Chiltern Court Coal Siding

• Please log in to reply
36 replies to this topic

#26 GoingUnderground

GoingUnderground

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1,443 posts
  • LocationI'm still in a hole. Should I stop digging?

Posted 14 June 2018 - 17:33

See post #4 - there was a power-operated derailer to protect P1.

As in post 4 - In the early 1960s I saw a device not far from the siding exit which I was told was a derailer, something like this:  https://goo.gl/images/WiQH9z found in:  http://www.clag.org.uk/3rd-4th.html

I am happy for the experts to correct me, as it was a long time ago. 

Similarly, from post 23, "All that would be missing would be Q and R Stock.".  I will bow to the experts, however I believe this combination might have been covered by the District trains over the North side of the Circle on Sundays, many years ago.

On further information, I have spotted a small detail within an old drawing of the station that shows an elevation of the buffer positions on p1 and the siding.  Centre-to-centre of tracks approximately 18 feet.

With a derailer, a wagon could safely be left for rubbish, so I'm happy to concede that wagons may have been left there between trips to store rubbish. But there's no logic to leaving a wagon there after the 3rd August '61 visit, and the available photos from that day don't show that one was left behind to be collected later.

As regards the "missing" Stock, if Engineer_London rereads post #23, he'll see that I only mentioned Platforms 1-4 and the potential for modelling the Stock that would have been seen daily on those platforms. I said nothing about Q and R Stock as they would only have used Platforms 5 & 6 on Sundays. The omission of Q and R Stock was deliberate as 298 was asking for help on the Chiltern Court siding and it seemed to me to be an opportunity to point out the extensive range of Stock that served Platforms 1-4 in the early 1960s. I only threw in the reference to the Bakerloo platforms as a nice to have if there was space.

298 was looking to model a somewhat smaller area that the whole of Baker Street, if I understand his original post correctly. But he will need another MetroVic if he's to replicate the actual loco movements in his proposed micro-layout. How's that for a reason to give Mrs 298 as to why you had no choice but to buy a second MetroVic! More prototypical than using the Pannier tank from your Midnight Metropolitan set.

• Like x 1

#27 terry.ecmr

terry.ecmr

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 201 posts
  • LocationWitney, Oxfordshire

Posted 14 June 2018 - 20:49

For anybody who is interested.........this is my 4mm scratch-built model of the type of ex. Met brake van featured on the final Chiltern Court train.

IMG_1102.JPG

• Like x 11

#28 Jon Gwinnett

Jon Gwinnett

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1,456 posts

Posted 14 June 2018 - 21:22

Very very nice!

#29 Jon Gwinnett

Jon Gwinnett

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1,456 posts

Posted 14 June 2018 - 21:57

Very very nice!

#30 Nearholmer

Nearholmer

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 6,343 posts
  • LocationBirlstone

Posted 14 June 2018 - 22:06

I think Jon likes it.

As do I.

#31 D826

D826

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 206 posts
  • LocationWatton

Posted 16 June 2018 - 07:27

For anybody who is interested.........this is my 4mm scratch-built model of the type of ex. Met brake van featured on the final Chiltern Court train.

attachicon.gifIMG_1102.JPG

Superb work. Love the Met F class. Have a picture of my dad driving L52 near Rickmansworth hanging on the wall in my living room. Great work, and I love the brake van too.

Best regards

Matt Wood
  • Thanks x 1

#32 roythebus

roythebus

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 2,844 posts
  • LocationNear the 15" gauge and the 5"gauge, far from standard gauge, but 25 miles from Calais.

Posted 18 June 2018 - 22:09

Is that F class one of my GS Models kits?

#33 298

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 3,659 posts

Posted Yesterday, 18:55

http://www.wbsframe...._Street_LT.html

Fourth photo down shows the Box in 1964 with the coal siding painted out. I definitely recall reading a mention of it being used as an Engineers siding after the coal train ended, but was soon lifted.
  • Informative/Useful x 1

#34 Jon Gwinnett

Jon Gwinnett

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1,456 posts

Posted Yesterday, 19:02

Is the painted out line on the opposite side the loco siding?

#35 Nearholmer

Nearholmer

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 6,343 posts
  • LocationBirlstone

Posted Yesterday, 19:33

Yes. You can see the full layout in the diagram I posted earlier.
  • Like x 1

#36 terry.ecmr

terry.ecmr

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 201 posts
  • LocationWitney, Oxfordshire

Posted Yesterday, 20:24

Is that F class one of my GS Models kits?

South East Finecast on a Bachmann chassis.

#37 298

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 3,659 posts

Posted Today, 10:52

But he will need another MetroVic if he's to replicate the actual loco movements in his proposed micro-layout. How's that for a reason to give Mrs 298 as to why you had no choice but to buy a second MetroVic! More prototypical than using the Pannier tank from your Midnight Metropolitan set.

I did have a way round that by using Bachmann sectional track to form both ends of P1 into a loop and running the loco round from one end to the other, but you're right- a second loco would be better. It's just a question of which livery, I doubt there were more than two major variations at any one time, but my second favourite is unnamed Metropolitan Maroon...