31 replies to this topic

#26 The Bigbee Line

The Bigbee Line

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 2,105 posts
  • LocationWatton

Posted 14 July 2018 - 23:50

I was obviously not thinking when  I laid the track.  To get the coal stage in I had quite a curve on the run round road.  Then looking at prototype picture, the coal stage is between the run round and the goods siding...Dooooh...

So here's a rough version of how it should look....

IMG_8336.JPG

Much better...

Edited by The Bigbee Line, 14 July 2018 - 23:56 .

• Like x 1

#27 GRASinBothell

GRASinBothell

Registered Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 20 posts

Posted 15 July 2018 - 01:46

I think you're going to get a chance to model more than one kind of platform surface - tarmac near the station building, changing to gravel further out...

Gordon

#28 The Bigbee Line

The Bigbee Line

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 2,105 posts
  • LocationWatton

Posted 15 July 2018 - 07:28

The track gang started early today.  I set the rails at 42mm between the Platform Road and the Run Round Road, a handy 18mm piece of wood fitted between the sleeper ends as a gauge.  It looks much better now re-laid..

IMG_8337.JPG

Looking along the 2 parallel tracks the subtle curve at this end is visible.  Hopefully it will give the track layout a slightly more interesting look and at the same time not give any coupling problems (I'm going to have Kadees between coaches).

IMG_8341.JPG

Using some ply sleepers I had on stock, I roughed out a representation of the coal stage,  It looks the part.  Just need to check out the various pictures that show the framing and get a better idea of its dimensions.

IMG_8344.JPG

IMG_8346.JPG

Need to do a bit more before it becomes too hot.

• Like x 1

#29 The Bigbee Line

The Bigbee Line

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 2,105 posts
  • LocationWatton

Posted 15 July 2018 - 08:30

There is a useful picture on Wikipedia, looking from the 'stops' end of the station.  It shows the coal stage and the alignment of the tracks towards the stops.  I need to try and emulate the arrangement.

If interest is that the siding appears to have an end loading dock.  I need to check with other pictures.

An assumption is that the release road for the run round just had sufficient length for one Terrier.......

https://upload.wikim...way_station.jpg

hayling station building wikipedia old.jpg

By Anonymous (Old postcard) [Public domain], via Wikimedia Commons

• Like x 1

#30 Nearholmer

Nearholmer

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 6,482 posts
  • LocationBirlstone

Posted 15 July 2018 - 08:58

Have you explored the ‘Hayling Billy’ website, compiled by locals and absolutely stuffed with useful/interesting info? http://haylingbillyh...lway-history-2/
  • Thanks x 1

#31 The Bigbee Line

The Bigbee Line

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 2,105 posts
  • LocationWatton

Posted 15 July 2018 - 09:51

Have you explored the ‘Hayling Billy’ website, compiled by locals and absolutely stuffed with useful/interesting info? http://haylingbillyh...lway-history-2/

Kevin,

Yes thanks.  It has some good stuff.  You need to explore the links as they do not always pop up when using Mr Google...

Any hints appreciated.

#32 The Bigbee Line

The Bigbee Line

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 2,105 posts
  • LocationWatton

Posted 15 July 2018 - 09:57

I've moved the coal stage further from the baseboard joint.  Then curving the siding on either side.  I think it looks much better...

IMG_8348.jpg

The release road was also tried with some Peco Buffer Stops and a Terrier.  Comments please.

IMG_8352.jpg

IMG_8350.jpg

Edited by The Bigbee Line, 15 July 2018 - 17:26 .

• Like x 2

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: 7mm, southern region, terriers, branch line, o gauge