First Class 25, 37, 47 Allocations in Scotland

Hi all,

When were the first Class 25, 37, and 47 diesels allocated to Scotland? Just needed dates in order to visualize a layout.

Cheers,

Yard Shunt 

A very quick look through shedbooks and BR Database http://www.brdatabase.info/index.php can be summarised thus ...

• Class 25: D7611 - 7623 (the batch built with tablet-catcher recesses) were allocated new to 65A Eastfield over the period Apr-Sept 1966
  • Class 37: D6837 - 6859 were re-allocated from South Wales to 64B Haymarket and 66A Polmadie during Aug-Sept 1966
  • Class 47: D1968 - 1976 were allocated new to 64B Haymarket in Oct-Nov 1965

HTH.

Alasdair

• Class 37: D6837 - 6859 were re-allocated from South Wales to 64B Haymarket and 66A Polmadie during Aug-Sept 1966

I first saw EE type 3s in Scotland on a visit to Dunfermline and Thornton Junction sheds on 23 August 1966:

D6821 at Thornton Junction. This was a short-term transfer to Haymarket from the NER.

D6839 at Gourock. Transferred to Polmadie from the WR.

D6840 at Shields Road. Another from the WR to Polmadie.

D6854 at Dunfermline and later at Thornton Junction. Interestingly, this was a transfer to Polmadie from the WR, so seeing it in Fife was a bit unexpected. Here's a picture showing it on Dunfermline shed. From the caption, you can see I wasn't too excited by it (!) - https://www.flickr.com/photos/80572914@N06/7388455250/in/album-72157630164445452/

D6855 at Thornton Junction. Another from the WR to Polmadie, and again rather unexpected in Fife.

I'm not quite sure yet - whether I should model Lowlands or Highlands. I visualized Class 17 diesels on fuel trains (doomed to fail and be picked up a Black Five no doubt) and Class 20 BoBos on re-routed Fife coal or Highland goods traffic. Class 03, 05, 06, and 08 shunters for good measure, 24, 26, and 27 diesels sharing shed space with ex-LNER and LMS stock and even the last of the Caley 'Jumbo' 0-6-0s taking branch line freight and passenger tanks on rural services. 

In short, anywhere between Polmadie to Inverness!

I'm not quite sure yet - whether I should model Lowlands or Highlands. I visualized Class 17 diesels on fuel trains (doomed to fail and be picked up a Black Five no doubt) and Class 20 BoBos on re-routed Fife coal or Highland goods traffic. Class 03, 05, 06, and 08 shunters for good measure, 24, 26, and 27 diesels sharing shed space with ex-LNER and LMS stock and even the last of the Caley 'Jumbo' 0-6-0s taking branch line freight and passenger tanks on rural services. 

In short, anywhere between Polmadie to Inverness!

Look at the central belt for inspiration, with lots of industry and traffic available. The last thing that is needed is yet another highland layout with the obligatory distillery. 

Good luck

John

Look at the central belt for inspiration, with lots of industry and traffic available. The last thing that is needed is yet another highland layout with the obligatory distillery. 

Good luck

John

Hi - A man after my own heart - my layout is based on the Central Belt, with representations of stations in Glasgow and Edinburgh.  I agree with the allocation observations made by Alasdair, but apart from the class 37s which were latecomers to the region, the other classes mentioned made earlier appearances thanks to workings from the LM and ER, the Scottish Region was very capable of "borrowing" these locomotives for internal workings.  If you check out George C O'Hara's excellent series of books, particularly this one https://www.oxfam.org.uk/shop/books/reference/br-diesel-traction-in-scotland-hd_101174849 you will see examples of many classes that you would not immediately associate with Scotland, class 45 and 46 Peaks were fairly common on internal workings, 47s worked in on WCML and ECML jobs from new and strangers like class 28s could also be seen.  The DerbySulzers.com site also details a lot of the early workings. 

Jim

Edited by luckymucklebackit

The latest Booklaw volume “1st generation diesels Scottish Region in colour” (or something like that) is very good for photos. Not so great for typesetting, spelling or the fact they whisky is spelt without an “e”, but nonetheless worth having for the images.

The latest Booklaw volume “1st generation diesels Scottish Region in colour” (or something like that) is very good for photos. Not so great for typesetting, spelling or the fact they whisky is spelt without an “e”, but nonetheless worth having for the images.

Hi John,

Bought said volume (amongst others!) at the recent PMRS. Aside from the spelling of whisky his book is 5 star. Both for the fascinating range of photographs, and for the high quality reproduction.

kind regards,

Robert

Hi - A man after my own heart - my layout is based on the Central Belt, with representations of stations in Glasgow and Edinburgh.  I agree with the allocation observations made by Alasdair, but apart from the class 37s which were latecomers to the region, the other classes mentioned made earlier appearances thanks to workings from the LM and ER, the Scottish Region was very capable of "borrowing" these locomotives for internal workings.  If you check out George C O'Hara's excellent series of books, particularly this one https://www.oxfam.org.uk/shop/books/reference/br-diesel-traction-in-scotland-hd_101174849 you will see examples of many classes that you would not immediately associate with Scotland, class 45 and 46 Peaks were fairly common on internal workings, 47s worked in on WCML and ECML jobs from new and strangers like class 28s could also be seen.  The DerbySulzers.com site also details a lot of the early workings. 

Jim

One Power Controller (now sadly deceased) I worked with took great delight in allocating foreign locos to internal ScR workings, in fact he was renowned for it !

• Like 1

One Power Controller (now sadly deceased) I worked with took great delight in allocating foreign locos to internal ScR workings, in fact he was renowned for it !

Perhaps he was responsible for the Newton Heath Royal Scot (46139) I saw at Gourock in 1962, after it had worked in on a local from Central. 

Perhaps he was responsible for the Newton Heath Royal Scot (46139) I saw at Gourock in 1962, after it had worked in on a local from Central. 

Probably before his time, but definitely the sort of thing he delighted in doing !

• 4 weeks later...