition, there will be three versions of the 04 to choose from!

Steve

www.littleloco.co.uk

I left off talking about brake shoes. I was determined to produce some shoes with substance and not flat, so planned a fold-up shoe. As with the sand boxes these are too fiddly for a sheet of 0.55mm nickel-silver. They were very difficult to fold – not necessarily the box shape, but the curve of the braking surface. Again, the theory and design was sound, just that the item needs to be moved to a thinner sheet and keep the sand boxes company.

post-11337-0-24082900-1431451933_thumb.jpg

post-11337-0-47517500-1431451944_thumb.jpg

I may still get these cast if a second test doesn't work.

That's the last item on Test Sheet 1. I hope that in a couple weeks I'll have a couple running plates to show, plus the cab and shunter's steps, maybe with some revised sand boxes and brake shoes. If you have any comments or suggestions I'll be happy to hear them.

• RMweb Premium

Steve

Would small parts like that be better if they were 3D printed - I help Paul Martin of EDM Models at shows and I know he's going down this route for some of the parts for his narrow gauge models - they are either supplied as a 3D print or he uses that as a master for either a resin or brass casting - much easier than several layers of etch.

This page illustrates the kit contents and the CAD used to produce the parts

http://www.ngtrains.com/Pages/EDM_Models/N1/B-res/b_resource.html

I may still get these cast if a second test doesn't work.

I rather like the multi-layer approach taken in most of the excellent WEP kits.

Don't like the resin approach of using 3D printing (but that's simply because I detest resin :) ) - but if could be done in brass. Fold up certainly gives depth but at the cost of time and fiddlyness.

I'm with Kenton in not liking resin, but with obvious advantages of not being conductive it does sound quite appealing for brake shoes.

What I was trying to achieve was a shape that could be folded up into a 3d form from flat material. This would have a couple advantages: it would give the builder something else to make - and if designed correctly it would be a simple extra job - and it would avoid the need for a casting, which are many times the cost of etches. It could be that this test has failed both those aims, but I'm willing to give it another go on thinner material before I resort to castings.

How I make those castings will be another question. 3d printing is finally getting to the stage where it could be used in pattern masters for certain items, and traditional forming or milling is always an option. One choice I'm pretty certain on though, I'm not using the 3d printed items in their raw form supplied in my kits. One thing in favour of casting is that all of the kits use exactly the same shoes, which will give me the benefit of sharing the cost across the range.

Steve,

not a fan of resin myself, the dust gets everywhere while filing parts.

I dont see the problem with building up layers of sheet, we do it quite sucessfully with motion parts.

Keep the god work steve, i'll be watching with interest..

Gareth 

Agreed Gareth, layering is always an option, it's just that I can't stand it, plus all the filling and filing that goes with it. I'd much rather design a fold up shape or cast it.

Talking of motion parts, I have to finish these ones off too. At a casual glance they look to be a simple design, but are in fact quite complex. All the component (jointed) parts of the rods are different sizes and thicknesses. I was quite surprised when I noticed this.

• 9 months later...

Apologies for not updating this thread with progress on the kits. While they have been progressing on the drawing board very slowly, my main occupation has been developing the next evolution of Little Loco Company.

I've been working on turning a tiny kit company into a brand new RTR company, and our first model is due to be announced officially next week. Working with a preservation group, together we hope to be able to supply an accurate and technologically advanced model – some features have not been available in British 0 gauge previously – and also to donate a considerable sum from the sale of these models to the preservation group I've been working with.

To date, about 2000 hours has been put into research. By next week, our new website will be launched, along with the next significant stage of the model evolution – the tooling. All CAD work has been completed, with only a few tweaks remaining. Once done, I will officially announce the model here and elsewhere and invite you to visit the website to log your interest.

Thanks, Steve

Hi Steve,

I am really looking forward to this impending announcement! I wish you all the best of luck, it is great to see such confidence in rtr O Gauge at the moment. It is particularly pleasing in that there appears to be opportunity for smaller suppliers and companies to come forward and deliver quality products, at sensible prices. It is really encouraging for the future of this scale!

David

Thank you David, I appreciate that.

I can't say I didn't have a lot of help along the way. The preservation society have been great, Chris Klein and Dave Jones have been immense with their support and advice, and more recently Paul Chetter is playing an invaluable part in the integration and application of my weird ideas, some of which will feature on future models.

Roll on Friday!

Aha, the when – that's a question even I can't answer! I hope to post an update in the morning before work, but I suspect it will be a quicky at lunch or something more substantial when I get home.

You're still taking about the announcement here, right?

Paul

Archived