APT-P Photographs

Hi All

DJM Dave, What APT Logo will be put on the Models...? or are we at a far to early stage to ask or confirm....!?!

I have also seen photos elsewhere, where the you see the LETTERS APT in RED, the LETTERS APT are also in Black not just an outline...?

post-5212-0-15927600-1528232203_thumb.jp

post-5212-0-41560600-1528232249_thumb.jp

Regards

Jamie

DJM Dave

With regards to the Directional Lighting on the Model, Using CV Settings, Will it be possible to alter the brightness of the LED's to mimic below on the Lighting... That would be a cool :sungum:  move if it's possible...? I know it's is possible on Domino Head Codes etc. to have One LED Brighter than the Other.

post-5212-0-26426000-1528232961_thumb.jp

post-5212-0-68640900-1528233071_thumb.jp

Regards

Jamie

• Like 1

Hi All

A Question for you KIT or Brian, as I was intrigued....

What did this box of tricks do...?

post-5212-0-82054100-1528235103_thumb.jp

7APT7, on 05 Jun 2018 - 22:45, said:snapback.png

Question for you KIT as I was intrigued

What did this box of tricks do...?

attachicon.gifAPT-P Crewe Heritage Centre (49).JPG

Regards

Jamie

Hi.

It's a "brake testing " unit that was used to see if the friction brakes where sticking. The lights would come one, with a siren to tell which brake and where it was stuck to the wheel. It's on the " A race against time " video and also there was a description above the unit describing it.

Brian

Regards

Jamie

Edited by 7APT7

• RMweb Gold

370006 here has both head/marker lights and one tail light lit. Would only one tail light lamp have been lit at a time?

Andi

Hi All

Plenty of Leg Room even in Second Class, while enjoying the views of West Coast Mainline, while having a Cup of Tea, courtesy of DJM Dave and watching the Original APT Program from back in the day!

post-5212-0-73971700-1528662709_thumb.jpg

post-5212-0-76621200-1528662760_thumb.jpg

post-5212-0-46515700-1528662847_thumb.jpg

post-5212-0-11884900-1528662904_thumb.jpg

Regards

Jamie

370006 here has both head/marker lights and one tail light lit. Would only one tail light lamp have been lit at a time?

Andi

Hi Andi

That's Interesting question as I only took the photos as they were lit on the day as you saw them to, it may be just to make them lit for show display reasons for Crewe Heritage Centre purposes, well that's what I concluded personally but maybe Brian can confirm, how they world have been lit back in the day when it ran, I did wondered at the time whether a bulb had blown but never gave it a thought as to whether there was only ever One Tail Light lit when it ran or Two.

Regards

Jamie

Hi All (Transferred from ‘OO gauge Crowdfunded APT-P (Warley announcement’)

Can you help confirm this part found towards the one end of the power car...?

post-5212-0-32458400-1528239860_thumb.jp

Was this part in Greu the 'Traction Motor' and the 'Transfer Gearbox' in Yellow and the Yellow Object on the RIGHT hand side, attached to the 'Hydrokinetic Brake' system which is connected to the 'Carden Shaft', as shown in Blue on the Power Car Coach outside in the last photo below.

post-5212-0-87982400-1528239926_thumb.jp

post-5212-0-60358600-1528240086_thumb.jp

post-5212-0-48320400-1528240145_thumb.jp

post-5212-0-46916400-1528240201_thumb.jp

post-5212-0-21121500-1528240033_thumb.jp

post-5212-0-85202000-1528239982_thumb.jp

Is that Blue Object in the photo below, is that the 'Carden Shaft', which is connected to the 'Final Drive Greabox' as shown in the Diagram Above...?

post-5212-0-57124800-1528240302_thumb.jp

That's what I think it is... can anyone confirm...

Regards

Jamie

7APT7, on 06 Jun 2018 - 00:15, said:snapback.png

Was this part in Greu the 'Traction Motor' and the 'Transfer Gearbox' in Yellow and the Yellow Object on the RIGHT hand side, attached to the 'Hydrokinetic Brake' system which is connected to the 'Carden Shaft', as shown in Blue on the Power Car Coach outside in the last photo below.

<snip>

Is that Blue Object in the photo below, is that the 'Carden Shaft', which is connected to the 'Final Drive Greabox' as shown in the Diagram Above...?

attachicon.gifAPT-P Power Car (12).JPG

Mr_Tilt, on 06 Jun 2018 - 14:05, said:snapback.png

See below to decode the gubbins in your pic.

FO7gJR.jpg

And yes, the big blue tube is the cardan shaft that connects the transfer 'box to the final drive box. It whizzes round at horrendous speeds, especially notable when your head is about 9" away from it, as mine was aboard the dreaded Trestrol!!!!!

Hi Kit

Thanks for the confirmation, I have a few pictures on a few other items but taken in the Dark... so not to good...

So were there two of these on either side where I was standing to take this, as in.... One for each wheel or through I couldn't real see TWO big blue tubes on the outside or if there were I missed it and don't have much of a close up of the cardan shaft that connects the transfer 'box to the final drive box.

I do find it interesting behind all the scenes of the APT-P comfort as to what made the APT-P tick as it were...! 

Mr_Tilt, on 06 Jun 2018 - 17:14, said:snapback.png

Yes, two per end, making four per Power Car. The cardan shafts cross each other so that the traction motor that sits above any one axle actually drives the opposite axle. It's difficult to see the other cardan shaft as it's on the other side of the bogie and all the traction and yaw brackets are in the way.

Hi Kit

That's great information, shame I never took a more close up of the Bogie on that one end, it is what I thought it was as in... have two then!

With Regards to the Centre Power Cab, I noticed on the inside and at the opposite end of the Cardan shaft (part in Blue) that connects the Transfer box to the Final Drive box etc,

It looked as if there was enough room to re-create the same on the other Bogie at the other end or the None Cardan shafted Bogie End (Excuse the Shafted, never thought I'd say that word in a good sentence way lol) which leads me to the question, was there ever originally or even a possibility to have had Dual Pantographs within the same Power Car, One at each End, Facing each other so to speak if raised up to the electrical wire / OHEL, hence removing the Second Power Car out of the Consist rake.

Hope that makes sense!

Sorry for the questions, I find it so interesting, and sorry to everyone if un-interesting, I'll get back to more photos as we move though my photos, I'm just trying to keep the photos all in the same subject together in one place!

Shoot me next to you get chance, I know DJM Dave would love a shot :triniti: ha-ha

Its all good stuff... that Kit and Brian are here to answer such questions so will all advance together.... (See what I did there...Advance...) :fan:  :hunter:

and you can never have to much knowledge...!

Regards

Jamie

Edited by 7APT7

Hi Jamie.

The empty A4 panel next to the emergency hammer, is in fact a mirror, so the buffet staff can see if anyone's approaching down the corridor and vice versa (passengers seeing buffet staff ) before they step out the kitchen.

Brian

Hi Brian

Interesting Never saw that being a Mirror, I thought a more of a Dinner Menu, shame the mirror as gone...

post-5212-0-97554000-1528664389_thumb.jpg

Thank you Brian for that, I need to come back with you and take more photos ha-ha

The 600+ I took was not enough lol

Regards

Jamie

Hi Kit

As I was saying about the kind of Generator on the side in RED

Behind which was the narrow corridor through to the Cab

post-5212-0-31201200-1528299168_thumb.jp

post-5212-0-87670400-1528299250_thumb.jp

The narrow corridor leading through to the Cab

post-5212-0-31868100-1528299482_thumb.jp

post-5212-0-05541400-1528299533_thumb.jp

Not sure what I was looking at in the Orange ?... in my amended Photo, can you shed more light on it as I had no light ha-ha :no:

craigy, on 06 Jun 2018 - 17:15, said:snapback.png

Hi Jamie.

The auxiliary room you have marked, in red is the main diesel engine area complete with it's panels for starting, clock hours etc, the yellow part is the battery charger underneath where the cloth was put are the batteries, that cloth was put there temporarily  to stop people touching or dropping things on the batteries. The mirror by the buffet car door is in fact a kind of reflective tape and not glass. The menu was at the other end of the bar area on the left above the litter bin as you go into the seating area.

Brian

Hi Brian

Great information, I did see the Blanket... I thought it was another Manikin... :nono: so interesting to know what was underneath it.

and ha-ha I have the Menu Photo at that end of the buffet, of what people would have been eating while travelling to London/Glasgow

Regards

Jamie

Edited by 7APT7

Hi Kit / Brian

As seen in the photos above... post

On the CAB End Trailer Car, the little narrow connecting corridor you go through from the Main Seating area through a narrow door and on into the Cab, is there some kind of Generator on the left side, if so what was the generator used for, I saw the total running hours clock, sad to see so low in hours, I will sort through a publish them soon. I had the idea, while not on Pantograph or loss of power it would supply electric to all the essentials of the APT that needed power, as well as Internal Lighting for Each Coach etc.

I do find it interesting behind all the scenes of comfort as to what made the APT tick as it were...! 

Regards

Jamie

Posted 08 June 2018 - 23:59

craigy, on 08 Jun 2018 - 22:13, said:snapback.png

Hi Jamie.

The storage area you have marked is in fact the bar area where the displays are, the first window then after that is the "crews area", where the circuit breakers, shelving and water inlet pipes are.

Brian

Hi Brian

Thanks for that valuable information, but as seen in the photo from the outside, there are Four Windows together at the one end of the Buffet Car..

post-5212-0-96154000-1528495926_thumb.jp

But I take it. due to the length from Seating Area to the Bar Display Area Where You Order Food etc., you pass the Bar Store Door and the length of the Brown/Maroon area before you come to the Display Bar itself, in that Bar Store Room must be the Fourth Window,

post-5212-0-64523600-1528496477_thumb.jp

post-5212-0-53702400-1528498947_thumb.jp

post-5212-0-47720100-1528495290_thumb.jp

Which would then leave the Two Blanked Out Windows (as seen from the outside below) we know there are Three Windows (on the Right) are the seating Area, so the Forth Window (nearest the Filled In Windows in the Centre on the Right) must be inside the Bar Store Room or part of where the circuit breakers, shelving and water inlet pipes are...! as you say.

So the Two Missing Windows the Gap between the Two LEFT Windows and the Four RIGHT Windows, (as seen in the Outside Photo below) The Missing Window Gap must start inside the Store Room and on into the Displays Area.

post-5212-0-71247000-1528496901_thumb.jp

(The Gape between the First Two Windows and Last Four Windows as seen from the outside) 

This must be where the Food/Cans of Pop/Beer are etc...  or The Displays Area as you say in the photos below, that you look at while you order your Food/Drinks etc...

post-5212-0-70688500-1528495530_thumb.jp

post-5212-0-01902100-1528497674_thumb.jp

I'm basing the information off the photos taken Only,

The outside of the Buffet Car Photo, is viewed from the side of the Crewe Heritage Centre of the APT-P (as appose to the Other side that looks out at the WCML)

Does that make sense as to where the windows are within the Buffet Car itself...

The Other Side of the Buffet Car, the WCML side as 8 Large Window, Three in the Seating Area and Five in the Buffet Bar itself.

Hi Brian

I hope that marries up with what you have said, remembering that the information is based on photos only.

Hi Jamie.

Next time your down Jamie i will show you what i mean about the window layout in the buffet car, the last 4 th window is the stoarge/switch room then the 2 blank spaces where the displays are, then the shaded out windows above the sinks.

Brian

Regards

Jamie

Hi Jamie.

Next time your down Jamie i will show you what i mean about the window layout in the buffet car, the last 4 th window is the stoarge/switch room then the 2 blank spaces where the displays are, then the shaded out windows above the sinks.

Brian

Hi Brian

Yes mate, that would be great, I see on DJM Dave Website there is an Crewe Heritage Centre Open Day on 02 Thursday - 05 Sunday August 2018, so I will get over on one of those Open Day Dates, look forward to meet you and again for the banter, yet alone any other APT-P related stuff.

If any one else is attending I would love to know, if you PM, on what Date/Day, I'm sure you will find me taking more that the 663 photos I took this last time on the Crowd Funding Day took deep inside the Centre Power Car, I missed a few nuts & bolts I need photos of. lol

Or if there are any photos any RMWeber's would like me to take on a specific part of the APT-P, I can add it to my list of missed opportunities, just PM me you preference area. ha-ha

Regards

Jamie

Mr_Tilt, on 03 Jun 2018 - 15:01, said:snapback.png

Grrrrr, what an example of poor timing on my part, eh?  :fool:

I'm sorry I couldn't make it, and it looks to have been a really great day too, apart from the weather. Even more sorry that I couldn't make it tilt again with the aid of my 'Little Blue Box', but as soon as I've made a couple more Brian will have one to keep at Crewe for demos.

Hi Kit

I'm sure we all could dedicate the day in your great honour Kit and I hope you will be back on your feet soon.  Spoke to Brian had a great day with his banter, great guy to and he said about the little box of tricks that you had, he never said it was blue through :O , and he never said he would be getting his own, he kept that quiet.

The Two Bogies at each end of an APT Coach Photos what somewhat intriguing and I have often seen it in photos before but never ever seen it in any of the APT-P formations, so huge thanks for that valued information. I guess DJM Dave as a 'Get out of Jail Card' Now :nono: not to produce it! but it would be a great Coach to store in the back scene of your layout as the APT-P comes rumbles through on all our layouts. lol

Get well soon Mr_APT aka Kit and take it steady hey, perhaps one day we will get to met up.

Regards

Jamie

Hi All

BR Toilets, a subject we can not miss out...!

I must admit this setup was a little freakish if nothing else or creepy to say the least, but a photo not to be missed as we all remember the BR Toilets and the Pump in the Floor to press on to get Water to wash your hands, along with whatever it was called, Tracing Paper that ripped your Ass open (To much info) :no:  :nono:  :rtfm:

Or as One User said.... Military Grade Toilet Paper

We used it to make Trace Rubbings of the Name Plates of the Engines lol it worked a treat!

I can definitely say.... it was not Toilet Paper that's for sure, or it was paper from another time era, I've said the APT-P was way ahead of it's time, and Toilet Paper was yet to be improved. Enough of this subject. ha-ha

The Litter Bins!

post-5212-0-08146300-1528666686_thumb.jpg

post-5212-0-00955500-1528666750_thumb.jpg

Purely for memories sack, here are the photos....

post-5212-0-26210700-1528666804_thumb.jpg

post-5212-0-13218500-1528666885_thumb.jpg

post-5212-0-60984800-1528666945_thumb.jpg

The Toilets in the next Coach without the creepy manikin...

post-5212-0-18109100-1528667003_thumb.jpg

post-5212-0-15531600-1528667056_thumb.jpg

post-5212-0-16496400-1528667117_thumb.jpg

I can't help but wonder, looking at the colour of the Toilet Seat, was James Dyson inspired for his inventing the Dyson Hoover in some way... lol

or I should say Dyson Vacuum Cleaner. 

Regards

Jamie

Posted 05 June 2018 - 21:10

JSpencer, on 05 Jun 2018 - 17:52, said:snapback.png

Originally, the toilets were supposed to be of Japanese design with a sprinkler system. This would have done away with toilet paper without a trace. A little known fact is that tilt system was there not for ease of comfort but to ensure the sprinkler remained on target as the train went round corners at high speed.

Love the banter... great to hear guys.

who was the chief tester for do a big P..... Leave it.... Don't Even go there Jamie... lol

and On that bombshell...

being based on a Japanese system then, was it still suppose to dumb the waste on the track like the MK3 Coaches do today or was the APT moving towards a more cleaner way of a storage tanks system, I know that may caused more issues emptying and blockage possible over a flow etc. :nono:  but I have to ask the question, even though I'm guessing it would still be the same method as we see it today...? 

Regards

Jamie

Posted 05 June 2018 - 20:57

jf2682, on 05 Jun 2018 - 10:58, said:snapback.png

The Dyson Hoover?...

Ha-ha, yes sorry it is just Dyson or Dyson cleaner as sandwich station rightfully said, it was purely the colour that I used that comment on! I loved it to be honest with you!

Regards

Jamie

Mr_Tilt, on 05 Jun 2018 - 22:31,

IIRC the P-Trains had total retention toilets, which would have made it the first on UK's railways I think, but I'd be open to suggestions otherwise.

Bob Reid, Posted 07 June 2018 - 21:23

And thankfully a first and a last?.  They were equipped with good old caravan-style Elsan Blue bogs and retention tanks - leaving the freshly flushed bog a fetching shade of dark blue and that awful Elsan Blue smell.  We had no amount of bother as the sets required "unique" for APT use only bog paper or the system blocked up which it did when used with the standard BR weapons grade bog paper - needless to say there was never enough of the special APT bog paper for the service when you needed it.  At the depots we had bowsers for disposing of the effluent and replenishing the Elsan Blue.  Thank goodness BR was by this time building stock with ordinary CET tanks and depots equipped with full length CET/flushing aprons.

Bob Reid

That's interesting, so the APT was braking grounds on every level really, way to ahead of its time hey...

Regards

Jamie

Edited by 7APT7

7APT7, on 05 Jun 2018 - 21:10, said:snapback.png

Love the banter... great to hear guys.
who was the chief tester for do a big P..... Leave it.... Don't Even go there Jamie... lol

and On that bombshell...
being based on a Japanese system then, was it still suppose to dumb the waste on the track like the MK3 Coaches do today or was the APT moving towards a more cleaner way of a storage tanks system, I know that may caused more issues emptying and blockage possible over a flow etc. :nono: but I have to ask the question, even though I'm guessing it would still be the same method as we see it today...?

Regards
Jamie

Hopefully this answers your question.

Attached Thumbnails
  • post-25554-0-58192200-1528236159_thumb.j
  • post-25554-0-49105700-1528236176_thumb.j

NJC92, on 05 Jun 2018 - 23:03, said:snapback.png

Hopefully this answers your question.

Mr_Tilt, on 05 Jun 2018 - 22:31, said:snapback.png

IIRC the P-Trains had total retention toilets, which would have made it the first on UK's railways I think, but I'd be open to suggestions otherwise.

Hi NJC92

Thank you for clearing that up, it backs up Kit Comments to... aka Mr_Tilt

I like the extra information of this fine train of the past, from the input of all other RMWeber's...!?!

Regards

Jamie

A Graphic to start with will Help these next Photos

post-5212-0-89057300-1528671302_thumb.jpg

Power Car Pantograph End Bogie

post-5212-0-13035800-1528671405_thumb.jpg

post-5212-0-75267400-1528671479_thumb.jpg

post-5212-0-01462300-1528671544_thumb.jpg

I had to alter the Colour Balance of the same photo and bring out the Darker area's of the Photo for this Picture

post-5212-0-89356000-1528671644_thumb.jpg

Closer view

post-5212-0-66367800-1528671567_thumb.jpg

In this Photo, pointing out the (Blue) Cardan Shaft that comes down to Join onto the Final Drive Gearbox which is connected to the Axle.

post-5212-0-44741900-1528671684_thumb.jpg

Regards

Jamie

Not sure if this just may be me here, but I have never noticed the Steps on the Right side of the Bogie to gain access to the Door above of my Hornby Model and what's worse, I don't have one to hand to check, now I know someone will jump on this and tell me, I do have the other coaches to hand but those are not the correct bogies I need to compare!

If the Hornby Bogie doesn't have this feature, please DJM Dave make sure the Model will have... sorry to be a pain Dave lol

post-5212-0-92905700-1528311859_thumb.jp

post-5212-0-34325100-1528312146_thumb.jp

Regards

Jamie

The Power car, and sods law the sign 'To the APT Exhibition' is in the way of the Bogie and the one end to see the steps, seriously what are the chances...lol

post-5212-0-92448900-1528672035_thumb.jpg

post-5212-0-45654300-1528672047_thumb.jpg

post-5212-0-63659200-1528672091_thumb.jpg

post-5212-0-16438400-1528672109_thumb.jpg

APT-P Pantograph

post-5212-0-57342300-1528672137_thumb.jpg

Regards

Jamie

7APT7, on 06 Jun 2018 - 18:23, said:snapback.png

Hi All

attachicon.gifAPT-P Crewe Heritage Centre (52) Mod3.jpg

Power Car Pantograph End Bogie

attachicon.gifAPT-P Power Car (12).JPG

attachicon.gifAPT-P Crewe Heritage Centre (314).JPG

attachicon.gifAPT-P Crewe Heritage Centre (315).JPG

I had to alter the Colour Balance of the same photo and bring out the Darker area's of the Photo for this Picture

attachicon.gifAPT-P Crewe Heritage Centre (315) Mod1.jpg

Closer view

attachicon.gifAPT-P Crewe Heritage Centre (315) Mod2.jpg

In this Photo, pointing out the (Blue) Cardan Shaft that comes down to Join onto the Final Drive Gearbox which is connected to the Axle.

attachicon.gifAPT-P Crewe Heritage Centre (315) Mod3.jpg

Regards

Jamie

Hi Jamie,

here are some shots of the final drive gear box (...631 & ...632) looking from the other side, as well as one of the hyfro-kinetic brake housing on the leading bogie under the cab (...629) …

Note the double arrowed bearing cap on the gearbox.

Regards

Richard.

Attached Thumbnails
  • post-26629-0-01362200-1528316719_thumb.j
  • post-26629-0-46208100-1528316738_thumb.j
  • post-26629-0-21586500-1528316763_thumb.j

rhnrhn, on 06 Jun 2018 - 21:32, said:snapback.png

Hi Jamie,

here are some shots of the final drive gear box looking from the other side, as well as one of the hyfro-kinetic brake housing on the leading bogie under the cab...

Note the double arrowed bearing cap on the gearbox.

Regards

Richard.

Hi Richard

Great photo and all helps with those interested, were you there on the day, sorry I missed you, I was to busy taking photos of everything I could, saying that.... I now know there were more photos I wish I had taken more of both from a far and close ups like your, so great photos, thanks for sharing those with us all.

Regards

Jamie

Edited by 7APT7