Model Rail 250 (August 2018)

dibber25

I understand that because there was an overall photo it was felt that a drawn plan wasn't necessary. (CJL)

That may be a valid decision but it depends on the state of construction at the time the photograph was taken. Often there is still further work to be done which could be shown on a plan; likewise anything hidden behind backscenes or under scenery or higher level trackwork (e.g. fiddle and storage yards and reversing loops) cannot be seen in photographs, and often cannot be deduced.

Those articles that link photograph positions with positions on the layout plan, except for the simpler layouts, combine the best of both worlds and allow the accompanying photographs to close in specific details.

That may be a valid decision but it depends on the state of construction at the time the photograph was taken. Often there is still further work to be done which could be shown on a plan; likewise anything hidden behind backscenes or under scenery or higher level trackwork (e.g. fiddle and storage yards and reversing loops) cannot be seen in photographs, and often cannot be deduced.

Those articles that link photograph positions with positions on the layout plan, except for the simpler layouts, combine the best of both worlds and allow the accompanying photographs to close in specific details.

It is a very simple layout and was photographed in a finished state. (CJL)

My subs copy will be waiting for me when I get home,

can I just say Chris, as a reader from when it was a supplement in RAIL,

Congratulations to you and the team for reaching the 250th issue!

(that means I have 249 stacked in the garage!) :O

Wow! Fantastic achievement. I remember MR from the earliest days. Gosh that makes me feel old mind...

Enjoyed catching up with this issue today. Although I too was disappointed with the lack of aforementioned trackplan. Minor quibble though

Model Rail remains my favourite of the big 4 magazines at its best. Still offers the best balance of model and prototype articles. I always feel I have learned something new after reading!

Keep up the good work!!

Edited by south_tyne
  • Like 2

• 4 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

I've just caught up with the August issue which is of great interest to me because of Chris's article on the backscene for his Staines West model. I've lived nearby all my life and right from an early age, I've been visiting the station, er, "unofficially". Despite not really being a GWR fan, I regard Staines West as "my" branch line. My first exploration must have been shortly after the fuel depot opened. There was a grounded toad and the water tower was present but the goods yard had been lifted. I walked round from Staines Town Hall, where the Egham & Staines MRS exhibition was taking place and the show guide recommended taking a look.

On a later trip, myself and a few friends walked the line from Staines to Colnbrook and back, on an autumnal Saturday afternoon.  We got a warning toot from a 37, which was on its way back from dropping off some fuel tankers. 

I very nearly bought half of the Stationmasters house at Colnbrook as my first property (it was on sale for £27500, as I recall) but it was already under offer. "Mr. 1%" was the selling agent, Chris might recall him...

I can confirm the Avro York as being 100% accurate, having personally seen one departing LHR in the mid-1960s. We were at a local cub & scout sports day at the Staines Lino ground and heard an unusual aircraft noise, very different from the usual scream of jets and  whine of turbo-props. Above us was an Avro York and our scoutmaster commented that it had been some time since he'd seen one of those. The exact date is lost in the mists of time but it would have been around 1965 or 1966.  Almost certainly a cargo flight. Incidentally, we still had piston-engined cargo flights until the mid-80s at LHR. There was a regular early morning DC-7 flight, leaving at around 07:00.

Mark

• Like 2

The panel at the bottom of p7 reads - '5 skills you can master in this issue.... Weather a steam engine p58 ....'. George Dent's article covers detailing a Black 5 but no mention of weathering. Has part of the article been missed? It's a shame because that loco looks superb - really capturing the end of steam look without going overboard.

(oops - wrong issue! Should be 251)

Edited by walrus

• RMweb Gold

On p.77 it shows the PHD bufferstop kit, one of which I bought a few weeks back. Any clues as to how to solder it together without it all the parts in close proximity coming loose as the solder melts? Clearly I'm doing something wrong. Perhaps George can do a dummies guide to a fine detailed but small etched kit like this?

• 2 weeks later...

On p.77 it shows the PHD bufferstop kit, one of which I bought a few weeks back. Any clues as to how to solder it together without it all the parts in close proximity coming loose as the solder melts? Clearly I'm doing something wrong. Perhaps George can do a dummies guide to a fine detailed but small etched kit like this?

That's why I use glue.

Geoff Endacott

• Like 1

Bulldog clips strategically placed as heat sinks, plenty of flux, a 40w iron (not 25w), and very quickly in and out;  Dave Franks does his buffers in white metal, and that's what I used to assist soldering mine