IRDOT-1 OPTICAL DETECTORS

TEAMYAKIMA

Hi

I want to operate a level crossing automatically and I have found a module to do that . I want to use IRDOT-1 optical detectors which I have never used before and know nothing about. So my questions are

1. My layout does not have lights, so the ambient lighting is standard exhibition hall lighting. Are IRDOT-1 detectors reliable with that ambient lighting?

2. If so, is there a particular brand/type that is particularly suitable for OO/HO use?

3. Assuming that I want one of the detectors in my scenic area, do I have to have a huge hole in my track (3-5mm?) or can it be very small (1-3mm)?

I regret I have very little electronic knowledge and so hope I have used technical terms correctly.

Thanks

1. Irdot-1 are not affected by lightning in an exhibition hall, well at least not on mine when at shows.

2. I use Heathcote and Blocksignaling both work well. Blocksignaling has different settings so easily adjusted.

3. Yes you can see where they are fitted into the track. Megapoints is another possibility, this relies on track occupancy

Nigel

• RMweb Gold

1. Irdot-1 are not affected by lightning in an exhibition hall, 

Dangerous places, these exhibition halls.  

I always wondered how lightning works, then one day it struck me  :jester:

• Like 1

1. Irdot-1 are not affected by lightning in an exhibition hall, well at least not on mine when at shows.

Nigel

Hello Nigel

Thanks for sharing your experience. Yes, I plan to use a Heathcote device, but you have slightly misunderstood my question. It is more a case of is ambient exhibition hall lighting sufficient to make these work reliably?

Edited by TEAMYAKIMA

The Heathcots website says the IRDOT 1 works in light and dark - see link https://www.heathcote-electronics.co.uk/irdot1.html

I have just installed some IRDOT 2Ds; if the 1s have the same sensors, then you will need a hole almost as wide as the gap between sleepers (in 00/H0), and about 9mm long.  However, perhaps the IRDOT 1s are different.

Harold.

The Heathcots website says the IRDOT 1 works in light and dark - see link https://www.heathcote-electronics.co.uk/irdot1.html

I have just installed some IRDOT 2Ds; if the 1s have the same sensors, then you will need a hole almost as wide as the gap between sleepers (in 00/H0), and about 9mm long.  However, perhaps the IRDOT 1s are different.

Harold.

I have now received a full report in a private email and am happy that I have the whole picture - thanks to everyone who replied.

Hello Nigel

Thanks for sharing your experience. Yes, I plan to use a Heathcote device, but you have slightly misunderstood my question. It is more a case of is ambient exhibition hall lighting sufficient to make these work reliably?

You have misunderstood how the IRDOT works. They use reflected Infra-red, not ambient lighting. I suggest talking to the manufacturer. The website https://www.heathcote-electronics.co.uk/irdot1.html describes how they work.

It's always best to do some basic research to understand the problem/frame the question better.