LMS period III carriage roofs.

Is there any logic to the panel sizes on period III LMS roofs?

I have Jenkinson's Historic Carriage Drawings Volume 2 which shows some such roofs. I was expecting even spacing, but that seems not to be so. One drawing for, I think, D1921 seems to show alignment of panel joining ribs with edges of door frames - which is useful as it fits in with one I'm making for a push-pull set, but I can't see how to divide up the roof on the D1856 driving trailer.

Looking at other period III carriages in the book I can't work out any general logic and am having trouble working out how to line up the panels at the brake end.

It might be useful to know what vents were actually fitted to coach roofs in LMS Period III (shell or torpedo?) , and how far they were replaced on vehicles in BR days - and when. 

This seems to be something of a minefield, and I've a nasty feeling I may have stepped on a landmine when detailing a Dapol Stanier composite

It might be useful to know what vents were actually fitted to coach roofs in LMS Period III (shell or torpedo?) , and how far they were replaced on vehicles in BR days - and when. 

This seems to be something of a minefield, and I've a nasty feeling I may have stepped on a landmine when detailing a Dapol Stanier composite

Certainly for the non corridor stock, the period III stock might have torpedo vents and a slightly simplified version of full lining (typically 1933-ish builds), shell vents and Stanier styling, or very late (post war) builds might have newer style torpedo vents.The Dapol non corridor coaches are period II, 1930 builds (lots 529,530) and would have torpedo vents when new. I haven't looked at the Dapol corridor coaches in any detail but generally Jenkinson and Essery indicate again that period III corridor coaches may have one of 3 vent styles depending on the build date.

I don't know what BR would have done when renewing or repairing carriages.

It depends which works renewed them, and when :-)

As for the roofs, the carriages were jig built from standardised sections, I suspect the different roof panel widths are to fit the bodyside sections below them, the exact layout of which would vary from diagram to diagram. At some point someone will have decided that having several different widths of steel sheet for the roof was more efficient than having several different potential positions on each bodyside section for the roof rib bolt holes.

Certainly for the non corridor stock, the period III stock might have torpedo vents and a slightly simplified version of full lining (typically 1933-ish builds), shell vents and Stanier styling, or very late (post war) builds might have newer style torpedo vents.The Dapol non corridor coaches are period II, 1930 builds (lots 529,530) and would have torpedo vents when new. I haven't looked at the Dapol corridor coaches in any detail but generally Jenkinson and Essery indicate again that period III corridor coaches may have one of 3 vent styles depending on the build date.

I put torpedo vents on a Dapol Stanier corridor composite in BR "blood and custard" - and then got a terrible sick feeling I'd done the wrong thing..... Photos of Period III roofs good enough to show the ventilators in carmine/cream or earlier are very difficult to find

I'm reasonably confident the Portholes had torpedo vents , and I put whitemetal torpedo vents on a Dapol Period II non-corridor brake, but the composite is another matter. Sounds like I might just have got away with it, though

Just to throw a cat among the pigeons, plate 25 of Jenkinson and Essery's LMS Coaches - an illustrated history has an example of a post war D2117 corridor composite - number M4847M photographed in 1962, with a mixture of shell and torpedo vents on its roof.

As far as I can tell, all the pictures of porthole carriages in J&E have late style torpedo vents.

Edited by sharris
  • Like 1

I will post a warning if people look at the SVR's Period 3 roofs. Some of them have weld lines about 12-18 inches up from the gutter line. This is where to roof has been cut to allow repairs to the top stringer and corner posts. Although there are BR era repairs in the same style on a couple of our coaches.