Howes Sounds: What Chip?

Roy Langridge

• RMweb Gold

I was hoping somebody can put my mind at rest. I am looking to buy a DCC 8-pin sound chip from Howes, pre-blown with class 58 sounds. The page says it is an ESU chip but nowhere that I can find does it say what type. It looks like a V4.0 but, to be honest, I wouldn't know the difference between a full-fat V4.0 and a Loksound Select. I don't wat to buy one and find out it is the latter. I have sent an email to Howes, but have received no reply.

Has anybody here bought a sound chip who is able to confirm what type it is?

Thanks,

Roy

Edited by Roy Langridge

It is unlikely to be a Select as they are usually used in factory fitted sound locos and I don't believe the Heljan 58 has been available with factory fitted sound.

I would expect the decoder to be a Loksound V4.0 to which Howes have added their own sound file.

However, I cannot be certain as I've never bought one.

Mal

• RMweb Gold

Assume you are paying £99.99?

That will be a full fat V4.0 - not aware they sell owt else, all the sound projects are built for these chips

Cheers

Phil

• RMweb Gold

it will be a full fat v4 as phil said

if you are fitting this to a Heljan 58 i strongly advise you to disconnect the light bulbs, they can cause the chip to fail, ive had a 33 and a 58 fail for this reason.

• RMweb Gold

I opened mine up last night to find (58001 in Railfreight red-stripe) it too had LEDs. I am not sure why I thought it had filament bulbs,

Anyhow, I plan to work out what current is being drawn by the bulbs to see if that is an issue. I have, however,  noted that Howes site states "With the Heljan model please ensure the directional lights are functioning correctly prior to decoder installation. We have found some models where bulbs are creating a `short` which can cause damage to the decoder". Mine do function correctly.

Roy

• RMweb Gold

I opened mine up last night to find (58001 in Railfreight red-stripe) it too had LEDs. I am not sure why I thought it had filament bulbs,

Anyhow, I plan to work out what current is being drawn by the bulbs to see if that is an issue. I have, however,  noted that Howes site states "With the Heljan model please ensure the directional lights are functioning correctly prior to decoder installation. We have found some models where bulbs are creating a `short` which can cause damage to the decoder". Mine do function correctly.

Roy

Hi Roy,

Have you got the second batch?? IE the one commissioned by Olivias trains? if so that would make sense, the earlier ones (including mine) had bulbs and they were shocking lol :)

• RMweb Gold

Hi Roy,

Have you got the second batch?? IE the one commissioned by Olivias trains? if so that would make sense, the earlier ones (including mine) had bulbs and they were shocking lol :)

Original batch as far as I am aware - I bought it second-hand on eBay. It is one of these: http://www.hattons.co.uk/21535/Heljan_5802_Class_58_diesel_58001_in_red_stripe_Railfreight_grey_livery_version_1_/StockDetail.aspx

Roy

I was hoping somebody can put my mind at rest. I am looking to buy a DCC 8-pin sound chip from Howes, pre-blown with class 58 sounds. The page says it is an ESU chip but nowhere that I can find does it say what type. It looks like a V4.0 but, to be honest, I wouldn't know the difference between a full-fat V4.0 and a Loksound Select. I don't wat to buy one and find out it is the latter. I have sent an email to Howes, but have received no reply.

Has anybody here bought a sound chip who is able to confirm what type it is?

Thanks,

Roy

It will be a Lok V4.0  as the SELECT decoder cannot be re-blown by any of the usual suppliers.

Edited by tractor_37260