• RMweb Gold
post-7114-0-46359500-1530794492_thumb.jpg

Today is the dawn of a new era for us here at Accurascale, as we announce our entrance into the O gauge British outline model railway market with the release of the 24.5 Ton HOP24 / HUO hopper wagon in factory finished, ready to run format.

A total of 5,263 of these wagons were built by British Railways from 1954 for transporting coal and coke throughout Britain until their withdrawal in the mid-1980s.

The model is of the 3121 (1958), 3221 (1959), 3314 (1960), 3374 (1961), 3426 (1962 - listed 1/154 pattern but the design is actually identical), and 3437 (1962) pattern. The surviving prototypes were surveyed by us at the Tanfield Railway, near Stanley, County Durham in mid-October 2017.

post-7114-0-57305700-1530794518_thumb.jpg

As many of you already know, our first model for the British market was the highly acclaimed HOP24 / HUO in 4mm scale (just check out the latest Rail Express, Model Rail and indeed the feedback from happy campers on the RMWeb thread!) Following the announcement of this model, there were many calls from 7mm outline modellers for an O gauge equivalent. We have responded to this request by designing a 7mm model based on drawings and measurements taken last October.

CAD work started from scratch and is now complete, with additional detailing packed into the design. The O gauge wagon will feature 104 separate parts, including compensated axles and die-cast chassis.

A range of eight different wagons will be produced, each featuring different running numbers and lettering, all taken from prototype photos and painstaking research. There will be four wagons in pre-1973 condition suitable for 1958 – 1973 operation, and four TOPS variants which will be at home on 1973 – 1986 based layouts.

post-7114-0-59819300-1530794544_thumb.jpg

The impressive specification of these wagons includes:

• Completely new CAD
  • Die-cast chassis providing weight for reliable running
  • Compensated axle boxes
  • Instanter coupling chain with sprung coupling hook
  • Fine profile wheels and axles with brass bearing pockets
  • Metal sprung buffers
  • Extra fine factory-fitted detail plastic and metal parts
  • Individual lettering and codes from real wagons for authenticity

Each wagon is sold separately for £49.95, with two bundle deals on offer. Buy any four pre-TOPS or TOPS variants together for £180, or all eight running numbers for £350. Free shipping is available on all orders over £100 from our site to the UK and Ireland. How about that for amazing value? 

Delivery is slated for December 2018.

(And before our N gauge friends crucify us by saying "We called for them too! We're looking into it, I promise!) 

Cheers,

Fran

• Like 15

• RMweb Gold

That is cracking value by comparison with other 7mm rtr wagons. Perhaps a large order on its way from Heaton Lodge, although I note someone was preparing CAD for a 3D print commission.

Edited by Joseph_Pestell

• RMweb Gold

That is cracking value by comparison with other 7mm rtr wagons. Perhaps a large order on its way from Heaton Lodge, although I note someone was preparing CAD for a 3D print commission.

Hi Joseph,

Thanks for that, if you go for the 8 wagon rake bundle it works out at  £43.75 per wagon. We simply cannot do them cheaper!

We were unaware of a 3D print commission. 

Cheers,

Fran

That sounds like a fabulous spec for the price.  Having the 4mm version of these I know this version will be brilliant.

Luckily the fact that another company can't make an affordable diesel loco that actually look right is protecting my bank balance from being dragged into the o gauge spending abyss.

Whatever you fellas do, do not make a class 25 or class 40 to pull a train of these that looks correct in o gauge! (or my beloved missus will take the garden shears to my privates!)

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Hi Fran, 

Will you be having any samples at the Belfast show in August?

Regards,  John

Hi John,

We wont be at this show I'm afraid, we didnt get an invite! I'm not sure we'd have a sample by then anyway, but we will have one for the 3 day Dublin show if that helps?

Cheers,

Fran

Definitely going to have 2 or 3 if these. Have you looked at the 21T hopper guys in 4 and 7mm? The recent Hornby effort is ok but only about 70% there for an LNER built version. If you do LNER dia 100 both rivetted and welded, and the 4 BR diagrams (1/141,1/143,1/145 and 1/146) you are looking at a prototype that ran in tens of thousands. In 4mm (EM) I would be up for about 90-100, seriously...

Mike

• RMweb Gold

Definitely going to have 2 or 3 if these. Have you looked at the 21T hopper guys in 4 and 7mm? The recent Hornby effort is ok but only about 70% there for an LNER built version. If you do LNER dia 100 both rivetted and welded, and the 4 BR diagrams (1/141,1/143,1/145 and 1/146) you are looking at a prototype that ran in tens of thousands. In 4mm (EM) I would be up for about 90-100, seriously...

Mike

Fancy commissioning us, Mike? :)

All future 7mm models from us hinge on how popular this one is tbh, so we will make a call on it dependent on how these sell.

As for 21 ton hoppers, you never know... 

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Fancy commissioning us, Mike? :)

All future 7mm models from us hinge on how popular this one is tbh, so we will make a call on it dependent on how these sell.

As for 21 ton hoppers, you never know... 

Diagram 1/146 please (with BR pattern handbrake lever) preferably with plain bearings not roller bearings.  

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

Well that is pretty amazing  a great leap and keep the Dapol 08 amused for hours on many O micros..

The thought of an N/ 2mm scale model - designed for easy 9.42 mm FS conversion will make many happy and  given the OO version credentials would be a great model to do, up in the Revolution models scope.

Hopefully these diversions mean the clAssic irish traction project moves ever nearer !!

• RMweb Gold

Well that is pretty amazing  a great leap and keep the Dapol 08 amused for hours on many O micros..

The thought of an N/ 2mm scale model - designed for easy 9.42 mm FS conversion will make many happy and  given the OO version credentials would be a great model to do, up in the Revolution models scope.

Hopefully these diversions mean the clAssic irish traction project moves ever nearer !!

I had the pleasure of having a Revolution B tanker in my hand at the Glasgow show Robert, an exquisite model and one that has to be a benchmark in N in my mind. It's amazing the detail the lads packed in and a HUO to that standard would make a damn fine model I agree, but that's a conversation for another day.

Yep, this is perfect for those O micros. There is an excellent article in the current issue of Rail Express modeller by Trevor Mann on the prototypes including internal NCB use, so plenty of scope for small shunting layouts as well as larger operations and a nice bit of variety. 

Cheers,

Fran

Edited by 071

• 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Hi everyone,

Just a quick update on this model, it has now progressed to tooling. It's looking like we may have this in your hands BEFORE our original estimated date of December, but we don't want to get ahead of ourselves just yet. 

As we said previously, if this goes well there will be more 7mm models from us in the future. The best way to support it is with orders! 

Cheers,

Fran

• Like 2

Guest curassier

Hi everyone,

Just a quick update on this model, it has now progressed to tooling. It's looking like we may have this in your hands BEFORE our original estimated date of December, but we don't want to get ahead of ourselves just yet. 

As we said previously, if this goes well there will be more 7mm models from us in the future. The best way to support it is with orders! 

Cheers,

Fran

Fantastic news. Your move into 7mm is very welcome and I will be buying a box just to try to ensure you keep going in this scale. With so many locomotives now available it is high time somebody did rolling stock with a high level of detail in 7mm. All the best

JM

• RMweb Gold

Fantastic news. Your move into 7mm is very welcome and I will be buying a box just to try to ensure you keep going in this scale. With so many locomotives now available it is high time somebody did rolling stock with a high level of detail in 7mm. All the best

JM

Thanks very much for the support, we really hope it’s the first of many 7mm models from Accurascale!

Cheers,

Fran

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Not sure if i can justify having any as I don't think they ever worked down as far as my part of the world, although having seen the 4mm one I think I may invoke rule one for at least one! - and I also echo the comments about 21t hoppers.

But can I ask will you making the buffers available separately as you do in 4mm?

I hope so and if you do I would take at least 10 sets of oleo Buffers.