Southern Region through the 1970s and 80s

acg5324

• RMweb Premium

The first of six books I’m doing for Amberley Publishing will be available mid September. First proof has just gone back to them for corrections.

https://www.amberley-books.com/community-main-page/g/community-andy-gibbs-22/the-southern-region-in-the-1970s-and-1980s.html

The second volume will cover the WR and I’m just finishing scanning the photos for this, it should be available in November.

• Like 6

• RMweb Premium

I shall look out for that with interest.

Any pics on London Bridge Station in the 80s?

G

Yes, all taken at the south end looking north from platform 4. Edited by acg5324

Looks really interesting, especially if these are previously unpublished pics?

Many books like this previously have concentrated on the SWD. I see Ashford is mentioned in the blurb, which is great. Are there any pics of freight in the Medway or Sheerness route? 

• RMweb Premium

Looks really interesting, especially if these are previously unpublished pics?

Many books like this previously have concentrated on the SWD. I see Ashford is mentioned in the blurb, which is great. Are there any pics of freight in the Medway or Sheerness route?

Crayford, Gravesend, Tonbridge and Ashford.

I’ve tried splitting it fairly evenly between the divisions at the expense of Brighton and Sussex which will get a volume to themselves.

There about 50 from the SED, 70 from the Central and 60 from the SWD.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

gallery_681_3476_115975.jpg

Pleased to say that my copy arrived in the post this morning.

A nice volume this.   A good varied collection showing the mix of traffic on BR(S) during the 1970s and 1980s.  The images aren't all EMUs and DEMUs either.  There're numerous images of 'foreign' traction on BR(S) metals as well.

Being brought up in Hampshire, the 70s and 80s are my 'formative years' and this book touches the spot for me in bringing back the memories of what the 'Southern' was like during that time.

Thoroughly recommended and I look forward to the publication of the second volume which will cover the Western Region.  

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Pleased to say that my copy arrived in the post this morning.

A nice volume this.   A good varied collection showing the mix of traffic on BR(S) during the 1970s and 1980s.  The images aren't all EMUs and DEMUs either.  There're numerous images of 'foreign' traction on BR(S) metals as well.

Being brought up in Hampshire, the 70s and 80s are my 'formative years' and this book touches the spot for me in bringing back the memories of what the 'Southern' was like during that time.

Thoroughly recommended and I look forward to the publication of the second volume which will cover the Western Region.

Thank you for that, you’re one up on me I haven’t seen a copy in the flesh yet, just the electronic pdf from the publishers.

Eastern Region book went in last week two months ahead of schedule. London Midland Region one next.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...