English Electric GT3

Frond

Firstly apologies if this is being discussed in another post but I could not find it via the search.

In the July issue of Hornby magazine there is an article about a project to build a rtr model of the English Electric GT3. Personally the GT3 would not on the top of my list of one off locomotives to model (l would be more interested in a LMS Turbomotive or LNER Hush- Hush) but it is an interesting prospect nevertheless.

The article states that the project is being led by Keith Revell without any further information as to his background, perhaps the name should be familiar but l am afraid it means nothing to me.

There is a Facebook page apparently which has more information but as l don't do Facebook l don't know what it says.

• RMweb Gold

Having seen the Facebook page, the only information that I could get was

It will apparently cost £180, but this is subject to change

He doesn't know how long it will take to do

He plans on only making as many as is ordered

And at the moment everything is just gathering interest to see if it is viable, however he doesn't say how he is doing that

I know what my thoughts are following my visit there, I'll let you draw your own from what I have said

For those who didn't see it, there was a long thread on the 'construction ' of a model using the Golden Arrow body and a lot of other bits at http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/114917-building-the-chocolate-zephyr-gt3/page-1 and following.

The Facebook site seems to be making free with a lot of images without acknowledging their source?

regards

martin

• RMweb Premium

Having seen the Facebook page, the only information that I could get was

It will apparently cost £180, but this is subject to change

He doesn't know how long it will take to do

He plans on only making as many as is ordered

And at the moment everything is just gathering interest to see if it is viable, however he doesn't say how he is doing that

I know what my thoughts are following my visit there, I'll let you draw your own from what I have said

Link please, thank you.

To ensure it happens I will get to work on my resin GT3 straight away.

Apparently if you have the earlier edition of this kit the body is a bit short in length. This can be corrected without too much trouble and there is a build thread by cctransuk somewhere on here covering just that.

John.

re. edit - Found the reference "Building the Chocolate Zephyr (GT3)", in Kitbuilding & Scratchbuilding

Edited by John Tomlinson

Once saw GT3 at Derby on a passenger train heading south (Leicester, London  ?), when I was spotting there as a youth.

Nowadays 'yoof' would call it 'cool'. It was certainly impressive.  

• RMweb Premium

Thanks.

I did a search on faceache, before asking for the link. I put in just GT3 and GT3 locomotive, loads of stuff about cars, red ones, yellow ones and all of them far too0 low for this old body to get into.

I don't think it ever got tested ON the Southern. Have seen pictures of it on Shap. (CJL)

Don't know why I said Southern, maybe just meant in the South, bearing in mind my location - see my username!

• RMweb Gold

Thanks.

I did a search on faceache, before asking for the link. I put in just GT3 and GT3 locomotive, loads of stuff about cars, red ones, yellow ones and all of them far too0 low for this old body to get into.

I had the same problem at first. I ended up searching for the loco on Google and getting a link from there!

• 2 months later...

To ensure it happens I will get to work on my resin GT3 straight away.

Me too, I have one on my workbench right now. Just the dam connecting rods to sort then it will be assembly and painting.

I've already done Hush-Hush and Turbomotive, have all bits for a Fell (except a small milling machine to rework a pair of 08 chassis) but a Big Bertha would be nice (DJH kit would set me back £300 and require an awful lot of work to build the model to a standard I would be satisfied with - so I dropped the idea for now).

Edited by JSpencer

have all bits for a Fell (except a small milling machine to rework a pair of 08 chassis)

There might soon be plenty of A1 Models Fell kits appearing on ebay now that a more accurate one has just been released by Judith Edge Kits. I collected mine from Mike Edge on Saturday at Scaleforum but yet might still build the A1 Models 'Dinosaur Diesels'version I've had for many years.

This was originally designed I think by Rod Neep, but needs some cutting and reshaping of the bodyshell to provide the curved sides and the turnunders along the bottom. But I'm sure an acceptable model can be made of it with patience. One might be made as the original 4-8-4 (or is it 2-D-2?) in black and t'other as the later 4-4+4-4 (or is that 2-B+B-2?) in lined green. 

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...

Good Afternoon Chaps

I'm heavily involved in building a 7mm Scale model of GT3 for my friend Bob who has MND (Motor Neuron Disease) and now can just about manipulate a joy stick to control his wheel chair. Bob has given me all his research on GT3 which he started in the early 1980s. You can't rush these things! Along with another Dave of the Yeovil MRG a tender has been produced using Bob's data.

Now that I'm moving onto the loco, things don't look quite right between the produced tender and the loco drawings. Trying to scale data from drawings by Skinley and David Malton and photographs is only confusing matters as there are inconsistencies in the derived data – eg the curvature of the roof. Having been told that there's not a lot around for the GT3 I've decided to look myself and found you chaps. And what a lot of nice models you've produced. Thanks for all the info here. I'll be following up the link to the NRM stuff and be sending my daughter to the National Museum Liverpool, as referenced in the link, to look for body geometry data. So I suppose my question is, where else should I be looking? Thanks in advance for any advice.

Regards

Dave

IMG_9681.JPG

• Like 1