Lyon Part-Dieu

Peter Crawford

I am thinking of modelling Lyon Part-Dieu due to its excellent variety: SNCF Fret coming through, TGVs from the whole of France, Eurostars, AVEs, TERs, Intercités and even sleepers. It's hard to think of anything that would have the slightest chance of operating in France being 'not realistic'. The only snag (other than the length etc.) is that there's not scenic break for miles on either end. Any ideas?

• RMweb Premium

Try Lyon Perrache instead?

Nothing to the South that I can remember at Perrache as a scenic break but I do agree that the tunnel then over the Saone through to the station building overbridge would make a fascinating set piece with genuine scenic breaks.

• RMweb Gold

Should not be that difficult. Part-Dieu is on an embankment but that part of Lyon has plenty of tall buildings to hide a "hole-in-the-sky".

Perrache not such a good choice as too much station roof hiding the trains.

From memory, Part-Dieu has about eight platforms and four through roads, so it is going to be wide as well as long.

I think that something further south on the old left-bank mainline is probably a better option.

• RMweb Premium

"Part-Dieu has more operational interest..."

Not when engineering works at Botteaux causes everything to be diverted - rule number 1 supported by reality

Joseph

Part Dieu has 12 platform faces now - so probably wider than Perrache by a smidgen. 

Edited by Andy Hayter

I am thinking of modelling Lyon Part-Dieu due to its excellent variety: SNCF Fret coming through, TGVs from the whole of France, Eurostars, AVEs, TERs, Intercités and even sleepers. It's hard to think of anything that would have the slightest chance of operating in France being 'not realistic'. The only snag (other than the length etc.) is that there's not scenic break for miles on either end. Any ideas?

If you were content with simply modelling passing trains, then the bit of line in cutting south of Part-Dieu by the old tobacco factory (now the Universite du Jean Moulin, Lyon 3). When my god-daughter was a toddler, her parents lived around the corner, and I used to take her for walks to watch the TGVs go by. 

• Like 1

If you were content with simply modelling passing trains, then the bit of line in cutting south of Part-Dieu by the old tobacco factory (now the Universite du Jean Moulin, Lyon 3). When my god-daughter was a toddler, her parents lived around the corner, and I used to take her for walks to watch the TGVs go by. 

It could be worth a look, but some shunting, reversing and stopping helps.