Bachmann new release dates

chuffinghell

An upgrade to the 57xx ... a removable cab roof so we can put a crew in there perhaps...

Let me offer you a free upgrade to the present model. Remove the two screws visible either side at the back end under the bunker, and the whole cab and bunker lifts off the footplate as a piece. Usually the small moulding mounted on the chassis block representing the boiler back head comes away as well.

There will be some creakings and crackings as you do this because the plastic body construction is lightly tacked with a liquid cement, but I have found this just 'breaks out' cleanly and actually isn't required when reassembling, as everything clips together perfectly well, and the tank side handrails can be sprung back into the terminating stanchions on the cab sides.

With full access to the interior crew addition is a doddle,

Thanks to Dennis for a clearer image of the 158 test assembly (and an EP shot of the N gauge 70/8).

Class 158 EP.jpg

N CLASS 70.EP.01.jpg

The 94xx is most definitely progressing; an extensive R&D folder is being worked through in China to produce the CADs for tolling.

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Let me offer you a free upgrade to the present model. Remove the two screws visible either side at the back end under the bunker, and the whole cab and bunker lifts off the footplate as a piece. Usually the small moulding mounted on the chassis block representing the boiler back head comes away as well.

There will be some creakings and crackings as you do this because the plastic body construction is lightly tacked with a liquid cement, but I have found this just 'breaks out' cleanly and actually isn't required when reassembling, as everything clips together perfectly well, and the tank side handrails can be sprung back into the terminating stanchions on the cab sides.

With full access to the interior crew addition is a doddle,

I have so far baulked at this, as my cabs have not come away easily and I am wary of damaging the model.  But I did it with no problem on the second Mainline 57xx I bought, which I converted to an 8750 before ML had done theirs.  Paradoxically, this cab could have been damaged as much as I liked in removal, but came off clean; Murphy's Law.

But I bring this up occasionally as there is a chance someone from an RTR company will read it and it will stick in his mind; I would love to see removable cab roofs as standard on all models for the purpose of inserting crews, along with empty coal bunkers; not all steam locos ran around with a full load of coal all the time, and having to glue proper coal over the top of the plastic moulding makes the thing look even less probable.  And please, can we have stuff like top feeds as add ons; they are much easier to glue on than they are to hack, file, fill, and dress off...

• RMweb Gold

Thanks to Dennis for a clearer image of the 158 test assembly (and an EP shot of the N gauge 70/8).

attachicon.gifClass 158 EP.jpg

attachicon.gifN CLASS 70.EP.01.jpg

The 94xx is most definitely progressing; an extensive R&D folder is being worked through in China to produce the CADs for tolling.

Thank you for this re-assurance, Andy, but I am not expecting either the projected release date or the price to be met.  There's a lot that can go wrong with it yet!   The online catalogue no longer mentions release dates, and still shows photos of the prototypes.  Nothing to discourarge me from building my temporary LimBach.

• RMweb Gold

Not sure how I will cope being a pensioner, when the new must have loco could cost @£300 or so, then when two arrive in the same month. My £50 pension won’t go very far!

As for wagons, I still run some Peco wonderful wagons, with their paper sides! It’s not all fancy stuff in the DCC world :-)

Do you have a layout I should be following?

Cwmdimbath, under 'South Wales Valleys in the 1950s' in Layout Topics, but I would stop shy of saying that you should follow it!  It was built to a design philosophy of cheap materials, electrical simplicity, and recycled materials, to accommodate my restricted pensioner cashflow and limited space in my rented flat. a poor person's layout.  It has cost about 3 times what I intended, largely due to having to replace Mainline locos that were years old and didn't work any more, folllowed by a redesigned fiddle yard which allowed more trains, hence more stock.  

But I've managed, strictly adhering to the rule that bills, food, and basic living expenses have absolute priority and purchases must be carefully planned around trips to my local railway shop, and come out of my 'going up the pub' budget.  The major capital expenditure, the track, pointwork, basic buildings, and the new stock, is over now and I am starting to be in a position to impulse buy a little, and think about extending the basic stocklist.  

• Like 1

Just to put it into context, Bachmann announced the Brighton Atlantic in 2013 for delivery in 2015.  It is now 2018 and we may see it later this year that will be 5 years from announcement to delivery...

I've had South Foreland on order since it was St Alban's Head. But with Hornby's LN class slated for August(ish), and SWMBO getting 'quite testy', I may just end up not bothering now.

I've had South Foreland on order since it was St Alban's Head. But with Hornby's LN class slated for August(ish), and SWMBO getting 'quite testy', I may just end up not bothering now.

Talking of which, it may not be the South Foreland version but it seems from Derek Hayward's photos of the Bluebell Model Railway Weekend had among them another image of a Beachy Head livery sample

https://www.derekhayward.co.uk/BluebellRailway-1/Model-Railway-Events/Model-Railway-Weekend-2018/i-bZNLcmS/A

Don't give up just yet!