Model Rail 250 (August 2018)

dibber25

This month's special topic is Backscenes. They can make or break your layout. We present ideas and advice from some experts and some who are less experienced but have still produced successful backgrounds to enhance their layout.

In Opening the Box, Chris Leigh examines a photograph and analyses the details. Historian Charles Insley talks about his passion for modelling narrow gauge lines. There's lots of news from Hattons and there's an invitation to shape two new Model Rail projects. In Access all Areas, we're asking you where you'd like us to take you, and what sort of layout you'd like us to build next. 

In Features, Tony Musgrave's homage to Brunel in the form of his N gauge layout featuring Clifton suspension bridge, is photographed by Chris Nevard.

Geoff Endacott explains how Bentley Model Railway Group has a remarkable Cambrian layout set in the blue diesel era. Morfa Mawr is 'EM' gauge.

Paul Lunn presents some Masterplans which overcome the problem of clumsy scenic breaks.

In Reviews, we've not one but two Southampton Docks shunters, with Dapol's 'B4' 0-4-0T and Heljan's '07' diesel shunter, both in 'OO', plus Accurascale's BR coal hoppers, Minerva's GWR gunpowder van and Golden Valley's rail-mounted Landrover.

In Workbench we look at aspects of layout presentation: George Dent builds a backscene 'box' and Chris Nevard considers layout lighting. Chris Leigh takes up his brushes to paint a backscene.

Chris Nevard makes a platform by recycling coffee stirrers.

Steven Kraus builds a diorama to display British 'O' gauge.

George Dent shows how to model holiday specials.

Chris Leigh builds the L-cut Laser footbridge so his passengers can finally get from the booking hall to the platforms.

post-1062-0-06057800-1530702512_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

My subs copy will be waiting for me when I get home,

can I just say Chris, as a reader from when it was a supplement in RAIL,

Congratulations to you and the team for reaching the 250th issue!

(that means I have 249 stacked in the garage!) :O 

My subs copy will be waiting for me when I get home,

can I just say Chris, as a reader from when it was a supplement in RAIL,

Congratulations to you and the team for reaching the 250th issue!

(that means I have 249 stacked in the garage!) :O 

Thank you! (I don't have any issues at home and I'm not sure we have all 249 in the office!)

Apart from the listing of whats inside, posting the cover of the new issue is invaluable as an identifier when looking on the shelves!

(When I'm browsing of a Thursday, it means I don't have to look for the issue date...)

My only complaint is you don't publish articles soon enough, I'd recently completed a "draw runner" fiddleyard when you published a "how to" article in 247, and this month there's one on building a wooden platform using what appears to be coffee stirrers....  :jester:  Nevermind!

Oh, and congrats on the 250th!

I haven't had a proper read yet but was glad to find a photograph of 6956 Mottram Hall as it's one that is on my list due to it being a Shrewsbury engine and one of the standard Halls that had a Hawksworth tender. I've even bought the plates awaiting a donor model.

It definitely had a Hawksworth tender in the early crest era and later in the 1960s.

Photo here of it in 1954. 

http://rcts.zenfolio.com/steam-gwr/hall-4-6-0/hA88B47D4#ha88b47d4

But then I found this photo of it with 84A plates. So at one point between 1954 and the 1960s it had a Collett 4000 gallon tender attached. I'm guessing somewhere between 1954 and 1958 when it moved from 84A to 84G.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/GWR-6956-MOTTRAM-HALL-Swindon-1950s-real-PHOTOMATIC-photograph-/362258493142

Thought it may be of interest. Every other photo I've found it has a Hawksworth tender.

Jason

• RMweb Gold

I haven't had a proper read yet but was glad to find a photograph of 6956 Mottram Hall as it's one that is on my list due to it being a Shrewsbury engine and one of the standard Halls that had a Hawksworth tender. I've even bought the plates awaiting a donor model.

It definitely had a Hawksworth tender in the early crest era and later in the 1960s.

Photo here of it in 1954. 

http://rcts.zenfolio.com/steam-gwr/hall-4-6-0/hA88B47D4#ha88b47d4

But then I found this photo of it with 84A plates. So at one point between 1954 and the 1960s it had a Collett 4000 gallon tender attached. I'm guessing somewhere between 1954 and 1958 when it moved from 84A to 84G.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/GWR-6956-MOTTRAM-HALL-Swindon-1950s-real-PHOTOMATIC-photograph-/362258493142

Thought it may be of interest. Every other photo I've found it has a Hawksworth tender.

Jason

As tenders were swapped at main works visits, and occasionally at sheds if there were any problems such as a leaking tank, the only way you can tell which tender certain classes of GWR 4-6-0 had at a particular date is from a reliably dated picture or from published records (which will only record changes made at works).

I’d just like to clarify Moria Mawr was designed and created by Trevor H of this parish and subsequently sold to Bentley MRG.

Morfa Mawr as built can be seen on Wibbles website at www.emguage70s.co.uk

It’s a lovely layout

As tenders were swapped at main works visits, and occasionally at sheds if there were any problems such as a leaking tank, the only way you can tell which tender certain classes of GWR 4-6-0 had at a particular date is from a reliably dated picture or from published records (which will only record changes made at works).

It's alright I haven't really done the research yet. I've just been looking for photos.

It was just that Chris mentioned the tender in the article and I was pointing out that at one point it had a Collett version. It's quite a well photographed example as I've found about thirty photographs of it, all apart from one with a Hawksworth. Maybe it was well photographed as it was one of the last survivors in service.

Jason

No matter how many times we proof-read something and no matter how many different people read it (usually read 3 times by 3 different people - so nine readings) typos will still slip through. I always said that the day I produced a perfect magazine or book, I would retire, as it is impossible to produce two in a lifetime! (CJL)

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

...which is pretty much what I said in the Model Rail article.

Geoff Endacott

Would have been nice to have the "traditional track plan and layout dimensions" or did I miss them somewhere, please?

Thanks,

Kevin

Would have been nice to have the "traditional track plan and layout dimensions" or did I miss them somewhere, please?

The pic bottom of page 71 gives a view of the entire layout from which it's possible to work out the overall size and, along with the other pics, get an idea of the track plan. I'm not sure what more a plan drawing would add but would mean one less photo to enjoy.

G

The pic bottom of page 71 gives a view of the entire layout from which it's possible to work out the overall size and, along with the other pics, get an idea of the track plan. I'm not sure what more a plan drawing would add but would mean one less photo to enjoy.

G

I understand that because there was an overall photo it was felt that a drawn plan wasn't necessary. (CJL)

I too missed, and would have liked, a dimensioned trackplan for Morfa Mawr (assuming there are no errors. Round up the usual double-slips!)

Photographs, even seagull shots, never quite tell the full story.

Thinking back to Roy Link's trackplans in the Railway Modeller they were works of art in their own right.

I think trackplans give a sense of completeness to an article, not having one is lazy journalism.

B..... good layout though, thanks to Bentley MRG for submitting it.

Ian.

Photographs, even seagull shots, never quite tell the full story.

Thinking back to Roy Link's trackplans in the Railway Modeller they were works of art in their own right.

I think trackplans give a sense of completeness to an article, not having one is lazy journalism.

Probably a bit harsh calling it lazy journalism, especially when Chris has explained the thought process and decision.

Personally I prefer to see an extra photo or two in the space a plan would be when there is an overview shot and it is easy to work out the track layout. Too many times I've seen inaccurate and incorrect plans in magazines (particularly Hornby mag) with unconnected bits of track, missing crossing and sidings and so on, that you can see are missing from the photos.

Photos often tell a more accurate story than a drawing.

G