Locomotive hauled narrow gauge within day trip range of Interlaken?

Coryton

• RMweb Premium

I've seen some nice layouts of Swiss narrow gauge railways with proper loco hauled trains and would quite like to experience the real thing.

However, I get the impression that like much of the world a lot of services are now run by multiple units, albeit some with nice big windows, rack fitted etc.

I have one day in Interlaken in an up-coming trip. Does anyone know if there are any loco-hauled trains left within day trip range?

The ZentralBahn to Luzern seems to be run by EMUs now. The other narrow gauge part of the "Golden Pass" route (to Lausanne) seems to run their Panoramic trains with a engine in the middle and control cars at each end - an unusual configuration but not quite what I had in mind. Maybe the "Classic" trains are more conventional but there aren't many of those.

The MOB seem to have a lot of multiple units for the Zermatt line but maybe loco-hauled as well? 

The Glacier Express appears to be loco-hauled but the times don't really work for me and nor does the cost of the reservations.

And that's about as far as I've got - it seems to be fairly easy to find what routes EMUs run on, but not so easy to find where they don't run.

If anyone has any reasonably up-to-date information I'd be much obliged!

• RMweb Premium

The Schynige Platte Bahn uses locos but I don't think that's what you mean!

I don't know whether the BOB now has EMUs now but their stock used to be a power car* hauling x number of coaches, two such formations joined would leave Interlaken and divide at Zweilütschinen for the journeys to Grindelwald & Luterbrunnen.

Keith

*the power car also carried passengers.

Edited by melmerby

• RMweb Premium

The MOB still has hourly hauled trains :

9723718355_1f148cbba0_c.jpgMOB 6002 Gstaad by Neil Sutton, on Flickr

Thanks for that. That looks more like it.  (Although is that a locomotive or is it a motor luggage van? There is a suspiciously large door in the side...)

Most of the pictures I can see though show the panoramic trains as having an engine in the middle and "streamlined" push-pull cars at each end.

Certainly a loco-hauled/propelled train, but as I said above not quite what I was looking for.

The images I've seen of MGB push-pull trains hauled/propelled by a motor luggage car look more like "proper trains" to me.

I got the impression that the 'regular' MOB trains (i.e. not panoramic or classic) were multiple units but could be wrong.

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

Also worth checking if there will be any steam specials over the ng between Interlaken and Mayerhofen.

That would be quite a journey.

Best pack a passport as well :jester:

Keith

• RMweb Premium

And there is of course the BRB at Brienz - expensive way of climbing a mountain but it should be 'quick boil' steam on the job.  Also worth checking if there will be any steam specials over the ng between Interlaken and Mayerhofen.

attachicon.gifDSCF0148.jpg

That would be quite a journey.

Best pack a passport as well :jester:

Keith

I suspect, Watson, that The Stationmaster intended Meiringen rather than Mayerhofen, so that the traveller could oberve the status of the Brienzer Rothern Bahn on the way through. At Meiringen there is the Sherlock Holmes statue, and the link with the Reichenbach Falls. Presumably Moriarty caused a typo by some foul means......

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

I suspect, Watson, that The Stationmaster intended Meiringen rather than Mayerhofen, so that the traveller could oberve the status of the Brienzer Rothern Bahn on the way through. At Meiringen there is the Sherlock Holmes statue, and the link with the Reichenbach Falls. Presumably Moriarty caused a typo by some foul means......

The BOB do of course run steam specials on occasion, as do the SPB

I was fortunate to be there during their 100th anniversary bash. (purely by chance)

My pictures are elsewhere on the forum.

Keith

• Like 1

I'm pretty sure the Luzern - Engelberg express at the other end of the ZB is still loco hauled

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/114732-swiss-holidays/page-1

Last did the train in 2016, but it was still the same setup in 2017 when we visited.

If you can get down to Brig then the ex FO part of the MGB definitely still runs the baggage motor + coach sets which are sometimes loco hauled instead. Follows the glacia express route but doesn't cost an excessive amount extra and you don't have to do the whole route.

The BOB is well worth the journey IMHO, when I went (ok 10 years ago next month) the stock was a real mixed bag of vehicles including some very nice and new Stadler trailers and driving trailers. I think it is sort of loco hauled, but the loco is basically a Railcar. 

To put it into more british terms, imagine a Pantograph fitted Class 153 hauling some MK2 and Mk3s with a DVT on the end.

post-13109-0-31235000-1531181417_thumb.jpg

post-13109-0-40035500-1531181435_thumb.jpg

post-13109-0-81067500-1531181486_thumb.jpg

post-13109-0-42147400-1531181546_thumb.jpg

Enjoy!

Wild Boar Fell

• Like 1

If you are travelling on the MOB from Interlaken, be aware that the 'first' train at a civilised time is usually heaving with tourists, but if you delay your start, or divert to do the branch down to Lenk, you will probably find you have nearly a coach to yourself (as I did).

post-336-0-29445400-1531205729.jpg

Jon

If you are travelling on the MOB from Interlaken, be aware that the 'first' train at a civilised time is usually heaving with tourists, but if you delay your start, or divert to do the branch down to Lenk, you will probably find you have nearly a coach to yourself (as I did).

attachicon.gifbls100007.jpg

Jon

Similar experience with plenty of room to spread out on the 1100-ish Golden Pass train from Zweisimmen to Montreux, which was composed of the mad "fake-antique" coaches (really comfortable I have to say):

post-6971-0-55534300-1531652981.jpg

That was ordinary 2nd class, but I had to check as it looked like a Pullman!

Loco backing on:

post-6971-0-67396200-1531653127.jpg

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Some really interesting photographs there.

Having spent considerable time with the Thomas Cook* timetable and the SBB journey planner (which is quite happy with a circular trip though it won't offer you a fare) I'm thinking of heading down to Brig the scenic way, then the narrow gauge to Andermatt, to Goeschenen and back to Interlaken via Luzern.

Should be some good scenery and a variety of rolling stock, and comfortably do-able in a day even with some missed connections.

* I think think of it as the Thomas Cook even if it isn't.

• Like 2