Motor polarity

Blimey, so many replies! 

I have done both the multi-meter test and 9v battery test on the rails and not surprisingly the results were the same and the 66 behaved correctly. My earlier question about the pcb in a Bachmann 08 was along the lines of it maybe having had it removed and hard wired for dcc, then the decoder removed and put back to dc, minus the pcb with the polarity incorrect when it was sold.

As I have now sourced a cheap EZ command to see how things work on dcc it's not an issue as as others have mentioned I can select the direction of travel, and I will have to hard-wire an 8 pin harness into the 08 anyway so can swap it over if I feel the need to.

I do appreciate all the interest though :-)

Edited by Midnight-Freight

• RMweb Premium

Please explain what is so complicated about a battery test? I fail to see the difficulty of something that takes 30 seconds and avoids guessing. Probably you are right that almost all RTR would conform - but if your wrong, you will end up with 3 locos wired backwards...

Did I mention battery test? NO.

I will now, I know modellers who would even get that simple test the wrong way round.

• RMweb Premium

I will now, I know modellers who would even get that simple test the wrong way round.

There are those that are convinced if you swap a DCC feed round the locos will go the other way.......

• RMweb Gold

I couldn't get a 9v battery, so I've got a AA one instead, but I've had to bend the rail really badly to make it touch the contacts...

• RMweb Premium

I couldn't get a 9v battery, so I've got a AA one instead, but I've had to bend the rail really badly to make it touch the contacts...

And then the loco runs so ssllooooowwwwllllllyyyyy, you hardly notice its moving.