Millholme 4mm Kits - LMS Patriot

• RMweb Gold

Reason i ask is an ebay seller "harrystoyshop1982" was selling a "complete" kit on ebay. I couldnt see the chassis and when i challenged him hoping he would change the description to accurately reflect what he was selling he got very upset and was being very arrogant and rude in his reponses. In the end, he just pulled me off the listing. Good for me but not for someone who might buy it thinking it was complete. Horrible seller. Shame, as he had some very good kits on offer and I would have been tempted with at least two of his other kits. Not now though!

Edited by ianLMS

My Millholme Q4, unbuilt, has a brass chassis, but more thick plate in the style of DJH rather than etched as we've come to know it today.

The ebay seller you mention often seems to have interesting stuff, which I've watched but as far as I recall never managed to buy.

FWIW there has been a re-launch of Millholme, and they had a stall at the GC event last weekend. I don't know if they're planning to do the Patriot, as for many people the RTR Bachmann effort will be preferable and cheaper, and they do seem to be concentrating on more esoteric items not available, or likely to be, in RTR.

John.

• RMweb Gold

Thank you John - like I said, I was very interested in a couple of his kits nad he had 100% feedback. I was just a little concenred when he gave me such a poor response. I know he was probably thinking that I was just fishing to keep the price low, but I know if I sell something, I want it to be accurate and I respect the buyer. I think he has pulled the Patriot listing now, or banned me from seeing it!

Reason i ask is an ebay seller "harrystoystore1982" was selling a "complete" kit on ebay....

Is that the same bloke who's also flogging some Alan Gibson ones as having been "stored for decades"? The kits in question were only introduced by Alan Gibson in about 2000.

Yes, He's removed it from sale and will probably relist it.

I think I've used him before and he was fine.

To be honest most "ancient" kits have poor chassis anyway. If buying them then I always take into consideration that I may have to spend another £15 to £40 on a chassis or frames depending on what it is.

Jason

• RMweb Gold

Is that the same bloke who's also flogging some Alan Gibson ones as having been "stored for decades"? The kits in question were only introduced by Alan Gibson in about 2000.

Yep. Thats the same one**.

** EDIT: No, its not the same seller. The one I am talking about has another Millholme kit (LSWR H16), plus around 20 other kits, DJH, Jidenco and HO stuff etc,  and he is based in Doncaster. 

Like I said - I would have been very interested in some of his kits if he had been a bit nicer about it. I was trying to help prevent some poor sucker paying top price for an incomplete kit which he chose to advertise incorrectly and he took offence at me. I was polite and courteous throughout though. I was still going to bid on it, and find a chassis elesewhere!!! Never mind though - I am sure if I bid on something of his another day, he will either refuse my custom, or just not deliver! 

Edited by ianLMS

• RMweb Gold

I built one way back, I think it was a brass screwed together chassis like DJH, but will check tonight. Went together ok, although I don't think I got the boiler to sit quite right - I was only 21 at the time LOL

1120775518_P4065735(1).JPG.e9a1c7e41f4c54294dd7fff7fc9f11c9.JPG

P4065716.JPG.effd9b3a82e817ae6efd8aeca5f91d1f.JPG

I might still have the instructions ....

Edited by RedgateModels
  • Like 3

• RMweb Gold

Pretty looking model there. If one comes up cheap enough i might be interested. 

I just checked a few more of his listings and he has a few with missing chassis, but listed as complete, un-opened etc so beware potential buyers!!!

Edited by ianLMS

• RMweb Gold

I've got one Millholme Loco (SR Z) which I bought already assembled, stripped down and re-did properly. Darned good layout loco and one of my favourite models still.

The chassis is best described as "of it's time" which I think was probably the latter half of the 1960's.

So, traditional jig-drilled milled brass strip with screw-in spacers rather than the detailed fine etchings one would expect with a modern kit. Sturdy, workmanlike and fairly straightforward to assemble square, but not one for the super-detail merchant without a fair bit of extra work.

John

Edited by Dunsignalling

Feedback isn't worth the screen it's written on - see my thread here:

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/135055-feedback-is-a-joke/

Total nonsense.

You're using an extreme example to highlight a minor problem* rather than someone who has had over 2000 positive feedbacks. This sellers feedback is exemplary. 

https://feedback.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewFeedback2&userid=harrystoyshop1982&&_trksid=p2047675.l2560&rt=nc&iid=263753031664&sspagename=VIP%3Afeedback&ftab=FeedbackAsSeller

* Maybe not minor to you, but on the whole it is when you are talking about multimillions of successful transactions a year.

Jason

• RMweb Premium

Total nonsense.

You're using an extreme example to highlight a minor problem* rather than someone who has had over 2000 positive feedbacks. This sellers feedback is exemplary. 

https://feedback.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewFeedback2&userid=harrystoyshop1982&&_trksid=p2047675.l2560&rt=nc&iid=263753031664&sspagename=VIP%3Afeedback&ftab=FeedbackAsSeller

* Maybe not minor to you, but on the whole it is when you are talking about multimillions of successful transactions a year.

Jason

Yes, many successful transactions and happy customers - I've no reason to suggest for this seller that it's anything otherwise.

However, I've now had sellers failing to deliver (and I had to go thru' Paypal to get a sizeable sum refunded) plus my latest issue where a purchaser failed to pay (and I had to use the Ebay Resolution Process in order to avoid paying Fees on a sale that never happened).

In both cases, and even after these problems, the Guilty parties still appear at first glance to have 100% positive feedback.  In fact in the case of the seller I was unable to leave any feedback, good or bad; for the case of the buyer it was only possible to leave a positive rating - you have to read the actual comments in order to understand problems people have had.

The issue I make is that just because a seller/buyer appears to have a 100% rating it doesn't necessarily reflect the truth of the matter - there can be a string of problems that Ebay have done very well to hide.

HTH

• RMweb Gold
On 19/06/2018 at 20:57, Podhunter said:

I don't see a Patriot listed by Harry's Toy Shop.  Perhaps he sold it?

Listing ended because description was wrong, I guess he realised there was no chassis ...

here's some instructions 🙂

pat-20062018073722-1.jpg.831bc5542006f6fc14fa3a61104c5bf1.jpg

pat-20062018073722-2.jpg.e83809d397232590841258976355091d.jpg

pat-20062018073722-3.jpg.96d09ecfb0dfe0d476c3b12eac07625d.jpg

Edited by RedgateModels

• RMweb Gold

Thank you all - as I said, I informed him of the lack of chassis, but my issue was that he was so rude and obnoxious about me pointing it out, and rather than say "oh, thank you for that, i will amend the posting", he got nasty, refused to amend the posting, sent me some childish replies, and took the listing off telling me that it was his decision who he sold it to, and that he made the decision for me........ so there!!!

I like the fact he has positive feedback, and I am sure he is a very good seller - he just wasnt happy someone called him out I guess. 

Edited by ianLMS

• RMweb Gold

The seller contacted me this afternoon - see below;

"Hi,
After fully researching this kit it turns out I was correct after all.... It includes a full white metal chassis as per the instructions included by the maker. It does also include the motor and wheels etc which were not originally part of this kit to make a fully operational model."

However, I am still confused as I have never seen a white metal chassis and every picture I see of a Millholme patriot Kit (Google Images), it shows 2 brass chassis sides. I might be mistaken, and if I am I will apologise to the seller. If I am right though, there will be a "complete" Millholme Patriot Kit appearing on Ebay very shortly without a chassis!

Ian

• RMweb Gold

OK, I'll scratch some of the black paint off this evening and prove it one way or another ......

Now, I wouldnt want you to go to that trouble just to answer a petty argument about a cheap (or maybe not) kit between me and this seller!! I am not going to lose sleep over it and I will just keep my eye out for a complete kit,  with a brass chassis labelled No 79 on your instructions!!!

Out of interest, what other chassis' would work with a Millholme body only kit? 

Edited by ianLMS

• RMweb Gold

Didn't get chance in any case, ended up moving the huge corner sofa with SWMBO so that hoovering and moth hunting could be undertaken. Very sore back this morning LOL

Lol - the things we do to maintain domestic bliss!!!!