TSD's Workbench - SECR and Industrial modelling

Based on the test shot, I'd suggest staying with 3D hubs. If you go to Shapeways they will find several ways to bollix it up before you find the One True Workaround and the test prints will be expensive for you. And I would not be happy about buying a FUD print above £50 if it had not been tested. It's a different financial regime from the low-cost prints.

About how much would we pay if you got them from 3D hubs?

• Like 1

Based on the test shot, I'd suggest staying with 3D hubs. If you go to Shapeways they will find several ways to bollix it up before you find the One True Workaround and the test prints will be expensive for you. And I would not be happy about buying a FUD print above £50 if it had not been tested. It's a different financial regime from the low-cost prints.

About how much would we pay if you got them from 3D hubs?

Yes, is there a TurboSnail PayPal account that we could swell in due course?

Regarding payments, I would probably go for PayPal as that seems to be relatively secure - better than cheques and cash at least. But I'm not going to be releasing anything until I have done the test build(s)! Speaking of, I need to chase up that Markits order...

Prices still need working out as I need to factor in postage, and the motor and gears, although they should only add less than £5 to the cost, they have a long lead time from China.

Regarding payments, I would probably go for PayPal as that seems to be relatively secure - better than cheques and cash at least. But I'm not going to be releasing anything until I have done the test build(s)! Speaking of, I need to chase up that Markits order...

Prices still need working out as I need to factor in postage, and the motor and gears, although they should only add less than £5 to the cost, they have a long lead time from China.

All very sensible - so the chassis will take Romford axles?

Please bear in mind that some buyers, like me, will only want a body print, not being able to use the chassis arrangements for OO. It'll be some time, possibly some years, before I can complete an F from your print so I'm not in a hurry. But I would like to know roughly how much to save up and whether I can punt it as a Christmas or birthday present this year.

Please bear in mind that some buyers, like me, will only want a body print, not being able to use the chassis arrangements for OO. It'll be some time, possibly some years, before I can complete an F from your print so I'm not in a hurry. But I would like to know roughly how much to save up and whether I can punt it as a Christmas or birthday present this year.

I've been investigating this in the very limited downtime I've had recently - I estimate (in OO) the total cost of the Body, Tender, Chassis and Motor/Gears to come to about £50 (excluding postage). A complete locomotive with wheels and some detail parts should come in around the £100 mark. You can probably lose about £12 of that without the Chassis and Motor/Gears. 

But I'll leave the job of costing and logistics until after I've successfully test built one!

Good news! 

Markits have sent off the wheels!

Bad news!

Due to the stock difficulties they've been having recently, the order was delayed and didn't get to my preferred address before I had to leave to come back up to Leeds, so the parcel will be sitting on my desk at the other end of the country until about mid-September.

Still, I hope to have much of the body done by then, and the R class project has been neglected a bit as of late...

• Like 1

A couple of final photos of the prints before I start removing the supports, hopefully I'll have time to do it tonight - I'm leaving the chassis for now due to the wheel issue. These ones show the worst areas of support to remove, where they are enclosed or near detailed parts, so I'll have to think carefully about how I do it.

post-25124-0-04135100-1534850904_thumb.jpg

post-25124-0-30020900-1534850912_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

Blimey, that's a lot of support. It doesn't look too hard to remove in OO but could be an issue down in N. Perhaps Shapeways is an option after all. Be interested to see how it comes out in N support wise.

Never mind trains!

Is that really you in your avatar ?

This is really me !

post-34584-0-55099500-1534871041_thumb.jpg

Maddest ever plastic kit I've ever built.

Gibbo.

• Like 1

My other hobby, 9 Star Wars costumes so far. It makes model railways look cheap as a hobby ;)

Apologies to Mr TurboSnail for going off topic here.

Hi Gareth,

I'm happy with just the Storm Trooper, saw the silly film in 1977 and thought they were the business then, I have also made myself a set of 180 AD Roman Armour.

Gibbo.

• Like 1

All the supports have now been removed, with the sophisticated method of poking it with a finger (the supports taper to a point near the body, so they snap off relatively cleanly).The remaining nubs have been sanded down with a Dremel and a 500-grit sanding disc (which I made by cutting a circle out of a sheet of sandpaper) but I took the photos before sanding which is why the footplate looks a bit bumpy. In the third photo, you can see the one error I've found so far with the print, some odd diagonal lines just in front of the cab - they will also get sanded down in due course.

post-25124-0-94032100-1535023968_thumb.jpg

post-25124-0-69632900-1535023992_thumb.jpg

post-25124-0-23349300-1535024005_thumb.jpg

The other main issue so far has been entirely self-inflicted - I was a bit over-enthusiastic with the tender and broke the rear guard irons off, but some glue has mostly remedied this although in my ham-handedness I managed to lose the end of one of them, hence the uneven lengths. Also, I can't be bothered to edit the photo, so please don't look at the mystery things below the tender! They are still secret (but not a very well kept secret)...

post-25124-0-00004100-1535024017_thumb.jpg

• Like 5

Today's lunch break CAD modelling session involved the other variant of the F class tender, as seen on later locomotives. I haven't fully worked it out yet, but I think the original style (as seen in the model in previous posts) was gradually replaced during SECR days with the later style (shown here) - I certainly haven't seen any photos of the original type in SR days. The F1s all seem to have carried this later style, and they may have been rebuilt at the same time as the engines, as there are very minimal differences between the two types, namely the lack of the house-type thing and the addition of the curved parts on the top in the later version.

post-25124-0-73309600-1535111467.jpg

Looking at motor/gearbox options for the F Class, the original plan was to use the smaller gear but some quick maths indicates that the larger gear gives a better top speed of about 400mm/s (roughly). This gear needed a bit of modification to open up the axle hole and remove the compound gear that came attached to it. I don't know how well the motor will last, but they are cheap enough to replace easily if needed

post-25124-0-62834300-1535290597_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

Working as temporary staff at a university means occasional unexpected days off, which would have been even better if they'd told me before I'd walked all the way there... Still, not going to complain, as the F Class is now in primer - this is with no surface preparation. It also has some extra handrail and whistle mounting holes as I forgot to put those on the CAD model.

post-25124-0-22307600-1535453077_thumb.jpg

• Like 5

That's a gorgeous print, and the primer really shows the surface quality. There is (possibly?) the very slightest hint of print lines on the boiler, but they look to be so subtle that a single coat of filler primer would hide them. The splasher beading and the safety valve also look really good, and the quality of the print shows the quality of the draughtsmanship that went into the CAD work. Very exciting!

There are visible print lines if you look very closely, but as you say I think they'll get hidden under a few layers of primer and paint - the print definition is 25 microns (!) which is why it apparently took 40 hours to print. 

Working as temporary staff at a university means occasional unexpected days off, which would have been even better if they'd told me before I'd walked all the way there... Still, not going to complain, as the F Class is now in primer - this is with no surface preparation. It also has some extra handrail and whistle mounting holes as I forgot to put those on the CAD model.

IMG_20180828_112956.jpg

Excellent work TS. You've created something of a masterpiece there.