Distillery yard micro layout - back out on the exhibition circuit

Right so progress on the move, all my train stuff has been safely moved into the new railway room with all those dodgy shelves cleared out. I just need to organise the space, un pack some things a d measure up the space available for a new layout. :) As it stands I will have no WiFi for 2 more weeks so my posts may be infrequent and lacking many pictures so that I save my mobile data.

Did Hornby/Rails never fix the Sentinel for you then?

Well, when I sent it back to them they said they couldn't find a fault (and neither could I) but it just ran erratically sometimes on smooth track. With it being out of stock and that exact model being out of production they couldn't replace it so they just sent it back. A bit disappointing but I'll try again to get to the bottom of it. If I can get it running smoothly then I would quite like to try a DCC concepts super capacitor in it.

HI Luke,

Your seafoam trees look really nice - I like that you went with brown/ruddy colours and then fitted green foliage, it looks very authentic.  What did you use for the foliage and how did you glue them please? Many guides I've seen suggest using spray glue and sprinkling leaf-scatter ontop, but then the trunks and branches end up covered too!

HI Luke,

Your seafoam trees look really nice - I like that you went with brown/ruddy colours and then fitted green foliage, it looks very authentic.  What did you use for the foliage and how did you glue them please? Many guides I've seen suggest using spray glue and sprinkling leaf-scatter ontop, but then the trunks and branches end up covered too!

Hi there, I gave the trunks a light dusting over with the airbrush with some thinned valleyo cork brown. I would've sprayed the trees but I didn't have any spray adhesive so in the spirit of improvisation I dipped the trunks in a 60:50 mix of water to PVA glue but I only dunked the leafy parts of the seafoam. It was then sprinkled with a scatter mix (see pic below).post-32204-0-84825900-1540578165_thumb.jpg I hope this is helpful, if you have any other questions I'd be happy to answer them.

Very nice Luke, honestly when I saw the first few pages I was prepared to be underwhelmed but honestly the layout has blown my socks off and it's a real treat to see how it's come together. 

You must be very proud, and I can't wait to see what you might achieve with a bit longer space!

With many cold evenings ahead and an empty work bench my attached can now turn to the rear right hand corner of the layout. I want to build a building with a pagoda on top which is quite a distinctive type of building. Currently I'm just doing a mock up to what looks kind of right. I think it will fill the corner very nicely and add some more personality to the layout. post-32204-0-02584000-1540844954_thumb.jpg Hopefully the half term ahead will give me some opportunity to do some work on it. I'm thinking a ply wood shell with hand laid slates to get the correct curvature. I have an article in which Nigel Burkin builds some distillery buildings which I might reference for some ideas. Thanks for looking. :)

• Like 3

Well I'm very excited to get this through the post today! It's Hornby magazines latest run of their exclusive diesel brake tender. I missed the last batch so had to order one this time and what a better livery to get than BR green with yellow warning panels. They come fitted with lamps which is a standard which I think every manufacturer should aim for. I quickly swapped the nem couplings out for some kadees and it is now part of the fleet. Now they may not be the most prototypical piece of kit to run on this layout but my excuse is despite the short train lengths, the route to the distillery is full of steep gradients and since it is a Scottish layout, the rails are always likely to be wet so that extra braking power is necessary. Here's a picture of the 25 with the brake tender about to depart from the distillery with a loaded train of whisky. post-32204-0-89183300-1541069865_thumb.jpg

• Like 4

Some exciting news for you today, due to a change in circumstances, Distillery Yard will now be appearing at the EBOR model railway exhibition which is in York in February. It's isn't the big Easter show but is a smaller show with about 10 layouts and a great atmosphere. I've been in attendance for 3 years now and look forward to exhibiting there. I just need to finalise some details with the exhibition manager and finish off some bits on the layout but I'm getting there!

• Like 4

post-6265-0-26928800-1322730869_thumb.jp

Looking forward to seeing the pagoda finished. I used a solid block of wood placed in the centre of the building for the pagoda vent. This supported the roof etc and made construction of the vent much easier.

IB

• Like 3

post-6265-0-26928800-1322730869_thumb.jp

Looking forward to seeing the pagoda finished. I used a solid block of wood placed in the centre of the building for the pagoda vent. This supported the roof etc and made construction of the vent much easier.

IB

That's a good idea to use a solid core of the pagoda for the structure of the building. Because mine is low relief I will just use a solid core for the actual pagoda top bit. For me the biggest concern was the curvature of the roof. Im thinking that I'll glue gun cereal packet card to the card supports the PVA it in more firmly once I've got it looking right.
  • Like 1

So I have now completed the solid substructure for the pagoda topped building. 4mm ply wood, corrugated cardboard and some grey board card stuff makes up the structure and it just needs to be covered in plaster for the stone work before having the roof glue gunned down. The dimensions of it are entirely made up in my head and I decided on them on what looks right and what I have the space for.post-32204-0-49650400-1541236277_thumb.jpg Unfortunately, as half term draws to a close and I look at the mountain of homework I still have to start, I won't be able to do as much work on my models for a couple of days whilst I catch up with everything. Hopefully though once this building is done I can move to my favourite stage of any layout build.... The detailing!

post-32204-0-49650400-1541236277_thumb.jpg

• Like 3

A bit of progress with the pagoda building. I have now scibed the stone work, probably the dullest modelling task out there but the effect is good.post-32204-0-52938200-1541523856_thumb.jpg Before painting the stone work with the airbrush, I will sort the roof out. This week I've also placed an order in from modelu for some of their fantastic figures to populate the layout with. Thanks for looking. :)

A fiddly job this evening! I've been building some very fiddly tiny bits of point rodding from the wills kit. Because it's all so small there isn't much to show you but heres a picture anyway.post-32204-0-71352400-1541967112_thumb.jpg So far I've made all the rodding for one of the points. It will need painting and weathering as well as the other point will. Instead of buying a lever bank kit I'm also going to scratch build a small 2 lever frame. It should be quite a nice detail feature when it's all done but I've still got a long way to go!

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Hello Luke. I have just been catching up on your layout build thread and your modelling techniques and weathering of this layout are excellent. I like the way you make your stone walls. Your layout is very inspirational.:)

Thanks Kevo and ooman. Last night I painted the point rodding for the post by closest to the fiddly yard and stuck that down. It was quite a fiddly job again but I quite like how it looks. Here is a picture of it. post-32204-0-00628200-1542095587_thumb.jpg I am also going to put an enamel wash over it to make it grubby and more realistic but wanted to do that once everything has dried and set so that'll be a job for this evening. After that I will start the other point and begin looking into scratch building a lever frame.

• Like 3