Building the Coopercraft GWR cattle wagon kit.

I live in Australia.

Given the ongoing saga of Coopercraft, you've probably as much chance of getting one as anyone. Would it be possible to modify one of kit versions from Dapol (formerly Airfix)? Although these are the BR Diagram, my recollection is that they owed a lot to the GWR one.

What used to be Parkside Dundas now part of Peco, and marketed as Parkside Kits do the 'Beetle'.

The "Beetle" is a prize livestock van, not a general use cattle wagon.  I did the 4mm Parkside kit.  It is very good and worth having in ones wagon stable.  Shame that there is no kit for the cattle wagon (no RTR either?).  Perhaps Slaters will pick it up just as they did the Coopercraft 7mm range.

John

There was an article in the MRJ, years ago on back dating the Airfix/Dapol cattle wagon.

That was my next question : how different is the Dapol RTR cattle wagon from the GWR version ?

...or perhaps Coopercraft will get his new machine working :)

Edited by brian777999

You could use the Parkside LMS or LNER version as they were common user after 1925. Also RTR versions including the Hornby SR ones. Not vacuum braked versions after 1933 though.

That's if your layout is post 1925 that is.

GWR cattle wagon were common user for a few months but were withdrawn due to problems with the doors not being compatible with other companies cattle docks.

Obviously that all changed when war broke out and everything was pooled.

Jason

That was my next question : how different is the Dapol RTR cattle wagon from the GWR version ?

...or perhaps Coopercraft will get his new machine working :)

Oink, flap, oink, flap ...

Chris

• Like 1

Given the ongoing saga of Coopercraft, you've probably as much chance of getting one as anyone. Would it be possible to modify one of kit versions from Dapol (formerly Airfix)? Although these are the BR Diagram, my recollection is that they owed a lot to the GWR one.

The B.R. dia 352 Cattle Wagon such as produced by Airfix/Dapol was a development of the GWR dia W12 so can be backdated reasonably easily.  The main differences are in the underframe.  You would have to increase the wheelbase from a scale 11' to 11' 3" and replace the B.R. axleguards/axleboxes with G.W. types. There a few very minor differences to the body.

Ray.

There's the old brass kit from Jidenco now Falcon Brass available via Dart Castings.

Falcon Brassworks have their own website. Is there a problem there as no kits are being listed at all ? I think I read on another thread something about this.

Edited by brian777999

You could use the Parkside LMS or LNER version as they were common user after 1925. Also RTR versions including the Hornby SR ones. Not vacuum braked versions after 1933 though.

That's if your layout is post 1925 that is.

GWR cattle wagon were common user for a few months but were withdrawn due to problems with the doors not being compatible with other companies cattle docks.

Obviously that all changed when war broke out and everything was pooled.

Jason

Funny how a war can made doors suddenly compatible!

Falcon Brassworks have their own website. Is there a problem there as no kits are being listed at all ? I think I read on another thread something about this.

There is a thread in the Smaller suppliers section. It suggests that Falcon have stopped trading.

There is a list on GWR.org http://www.gwr.org.uk/kits4wagons.html. of the GWR stock kits that have been or are available. Looks like the Dapol kit might be your best bet.

The "Beetle" is a prize livestock van, not a general use cattle wagon.  I did the 4mm Parkside kit.  It is very good and worth having in ones wagon stable.  Shame that there is no kit for the cattle wagon (no RTR either?).  Perhaps Slaters will pick it up just as they did the Coopercraft 7mm range.

John

Arr, but you only put horses in a stable. :sungum:

• 1 month later...

I have picked up one Coopercraft W1/W5 cattle wagon kit on ebay. I am in the process of building and fitting it with Kadees. I am a bit puzzled over the two sets of brake gear supplied in the kit : two of them are right over left and two of them are left over right. I am building the W1 version with DC cross cornered brakes so which set should I be using ? I have cut off the tie rods between the axle bars.

Note : I have searched the internet for images of this wagon and it is built in every possible configuration so no help there as I don't know who is right and who is wrong !

Edited by brian777999

A replacement machine has come and hoping to start production for the Cooper Craft, Mailcoach & Kirk LNER in the near future.

From their website (could be old news).  Also there are some instructions (under "instructions") for the Cattle Wagon which might explain the brakes

A replacement machine has come and hoping to start production for the Cooper Craft, Mailcoach & Kirk LNER in the near future.

From their website (could be old news).  Also there are some instructions (under "instructions") for the Cattle Wagon which might explain the brakes

Yes, but the enclosed instructions do not say anything about why there are two different sets of brake gear. 

I think the answer may be on this website but I will have to read it a few times to get my head around it. He does mention that there are two sets of brake push rods in the Coopercraft kits so I need to sort out which are to be used. (I think it is left over right for the W1 wagons and brake push rods on one side only) :

http://www.gwr.org.uk/nowagonbrakes.html

Edited by brian777999