Well the superb builds by Ruston and others have wreaked their reward!!

£102 for a Hudswell on ebay.

I had a go but I have enough unbuilt stuff to go that high.!

I hope it gets built!

On ebay, there is an unbuilt Centre Models Stephenson, Hawthorns 0-4-0 and the Kingdom kits Barclay out there now.

Go on try a bit of history!!!

C.

That is expensive for an old whitemetal kit!

Damn Straight!!!

Can't wait to see what the other two go for! 

I'm in the process of building the Centre Models S & H tank at the moment. An historical exercise with a kit I've had in the Loft Insulation for quite a while.

It has bits in it that were not in the kit off ebay..

Enjoyable modelling!

I have a High Level S & H tank, state of the art and a lovely kit. If the price gets daft not worth going for it.

Buy the High Level one!!

C.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

The kingdom kit went for daft money...

Suppose I should build my Judith Edge Hunslets, long boiler and diesels before I buy anything else.

Baz

• Like 2

Here's one I built earlier - extremely earlier!  This is 'Geoffrey', built as my first P4 loco nearly 40 years ago.  His chassis has had several incarnations over the years. The first was the then current 'state of the art' with Studiolith gearbox, D11 motor, Studiolith sprung hornblocks etc. and Sharman wheels.  The gearbox wore out and the wheels came loose so Gibson wheels and a DS10 were fitted on Romford 40:1 gearing in a Perseverance motor mount.  This eventually went tots-up so I made and fitted some solid wheels for split-frame  but retained the motor and gearing.  The springs fell apart so the driven axle was locked solid and a pivot point fitted for the other. This is how he still is and, after some fettling last year, still seems to run OK.  He is a bit basic compared to modern kits - but I've still got a soft spot for him!

post-807-0-49840900-1529068453.jpg

The photo was taken on my 'Lower Pandy' layout back in the 90's.

BTW, I could build a brother for him and name him 'Chaucer'.................................

Another BTW - how much did the Kingdom Barclay go for?

Edited by 5050
  • Like 3

Here's one I built earlier - extremely earlier!  This is 'Geoffrey', built as my first P4 loco nearly 40 years ago.  His chassis has had several incarnations over the years. The first was the then current 'state of the art' with Studiolith gearbox, D11 motor, Studiolith sprung hornblocks etc. and Sharman wheels.  The gearbox wore out and the wheels came loose so Gibson wheels and a DS10 were fitted on Romford 40:1 gearing in a Perseverance motor mount.  This eventually went tots-up so I made and fitted some solid wheels for split-frame  but retained the motor and gearing.  The springs fell apart so the driven axle was locked solid and a pivot point fitted for the other. This is how he still is and, after some fettling last year, still seems to run OK.  He is a bit basic compared to modern kits - but I've still got a soft spot for him!

attachicon.gifLOWER PANDY (6)a.jpg

BTW, I could build a brother for him and name him 'Chaucer'.................................

I'm afraid I can't help on the price of the Barclay I'm afraid.

The S&H is great!

C.

£140 for the Kingdom kits Barclay!

Paul A

You know what they say about a fool and his money... Now is anyone one here going to admit to buying an ancient and not very accurate kit for what is probably more than double (once you've bought wheels, gearbox and motor) what you can buy a RTR one for?

Edited by Ruston

£140 for the Kingdom kits Barclay!

Paul A

HOW MUCH!!!!!!!!!!!!

Probably my fault for showing that the thing can be built.

I want some commission............................

• RMweb Premium

I got hold of the body of a Centre Models RSH and Mike Edge kindly built a compensated chassis for it... welcome Odin

post-7650-0-59368100-1529141299_thumb.jpg

goes well with the other Centre Models kits

Avonside Puddleglum (complete with a Ks still working HP2M motor(!)

post-7650-0-00498200-1529141334_thumb.jpg

and a Hunslet Percy

post-7650-0-55057300-1529141385_thumb.jpg

and a Kerr Stuart Wee Fergie

post-7650-0-02565800-1529141401_thumb.jpg

Baz

• Like 5

I got hold of the body of a Centre Models RSH and Mike Edge kindly built a compensated chassis for it... welcome Odin

attachicon.gifRSH Odin No 4 (1280x637).jpg

goes well with the other Centre Models kits

Avonside Puddleglum (complete with a Ks still working HP2M motor(!)

attachicon.gifAvonside Puddleglum No 1 (1280x726).jpg

and a Hunslet Percy

attachicon.gifPercy No 2 (1280x637).jpg

and a Kerr Stuart Wee Fergie

attachicon.gifWee Fergie No 3 (1280x604).jpg

Baz

Lovely bits of history, Baz..

That reminds me, my first Centre kit was a Victory. Her chassis went the way of all flesh and she went into 'The Drawer!!'

I have an Agenoria chassis for her somewhere!

I must dig it out!!

Oh yes, then there is the rocking Austerity!!

The dodgy whitemetal chassis block has worn itself into running better now than it did 30yrs ago when I built it!!

The K's motor in that should have expired considering how hot it has got over the years!!

Oh No, takes a licking, keeps on ticking!!!!

C.

• Like 2

I built one of those Centre Models RS&H kits many, many years ago. (About 35 years, iirc :O ). I put an ECM motor in it during construction. Remember them? I sold it to another member of this parish about 8 years ago - it's still going strong :)

• Like 2

I put an ECM motor in it during construction. Remember them?

I've still got one, unused.

Do you think that if I put it on e-bay the guy who bought the Kingdom Kit might buy it for period correctness?

For similarly inflated price.................... :triniti:

• Like 4

I built one of those Centre Models RS&H kits many, many years ago. (About 35 years, iirc :O ). I put an ECM motor in it during construction. Remember them? I sold it to another member of this parish about 8 years ago - it's still going strong :)

Snap!!

I've got at least two of those motors running upstairs!!

In the right locomotive, they are a damn good motor!

C.

• RMweb Gold

attachicon.gifLOWER PANDY (6)a.jpg

Did that appear in MRC in the late 70s/early 80s, on (hope I have got this right) Presgwyn?

That was a pleasant layout: early shelf layout and in P4, too. Iirc, there was also a 5800 on it.

Thank you.  Even though it was simple it was good to operate and always seemed to generate interest at shows.  The 58xx is a K's and I still have it in much the same condition.  Originally built as 00 it was my first conversion to P4 and it still has the narrow frames with washers on the axles.  A DS10 motor, Romford 40:1 gears and Sharman wheels propel it quite smoothly.  I gave it a 'going over' last year and 'tuned' the pickups etc. and it runs very well.  I treated it to new number plates at the same time so it now has an etched smokebox plate rather than the hand lettered one.

• RMweb Gold

Thank you.  Even though it was simple it was good to operate and always seemed to generate interest at shows.  The 58xx is a K's and I still have it in much the same condition.  Originally built as 00 it was my first conversion to P4 and it still has the narrow frames with washers on the axles.  A DS10 motor, Romford 40:1 gears and Sharman wheels propel it quite smoothly.  I gave it a 'going over' last year and 'tuned' the pickups etc. and it runs very well.  I treated it to new number plates at the same time so it now has an etched smokebox plate rather than the hand lettered one.

Any pictures you can share?