Railway Modeller: 6-year experiment ends

martin_wynne

Well the RM and Continental Modeller have been linked on the website for some time, not that it's much use au moment. As a just teenager in the early 1960s I was fully aware that RM was a Peco publication so I just don't get Martin's point.

I first started getting RM in the early 1970s, and after a while realised that whenever PECO was mentioned in an article

the word always appeared in a different typeface, (as did Railway Modeller), so I was aware of it back then.

RM has always been my favourite mag, and although I stopped buying magazines regularly back in the 1990s RM is still the one I am most likely to get now,

cheers

They also went through that rather irritating and silly phase of adding in brackets (copyright symbol) after every mention of a manufacturer.

Stewart

• RMweb Gold

As a just teenager in the early 1960s I was fully aware that RM was a Peco publication so I just don't get Martin's point.

I'm not making a point. I'm reporting that for the first time in memory, RM has Peco branding on the cover. And pointing out that companies don't do things just on a whim -- there is usually a reason.

I'm fully aware that everyone knows and always has known that RM is produced by the Peco group of companies. Although they do indeed have different legal entities, they all have the same top management. The RM staff listing says: Chairman: C. M. Pritchard.

Next time I notice something interesting I will keep it to myself.

Martin.

• 4 weeks later...

Are back issues available to read anywhere on t'internet?

I've no wish to copy them at a time when I'm trying to get rid of stuff, but would like to follow up references made elsewhere.

Incidentally, does anybody know the whereabouts of Keith Allen who wrote prolifically in the early Eighties RM about conversions to 4mm  BR mineral wagons? He was a Stockport lad then, and had a joint enterprise chum called Dave (Lee?). They were not club types, but ploughed lone furrows.

Peter Prydderch, Stockport

• Administrators

Are back issues available to read anywhere on t'internet?

I've no wish to copy them at a time when I'm trying to get rid of stuff, but would like to follow up references made elsewhere.

Incidentally, does anybody know the whereabouts of Keith Allen who wrote prolifically in the early Eighties RM about conversions to 4mm  BR mineral wagons? He was a Stockport lad then, and had a joint enterprise chum called Dave (Lee?). They were not club types, but ploughed lone furrows.

Peter Prydderch, Stockport

You mean "read for free"? I doubt it, but you can buy a digital subscription which gives you access to back issues.

I'm not making a point. I'm reporting that for the first time in memory, RM has Peco branding on the cover. And pointing out that companies don't do things just on a whim -- there is usually a reason.

Not quite sure the "first time in memory" statement is correct. I'm pretty sure the 3 P's (a registered trademark?) logo used to be placed below the magazine title?

Maybe next time somebody bumps into Steve Flint they could ask him  what's the reasoning behind such a "radical" move?

P

Edit:  Thought so.

post-508-0-24692000-1531393927.jpg

Edited by Porcy Mane
  • Like 1

• Administrators

30p in 1975 is about £2.39 in 2017 (latest year that the converter works).

https://www.officialdata.org/1975-GBP-in-2017?amount=0.30

17p in 1971 is £2.28 in 2017. It won't accept half pennies so add on about £0.06 to make it £2.34.

https://www.officialdata.org/1971-GBP-in-2017?amount=0.17

Jason

But if you compare magazines from 195 and 2018, you'll find the older one thinner, smaller and with many less photos. And in black & white. They aren't the same product at all. 

Gents,

You’re working it the wrong way: the RM cover price IS the unit by which all other things are measured.

You will find that it gives a far more intuitively correct set of answers than RPI, CPI etc.

Economists used to use the price of a Mars Bar in the same way, but I haven’t got a load of old mars wrappers with prices on, whereas .....

Kevin

It worked! Add the Peco brand and get three pages of mentions for RM on this forum.

Nice to see the branding on the front page. It’s good for RM to associate itself with its parent company, a successful company which has continued to manufacture most of its products in the UK and is a well respected name in the modelling fraternity across the world.

• RMweb Premium

Gents,

You’re working it the wrong way: the RM cover price IS the unit by which all other things are measured.

You will find that it gives a far more intuitively correct set of answers than RPI, CPI etc.

Economists used to use the price of a Mars Bar in the same way, but I haven’t got a load of old mars wrappers with prices on, whereas .....

Kevin

But Mars bars are smaller now.......

Cheers,

Mick

• Like 1

No. They were vastly better.

I wasn't comparing the magazine, just the price/value.

Jason

Better? A lot easier, certainly. I recall lengthy discussions that Steve Stratten and I had over the prospect of four-colour cover pictures on Model Railway Constructor instead of the traditional spot-colour masthead. Steve reckoned there would be endless complaints that whatever was illustrated was painted in the wrong shade. He wasn't wrong! (CJL)

• Like 3

I just think they were better magazines in general compared to the colourful magazines made nowaday. Not just railway modelling magazines I hasten to add.

As an example look at the contents of the magazine mentioned above RM May 1975.

http://www.magazineexchange.co.uk/railway-modeller-magazine-may-1975-issue.html

Penllyn - K. C. Taylor
Carrying Coals to Buckingham - Peter B. Denny
Modelling in N gauge - 3: Coaches - C. J. Verdon
Deeford - A. Dunmore
Bakewell 7: The complete model - Stan Roberts
Pipers Mead - 2: The motive power - Allan Downes
A lineside factory - Don Townsley
Eyemouth - a postscript - J. E. Hay
Kyle of Lochalsh MPD - E. N. Bellass
It happens to the best of us! - Alan Cook
Wagon Page: MR 12T high-sided goods and mineral wagon - Ken Werrett
Sharp Stewart 0-6-0 goods engine - R. M. Drake-Brockman
Rickmansworth, LNWR - H. F. Cockshott
Recapitulation - C. J. Freezer
Letters
Modellers' Bookshelf
News Special
Scrapbox

Much more interesting than "How to renumber your RTR locomotive" for the umpteenth time IMO. No offence intended to any writers or editors, I still buy the new ones as well.

Jason

• RMweb Gold

I'm waiting for them to go back to including pictures of the actual modellers on the front cover with their layouts. Ideally dressed in cardigan, shirt and tie, and smoking a pipe.

... But, if they're smoking a pipe, how can they possibly be described as "average enthusiasts"?