Peco 0-16.5 wagon kits. What are they like?

GWR88

Hi all, im wanting to restart my paused 0-16.5 layout and I need to get some rolling stock for it. I keep looking at the Peco side tipper OR-28 and the flat wagon OR-21. Are this kits plastic or metal and if metal are they any good or do they need lots of work to be useable?

Also does anyone know if Slimrails is still running as ive tried emailing and phoning but haven't got any reply which is a shame?

Many thanks,

Lloyd

• RMweb Premium

The Peco kits are a bit dated and crude from the 1980s. They are whitemetal and stretched to fit 016.5 and don't represent any prototype well.

Better plastic wagons are available eg the new Slaters L&B open wagons and from Slimrails. If they don't respond then you can message Roger on Finelines on this forum.

The Peco van and open kits (OR24 and OR25, with the chassis OR-40) are very nicely moulded plastic kits which are L&B 4-ton prototypes. I've built a few of these and they go together very nicely with no fettling required. Can't comment on the whitemetal ones though!

• 1 month later...
On 13/06/2018 at 21:49, GWR88 said:

Hi all, im wanting to restart my paused 0-16.5 layout and I need to get some rolling stock for it. I keep looking at the Peco side tipper OR-28 and the flat wagon OR-21. Are this kits plastic or metal and if metal are they any good or do they need lots of work to be useable?

I would endorse Dava's comment regarding the Peco wagons. I built a few side tippers a while back and the whitemetal bits need a fair amount of fettling to fit together. I seem to remember that despite their apparent simplicity, assembly also required three hands! The same applies to the OR24 open wagon. They can be made to look reasonably presentable but on close inspection, they show their age a bit. Like me.

Alan

P1011528.jpg.169f67b81ef3be8218dd17071f22e55b.jpg

P1011533.jpg.7fbca3db36cd9d6cf65513d426e2be73.jpg

Edited by Tullygrainey
  • Like 3

If you can get hold of them in the UK the Bachmann On30 V and side tippers (come as a set of three) are suitable for UK narrow gauge (see my On30 link below posts #16 & 18). I have built the Peco white metal open wagon (difficult) the van and some 4 wheel coaches (easy). The kits seem relatively expensive, especially if you need a lot of them, a typical GVT train might have 20 or more open wagons.

Edited by Jeff Smith