The National Festival of Railway Modelling - 8&9 December 2018

BRMExhibitions

We are excited that The National Festival of Railway Modelling will return for its 11th show over the weekend of 8th & 9th December 2018! This event continues to be a must for all railway modellers and a great day out for all the family. Come and meet the BRM team and discuss your projects with them.

Thousands of visitors will make their way to the East of England Arena & Events Centre in Peterborough to see 30 hand-picked layouts from a variety of major scales and gauges from UK and abroad plus over 100 quality traders, clubs & societies and 'How to' demonstrations on many aspects of the hobby.

A FREE shuttle bus service will run approximately every 30 minutes on Saturday and Sunday between Peterborough Railway station and the venue. The first bus from the Railway station will be 8.30am and the last bus from the venue will be 5.15pm each day. If you're driving, the venue offers FREE parking, for Sat Nav please use PE2 6HE. 

Advance ticket booking is openBOOK NOW to SAVE on admission, have 30 minutes early entry into the show, receive a free show guide on arrival and have a chance of winning a FREE subscription to either BRM, Garden Rail, Narrow Gauge World, Traction or Engineering in Miniature.

WHEN?

Day 1: 8/12/18
Opening times Day 1: 10.00am - 5.00pm (pre-booked ticket holders 9:30am)

Day 2: 9/12/18

Opening times Day 2: 10.00am – 4.30pm (pre-booked ticket holders 9:30am)

ADVANCE TICKET PRICES
Adult BRM Subscriber - £8.00
Adult - £9.00

Child - £5.00

Family (2 adults, 3 children) £30
Advance tickets are off sale 12 noon on 7th December 2018

Group bookings discount - 10 tickets and over – price is £8 each ticket.

TICKET PRICES ON THE DOOR
Adult - £10.00

Visit the website for information on layouts and exhibitors and booking  www.model-railway-shows.co.uk

The show is kindly supported by Market Deeping Model Railway Club and Nene Valley Railway

post-15960-0-90806900-1530787815_thumb.jpg

Edited by BRMExhibitions
  • Like 1

Layouts

Ashbrooke - Midland Railway OO
Ashurst Brickworks Light Railway 009
Binns Road Hornby Dublo 3 Rail OO
Boscawen Junction N
Bournemouth West OO

Bradfield Gloucester Square 00FS
800 Bradfield.jpg

Brewery Pit OO
Broom Junction EM
800-Broom_Junction.jpg

Buxton N
Byway MPD OO
Campbells Quarry 32mm
Caroline Concrete Works O-16.5
Chapel Rise OO
Dentdale N
800-Dentdale.jpg

Dock Green BR(E) O
Eisengebrau HO
Faringdon P4
Feature_8_sky1.jpg

Franwood TMD OO
Habbaniya, Iraq 1941 7mm NG and 009
Hampton End G
Hope-under-Dinmore EM
Feature13.jpg

Kensington Addison Road O
Addison Road 09.jpg

Launceston Steam Railway 009

Lomond Street OO
Feature_2.jpg

Roxby Town N
The Bridge at Remagen N

Trewithick EM
Wurst HO-HOm
Wyken Yard O

Additional information

ADMISSION
Adult £10.00 
Child (5-16yrs) £5.00
Family £30.00

BUS SERVICE 
A FREE shuttle bus service will be running approximately every 30 minutes on Saturday and Sunday between Peterborough Railway station and the venue. First bus from the Railway station will be 8.30am and the last bus from the venue will be 5.15pm each day.

CASH POINT 
Cash machines are available. The service is provided by the venue and may charge for withdrawals.

CATERING 
The Cambridge Suite will be serving food and drink and there will also be a variety of food outlets situated within the Exhibition area.

CHILDRENS AREA
The show will stage a children's area, open to children aged 5-16 years. There will be a Colouring Activity, Word Search, & Name the Layout competition with Market Deeping Model Railway Club.

CHILDRENS STEP STOOLS 
Children can get a better view of the layouts by hiring a child's stool step for a returnable deposit of just £3. Visit the Information Point in the main entrance to hire a step stool (subject to availability).

CLOAKROOM 
Unfortunately there are no cloakroom facilities at this venue.

DISABLED ACCESS
There is full disabled access around the venue with the exhibition area all being situated on ground level.

DISABLED TICKET POLICY
If a visitor has a full-time carer or attendant, a free ticket is available for them. This concession is only available in advance, with supporting documentation to the Organisers.  Please send to: Exhibitions Department, Warners Group Publciations, West Street, Bourne, Lincolnshire, PE10 9PH or email exhibit@warnersgroup.co.uk. All documents must be received at least 7 days prior to the show.  The free ticket will then be issued at the day visitor entrance point when a full price ticket is purchased.

DOGS
No dogs are permitted apart from official guide/assistance dogs.

FIRST AID
If you require first aid, please contact one of the Organisers at the main entrance or security staff.

HOTELS

East of England Arena and Events Centre have negotiated a 10% discount on your room booking if you book directly with one of their recommended accommodation partners.

HOW TO FIND US 
For extensive directions to the venue, please click here. For Sat Nav please use PE2 6HE

From September 2017, rail passengers can benefit from The East of England Arena's partnership with Virgin Trains to enjoy up to 30 per cent off their advance purchase of rail tickets to Peterborough.

Real-time traffic information for England’s motorways and major A roads is available from www.highways.gov.uk/traffic-information

INFORMATION POINT 
For general information or assistance regarding the show, please make your way to the Information Point next to the main entrance.

OPENING TIMES 
Saturday 10.00am-5.00pm
Sunday 10.00am-4.00pm
Doors open at 9.30am for pre-booked ticket holders

SHOWGUIDE
A showguide will be on sale on arrival at £1 per copy. It will contain a show plan, list of traders, exhibitors and information on layouts and demos. All pre-booked visitors will be given a free copy on arrival.

Edited by Andy Y
Loftus Road listed in error
  • Like 1

Hmm, very close to the Warley NEC show this year. The Warley show is the usual timeslit which is the 24th & 25th November this year . Can’t help but wonder whether Warner’s PLC are deliberately trying to hit the attendance to the Warley Model Railway Club organised show. David versus Goliath when you consider Warner’s resources. I have to be open about this and state that I am a member of Warley club.

Hmm, very close to the Warley NEC show this year. The Warley show is the usual timeslit which is the 24th & 25th November this year . Can’t help but wonder whether Warner’s PLC are deliberately trying to hit the attendance to the Warley Model Railway Club organised show. David versus Goliath when you consider Warner’s resources. I have to be open about this and state that I am a member of Warley club.

We needed to move the event from its normal weekend due to other events at the venue. A small movement either way would have caused significant clashes with either Hornby Mag's show in Milton Keynes of Spalding show, neither of which we would wish to do. The calendar is very busy during the autumn anyway but the dates of 8th/9th December do not have any significant clashes with a few small open days and a show in Highbridge, Somerset so I think we've done fairly well to minimise potential conflicts. It is a fortnight after Warley and there's certainly no intention to influence attendance of one above another (but you make the direct inference that we are) and a week after Manchester on 1st and 2nd. The trade have largely supported the move as I recall years of yore when Wigan was around this time which was always a great event, most people will have had another payday since Warley, more new releases happen pre-Christmas and it's a good chance for modellers to get one more show in before Christmas to stock up on supplies. It's also a chance to bring a bit of seasonal and festive touch to an event too! The David and Goliath accusation is a bit daft in terms of attendance as Warley is significantly busier than any other show so which is which?

I'd doubt there could many people saying "I won't go to Warley this year because I can go to Peterborough a fortnight later".

• Like 1

Do you intend this show to revert to its normal dates next year, as last year's coincided with an event at Nene Valley and I managed to do them both on the same day; a very good day out for someone travelling a bit further than usually considered for exhibitions.

• Like 1

Do you intend this show to revert to its normal dates next year, as last year's coincided with an event at Nene Valley and I managed to do them both on the same day; a very good day out for someone travelling a bit further than usually considered for exhibitions.

Too early to say to be honest as we need to see what Santa brings this year. I like Peterborough show (Sam hates me telling layout owners that when she's trying to persuade them to come to Doncaster), the venue, the parking, the facilities, the space, the lighting, the transport links and so on plus it's supported well by families and youngsters which is refreshing. It looks like Sam's doing very well on buildings the quality standards too and hopefully we can build on the positive feedback we've been getting about Ally Pally and Doncaster over the last couple of years.

• RMweb Gold

Being the selfish type I would prefer for the Show to be kept in December, I do the aforementioned shows at MK, Spalding, NEC. My next trips after Peterborough will be to Stevenage, then Longfield (Erith), then Doncaster. All nicely spaced out, moneywise and more importantly suits SWMBO, who believes I just go to these Exhibitions so as not to go shopping with her – as if I would!

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Thanks for the kind comments from yourself and Phil when discussing B'm'th West on your preview piece Andy, it would appear to be the usual high standard we

have come to expect when looking at the list of those invited.

Thought it best to clarify that the exciting new synchronised sound/smoke effect featured will not be fitted to the whole loco stud performing - probably only 2 or 3

locos will be fitted as such -  as you know the system is still on trial and under development with the " brainbox " involved.

Roger is threatening to dust off his Santa suit, best to warn you all methinks.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

I like Peterborough show (Sam hates me telling layout owners that when she's trying to persuade them to come to Doncaster), the venue, the parking, the facilities, the space, the lighting, the transport links and so on plus it's supported well by families and youngsters which is refreshing. It looks like Sam's doing very well on buildings the quality standards too and hopefully we can build on the positive feedback we've been getting about Ally Pally and Doncaster over the last couple of years.

Me too Andy, as an exhibitor it can't be faulted. The (almost) on site Holiday Inn is excellent, especially for an Express and makes for a more leisurely Sunday morning. Only beaten by the Ricoh Arena in this respect. 

Sadly as I have nothing new to offer Sam I am resigned to attending BRM shows as a punter so Doncaster is the obvious option for me these days ....

• RMweb Gold

Probably won't be going this year. The one problem with the show last yea, for me, was the free bus from the venue back to the station; had to wait over 40 minutes on the Sunday for a half-hour service, nowhere to sit where you can see the bus arrive, and no shelter either—not too bad on a sunny day in October, but in December when it'll be dark and either cold or dark—no way!

What's needed is some seating under cover where you can see the bus arrive, and a timetable that the bus keeps to. Shouldn't be too tricky, especially on the Sunday...

• 4 weeks later...

No contest between Warley and Peterborough for me as I live one and a half hour's drive East of Peterborough. Haven't been to Warley show since moving to East Anglia, it's just too far away now sadly.

Looks a superb line up of layouts this year so looking forward to the show although not the drive home on the A47 in the dark.

I have just had a puzzling experience booking my advance ticket.  On the postcard which reminded me that I should do so there is no reference that I can find to the Ticket Factory website.  That suits me fine given the grief that I have experienced over the years.  I used the 0844 number printed on the postcard, keenly anticipating the chance of a conversation with a real human being.  While I was on hold, being fed plinkety-plonk music, a dreary female voice kept apologising for the delay and telling me that tickets could be booked via ticketfactory.com.   When a real human finally came on the line he seemed to be having trouble with the system.  In particular, try as he may, he could not make it recognise my subscriber number, with or without the P18 prefix.  Eventually he admitted defeat and a colleague called me back a nominal 10 minutes later.  She did the necessary and I now have my ticket.  I never thought I would say this here but I felt a twinge of nostalgia for ticketfactory.com and all its vicissitudes.

Chris 

EDIT - when I got my phone bill I found that the cost of the call had wiped out my subscriber discount.  Merry Christmas ...

Edited by chrisf