Analogue Controllers

carlwebus

To all you knowdlegable electrics wizards:

I am a mature (to say the least) modeller - but a complete novice when it comes to controllers, electrics etc.

For many years (20?) I have run my branch line terminus/  shunting layout using a Gaugemaster handheld feedback controller running  from a transformer and via a Relco track cleaner.

All well and good.

But I am  finding that many of the new models coming out use coreless motors "for smoother running".

Feedback  controllers (according to Gaugemaster and many blogs) are "not suitable for use  with locomotives having coreless motors".

So, having decided that I will buy locos with coreless motors (new Dapol Adams B4  etc) I  have  tried to run the layout using  two alternative controllers:  viz the system mentioned above for cored motors and a non-feedback  controller connected  directly to the track for the coreless ones.

I duly dug out of the loft an old non-feedback  controller (with interia) made for me by a friend of those far off days before I went "feedback".

I connected it to the track and tested it with an old  loco that has an X04 motor. It was fine.  Then I tried it with the B4. Fine again.

Then I disconnected it and powered up the feedback unit for a running session.

Calamity! I find that  the cored motor locos will  run  fine in one direction but cut out in the other.

I am presuming that, because I didn't disconnect the transformer/ Relco/ feedback controller before trying the old controller (although the feedback system  wasn't actually powered up) I have in some way cobbled up the transformer or gaugemaster.

Question 1: Can anybody tell me  what has gone wrong?

Question 2: As it looks like I might as well now run the whole show on a non-feedback controller, I  am  wondering if the old from-the-loft controller is still  safe (having  spent 20 years in the hot and cold of the loft).  Can anybody advise on the choice of a new transformer /  controller for the layout (including the coreless motor items)?  At the moment I am looking at a Gaugemaster Combi.

Many thanks in anticipation.

You don't give details of the type of controller used but it is a pretty good way to destroy a controller by connecting it to a

track powered by another controller. Even when the second controller is not powered up from the mains. Some you can get away with,

like old Triang/ Hornby types with a single centre off knob with a dead spot between forward and reverse, but many controllers have

no dead spot, Morleys, Ontrack etc just morph smoothly from forward to reverse seamlessly.

You don't say if the fault applies to all locos or just coreless. My advice would be to get a non feedback controller like a Morley

which will give an infinitely variably voltage pretty much irrespective of load. They run everything from a 1950s Hornby Dublo vertical

motor to an X04 to a coreless and you can double head with most unlikely combinations, something just about impossible with most feedback

controllers and you don't get the juddery pulse power crawling speed like a feedback controller but then again you don't get juddery low

speed running.

There is no real reason to scrap 20 year old controllers just because of age, I use 60 year old Marshall 3s occasionally. The 1970s/80s

ones are the killers, metal cased with dodgy insulation, Duettes and the like.

You don't give details of the type of controller used but it is a pretty good way to destroy a controller by connecting it to a

track powered by another controller. Even when the second controller is not powered up from the mains. Some you can get away with,

like old Triang/ Hornby types with a single centre off knob with a dead spot between forward and reverse, but many controllers have

no dead spot, Morleys, Ontrack etc just morph smoothly from forward to reverse seamlessly.

You don't say if the fault applies to all locos or just coreless. My advice would be to get a non feedback controller like a Morley

which will give an infinitely variably voltage pretty much irrespective of load. They run everything from a 1950s Hornby Dublo vertical

motor to an X04 to a coreless and you can double head with most unlikely combinations, something just about impossible with most feedback

controllers and you don't get the juddery pulse power crawling speed like a feedback controller but then again you don't get juddery low

speed running.

There is no real reason to scrap 20 year old controllers just because of age, I use 60 year old Marshall 3s occasionally. The 1970s/80s

ones are the killers, metal cased with dodgy insulation, Duettes and the like.

Hi David

Many thanks  for the advice.

You have confirmed that I have destroyed the gaugemaster feedback handheld.  I was pretty sure it was the controller that had gone wrong - although I must admit I don't understand why it seems to  work for one direction but not the other.

Should have engaged brain and disengaged the Gaugemaster  controller before connecting the old home made job!

Live and learn.

The inertia controller from the loft was built for me by someone I used to know. He was a model railway buff who worked at BT Labs and knew a thing or two about electrics/ electronics.  I have checked the obvious potential  sources of trouble.  The gromit protecting the mains lead is sound all round and the speed controller and indicator led sem fine.

It seems to  work all my locos pretty well - I can get very  reasonable slow speed - but I will have to keep my track cleaner than before.

Thanks  again. I will go away and connect the old controller permanently.