New to you - ScotRail class 365

Alex TM

• RMweb Premium

Hi everyone,

Finally back on RMWeb after an absence of a few months.  Had to head to Glasgow first thing this morning, and got to travel on one of these:

post-16293-0-44705500-1530127678_thumb.jpg

Two units in service forming the 08:30 Glasgow to Edinburgh, and 09:30 return; only one refreshment trolley.  Had an interesting chat with the driver about both these and the forthcoming 385s.  I've been on these units before when I lived not too far form London, but on the E&G they are given the chance to race a bit.  The downside seems to be that somewhere over 45mph they start to bounce quite a bit, so hold on to your coffee ....  The on-train 'Barista' described it as the 'smiley' train.

Regards,

Alex.

• Like 4

Hi everyone,

Finally back on RMWeb after an absence of a few months.  Had to head to Glasgow first thing this morning, and got to travel on one of these:

attachicon.gifIMG_0021.JPG

Two units in service forming the 08:30 Glasgow to Edinburgh, and 09:30 return; only one refreshment trolley.  Had an interesting chat with the driver about both these and the forthcoming 385s.  I've been on these units before when I lived not too far form London, but on the E&G they are given the chance to race a bit.  The downside seems to be that somewhere over 45mph they start to bounce quite a bit, so hold on to your coffee ....  The on-train 'Barista' described it as the 'smiley' train.

Regards,

Alex.

Tell you what, we'll swap them for our new trains, be good to get them back on the Fen Line. They ride better, & the seats are far better. Good units.

Stewart

• Like 1

Went out on Friday to ride the 365s, for me they are perfectly suitable for the Edinburgh/Queen St route. Well done to Alex Hynes and Scotrail for bringing these sets up at short notice to fill in while the issues with the Class 385 windscreens are sorted out. It shows that, occasionally, the modern railway can still react quickly and positively to maintain a service.

• Like 1

Hi everyone,

Finally back on RMWeb after an absence of a few months. Had to head to Glasgow first thing this morning, and got to travel on one of these:

IMG_0021.JPG

Two units in service forming the 08:30 Glasgow to Edinburgh, and 09:30 return; only one refreshment trolley. Had an interesting chat with the driver about both these and the forthcoming 385s. I've been on these units before when I lived not too far form London, but on the E&G they are given the chance to race a bit. The downside seems to be that somewhere over 45mph they start to bounce quite a bit, so hold on to your coffee .... The on-train 'Barista' described it as the 'smiley' train.

Regards,

Alex.

Someone couldn’t quite match the Hornby yellow when they were detailing the front...
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Hi again,

Talking to another driver in the last week, and he was telling me that the 385s also have suspension issues tough we didn't get the chance to discuss this.  Train crew are really quite chatty when they realise that you are reasonably well informed, and have a genuine interest in their work.

Thanks for all the contributions.

Regards,

Alex.

• 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

Hi again,

I've now had the chance to travel in a few more of these units.  There's a marked difference in ride quality depending on where you sit; the first class sections (very front and rear) seem to be above a bogie, and have a much rougher quality whereas the middle of the coach seems to be fairly smooth.  The latter seems to be the case even when at high speed.

If all goes to plan they will disappear soon enough as the 385s are due to come on stream from Tuesday.

Thanks for reading.

Alex.

Hi again,

I've now had the chance to travel in a few more of these units. There's a marked difference in ride quality depending on where you sit; the first class sections (very front and rear) seem to be above a bogie, and have a much rougher quality whereas the middle of the coach seems to be fairly smooth. The latter seems to be the case even when at high speed.

If all goes to plan they will disappear soon enough as the 385s are due to come on stream from Tuesday.

Thanks for reading.

Alex.

From what I understand, ScotRail will be retaining the 365s even after the full introduction of the 385s, the 365s being considered for use on the Edinburgh-North Berwick/Dunbar services.

• 4 weeks later...

From what I understand, ScotRail will be retaining the 365s even after the full introduction of the 385s, the 365s being considered for use on the Edinburgh-North Berwick/Dunbar services.

It seems that they are now going to be used on Stirling/Alloa/Dunblane services once all the 4-car 385s have entered service on the Edinburgh & Glasgow. ScotRail have them leased until May 2019 at the very least anyway.

I imagine 4-cars will be very welcome on these services considering many are only two-car 156/158s or a three-car 170 at best for much of the day, and from experience they can get quite busy at times, even off-peak.

• 1 month later...

From this December timetable change, subject to the issues with the 385s being resolved, the 365s will be used on the majority of Edinburgh-Dunblane services as 4-car sets. This is planned to last until May 2019 when the lease ends and replacement with 385s.

Also from December when the 365s go over to Dunblane-Edinburgh services, those services will be speeded up by 5 mins on average by the removal of calls at Polmont and Linlithgow. A further 5 mins will be shaved off when the 385s are introduced to the Edinburgh-Dunblane services from May next year.

Assuming the issues with the 385s are rectified soon of course. The 365s remain working the Edinburgh to Glasgow shuttles as 8-car sets presently, just as well with the new issues that have manifested with the 385s.

• RMweb Premium

Hi again,

Interesting note about the abolition of calls at Linlithgow and Polmont; I wonder how the locals will respond when they realise that they are losing 50% of their service (currently 2ph on the Edinburgh-Glasgow shuttle, and 2ph on the Dunblane service).

Regards,

Alex.

• RMweb Premium

It’s odd isn’t it . Just when people from Polmont and Linlithgow can get a seat because the trains are now longer , they are going to pass these towns non stop. Can’t really believe that . Let’s wait to see the timetable

Love the 365s . They go like the clappers!

Edited by Legend

Polmont and Linlithgow won't lose their 4tph though, the new half-hourly Glasgow QS-Falkirk Grahamston-Edinburgh service will be calling at Polmont and Linlithgow, so Polmont and Linlithgow will retain 4 trains to Edinburgh an hour, gain 2 an hour to Glasgow giving 4tph but at the expense of losing direct services to Stirling/Dunblane.

It does mean that stations from Cumbernauld-Falkirk Grahamston double in service and statiobs from Camelon-Edinburgh double in service frequency.

The new GLQ-EDB via Falkirk Grahamston service commences from December and will replace the existing hourly Queen St to Falkirk Grahamston service.

The changes to other service calling patterns are also quite intriguing.

So by my reckoning when the Shotts line is electrified next March you will be able to travel by electric train from Glasgow to Edinburgh by five different routes!

​Glasgow - Edinburgh Via Falkirk High (Classic service)

​Glasgow - Edinburgh Via Cumbernauld and Falkirk Grahamston

​Glasgow - Edinburgh Via Airdrie and Bathgate

​Glasgow - Edinburgh Via Shotts

​Glasgow - Edinburgh Via Carstairs

And the M8 will still be congested!!!!

Jim

• Like 2

Polmont and Linlithgow won't lose their 4tph though, the new half-hourly Glasgow QS-Falkirk Grahamston-Edinburgh service will be calling at Polmont and Linlithgow, so Polmont and Linlithgow will retain 4 trains to Edinburgh an hour, gain 2 an hour to Glasgow giving 4tph but at the expense of losing direct services to Stirling/Dunblane.

It does mean that stations from Cumbernauld-Falkirk Grahamston double in service and statiobs from Camelon-Edinburgh double in service frequency.

The new GLQ-EDB via Falkirk Grahamston service commences from December and will replace the existing hourly Queen St to Falkirk Grahamston service.

The changes to other service calling patterns are also quite intriguing.

As long as the connecting time at Grahamston is not too great (for passengers ex Linlithgow/Polmont towards Stirling, and vice versa), that looks like a good service.

• RMweb Gold

Swmbo uses this service daily and often when there is a problem on the Edinburgh Glasgow service she catches the Dunblane instead so I hope they have plans in place to let the Dunblane service do extra stops if the Edinburgh Glasgow services are disrupted

As long as the connecting time at Grahamston is not too great (for passengers ex Linlithgow/Polmont towards Stirling, and vice versa), that looks like a good service.

Nothing yet mentioned about actual departure/arrival times but it's a same platform change at the very least.

Swmbo uses this service daily and often when there is a problem on the Edinburgh Glasgow service she catches the Dunblane instead so I hope they have plans in place to let the Dunblane service do extra stops if the Edinburgh Glasgow services are disrupted

Well there will be the extra two Glasgow services via Falkirk Grahamston, these will run via Cumbernauld so any disruption from Queen Street out to Falkirk High shouldn't affect them.