APT-P Photographs

When leaving their weekly meetings do they say, See-You-Next-Tuesday ?

Many years ago some steam locos at the K&WVR had various bronze valve castings stolen by similar types that smashed them off the boilers with sledging hammers along with City of Wells driving axle boxes.

The ERM's resident techie genius sorted out the issue of the thieves eventually.

He installed a CCTV system that he could read from his home down in Essex somewhere, and the next time they, or another group, tried to get in he called the Coventry Police to nail them.

Result!  :good:

• Like 3

Not really on the subject of this thread, but I'll be giving an illustrated short talk on APT tilt systems at the Crewe 30th Anniversary Event this weekend.

It won't be all that technical, just a guide to how and why they did what they did. I'll definitely give the talk on the Saturday, maybe Sunday as well if there's enough demand. 

I recorded Kit's presentation on the Saturday and it can be seen / heard at the link below -

"9 Degrees Rule OK" - APT Tilt Systems presented by Kit Spackman (Former Tilt System Development Engineer APT-E)

https://youtu.be/vzlUVOJVVhM

Copyright Kit Spackman © 2018

• Like 4

I recorded Kit's presentation on the Saturday and it can be seen / heard at the link below -

"9 Degrees Rule OK" - APT Tilt Systems presented by Kit Spackman (Former Tilt System Development Engineer APT-E)

https://youtu.be/vzlUVOJVVhM

Copyright Kit Spackman © 2018

Excellent, thanks for that as i missed out of the presentation, so it gives me something to digest later.

Cheers mate

Dave

• 2 weeks later...

The Saturday talk was only about tilt systems, the Sunday version covered the history of the APT project, but only the short version, 1.5 hrs.  :D

Was the Sunday version recorded as well ?

Just listened to the Saturday one & really enjoyed it.

Was the Sunday version recorded as well ?

Just listened to the Saturday one & really enjoyed it.

Yes, it was, as Rob had me miked up for the occasion. It's a lot longer than the 'Tilt System' talk as it covered the history of the whole project, as well as I could do it anyway.

Glad you liked the tilting talk, even though it was a bit of rough job. I only started putting it together the previous Monday and finished it around 1 am on the Saturday morning!  :O

• Like 1

Yes, it was, as Rob had me miked up for the occasion. It's a lot longer than the 'Tilt System' talk as it covered the history of the whole project, as well as I could do it anyway.

Glad you liked the tilting talk, even though it was a bit of rough job. I only started putting it together the previous Monday and finished it around 1 am on the Saturday morning!  :O

Brilliant job  :clapping: Have you got a link to it on youtube please ?

I've got me large mug 'o' tea & biccies ready.  :smile_mini2:

Brilliant job  :clapping: Have you got a link to it on youtube please ?

I've got me large mug 'o' tea & biccies ready.  :smile_mini2:

AFAIK Rob hasn't posted it as yet. As it's so long, 1.5 hr plus, it takes a lot of editing and polishing so I expect it'll be a while. 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Hi all.

Been a couple of months since i last posted a picture on here so here's a couple. After about 8 years of having no full lighting in the ex coach, i have finally sorted it with the help of wiring diagrams bought from RDDS  ( Heritage centre owned ). Well pleased.....now to find out why the tilt pumps won't come on when switched on, a negative wire perhaps ? Anyways now our season has finished i have plenty of stuff to keep me going and for a long time no rush !

post-6042-0-57701200-1539362441_thumb.jpg

post-6042-0-11548900-1539362451_thumb.jpg

post-6042-0-37889200-1539362459_thumb.jpg

post-6042-0-94242100-1539362472_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Hi all.

Couple of pictures from the weekend with work starting in the power car removing the panels and removing the tables out of the ex coach ready for a new display to be put in there. A lot of scrubbing down and repainting in the power car is needed along with perspex panels to replace the covers that have been removed. The new display in the ex coach will include something that hasn't been displayed yet, so keeping that under wraps till the new season.

post-6042-0-57463700-1540403853_thumb.jpg

post-6042-0-11681600-1540403869_thumb.jpg

post-6042-0-43611400-1540403886_thumb.jpg

post-6042-0-01416700-1540403903_thumb.jpg

post-6042-0-86503800-1540403921_thumb.jpg

post-6042-0-31615100-1540403940_thumb.jpg

post-6042-0-31793300-1540403980_thumb.jpg

• Like 3

Hi don't unfortunately Woodenhead, bit out of price range mate, but looking forward to seeing them come out . :)

Hi Brian

I heard you asked DJM Dave to upscale it to 7-1/4 inch Gauge and to order the 14-Car set in the same Gauge to have it run round the Full Size APT-P while sitting on the 7 1/4 Gauge one, while I hold on to the OO-Gauge one in my hands while it goes round the track, and my little brother sitting in front of me holding his N-Gauge Model from DJM... if only hey kid...

Good work Brian, sorry not been on of late, hope you are keeping well and looking after the APT-P for us all lol

To DJM Dave, What would that cost, and how many Orders do we need to Pass the go ahead on the 7-1/4 Inch APT-P...?

I do plan on winning big time soon on the Euro Lottery (before we Brexit) and its just a matter of time before I ask you the question for real DJM Dave haha :sungum:  :no:

Regards

Jamie

PS: Brexit is underlined in RED... What... you mean, .... Its in the European dictionaries, its just not been but in the Oxford Dictionary yet... :beee:  :drag:

Hi Brian

I heard you asked DJM Dave to upscale it to 7-1/4 inch Gauge and to order the 14-Car set in the same Gauge to have it run round the Full Size APT-P while sitting on the 7 1/4 Gauge one, while I hold on to the OO-Gauge one in my hands while it goes round the track, and my little brother sitting in front of me holding his N-Gauge Model from DJM... if only hey kid...

Good work Brian, sorry not been on of late, hope you are keeping well and looking after the APT-P for us all lol

To DJM Dave, What would that cost, and how many Orders do we need to Pass the go ahead on the 7-1/4 Inch APT-P...?

I do plan on winning big time soon on the Euro Lottery (before we Brexit) and its just a matter of time before I ask you the question for real DJM Dave haha :sungum:  :no:

Regards

Jamie

PS: Brexit is underlined in RED... What... you mean, .... Its in the European dictionaries, its just not been but in the Oxford Dictionary yet... :beee:  :drag:

Hi Jamie.

Good to hear from you . I haven't asked or mentioned anything to Dave about a 7.25" scale APT that would ruiniously expensive, besides Mardyke did many years ago.I'm looking forward to seeing the OO gauge one to come out, should be top class.

Cheers. Brian

Hi Brian

Who did the big APT-P in the Coach that's huge, with Barbie and Ken in side the coach... Seen in the photos above or turn Left once you go up the ramp to go into the APT-P coach...?

Are you there at the weekends Crewe Heritage Centre at the weekends Brian... or are we not out of season, for there to be any work lol 

Hope you are keeping well our kid.

Regards

Jamie

Hi Jamie.

No idea who made the large coach as it was given to us by Derby silk mill museum, i would assume it was a publicity commission piece specially made for the train. Yes we are out of season now so most of the work will be done over the next 5 months, enough to keep me occupied !

Cheers Brian

• Like 1

Hi Jamie.

No idea who made the large coach as it was given to us by Derby silk mill museum, i would assume it was a publicity commission piece specially made for the train. Yes we are out of season now so most of the work will be done over the next 5 months, enough to keep me occupied !

Cheers Brian

That P-Train coach used to sit in the foyer of the CM&EE Dept. at the RTC in Derby. I suppose BR donated it to the Silk Mill when the project was cancelled. At one time there were two of them with the articulated bogie connecting them, but the 2nd one vanished after a while.

All that was all after I left BR in April '78 but I still went back to the RTC for some years afterwards as they changed from being my employers to one of my customers then.  :D

That P-Train coach used to sit in the foyer of the CM&EE Dept. at the RTC in Derby. I suppose BR donated it to the Silk Mill when the project was cancelled. At one time there were two of them with the articulated bogie connecting them, but the 2nd one vanished after a while

The Silk Mill used to have a DTS coach on display too complete with a double (action) manned cab.

See

http://www.apt-p.com/APTModelDSM.htm

Rob

PS

some pictures of the Mardyke 7 1/4 inch APT-P can be found on my site -

http://www.apt-p.com/MardykeAPT.htm

• Like 1

The Silk Mill used to have a DTS coach on display too complete with a double (action) manned cab.

See

http://www.apt-p.com/APTModelDSM.htm

Ahah, I wonder if the other RTC coach (that I can just about remember....) was that DTS?

Try as I might I can't recall it well enough, and it was pointing away from the entrance door to Derwent House anyway, so I may not have seen the 'pointed end'.

There's a similar large scale model in NRM York's collection, Paul and I have seen it a number if times, perched up high in a glass case. 

• Like 1