Sunday Opening

ianmacc

Just looking for somewhere to get basic supplies and I found out that two model shops quite near me are open on a Sunday. Given this is probably the day folks most likely get to do any modelling I found this very useful.

Panda Models in Doncaster and Barnsley Models and Games in...well.... I will let you guess.

Any others folks want to share?

• 1 month later...

A quick search reveals Salisbury Model Centre is open on Sundays, albeit only for a few hours. I popped in there for some lubricant on a very drizzly Saturday back in April, and was surprised to see it busy, especially after what had recently happened elsewhere in the city.

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Premium

JDM Models and DCC Concepts are both open on Sundays in Settle, North Yorks.

Worth checking JDM website to confirm his hours and he does close on 3-4 Sundays through the year for exhibitions/holidays.

Cheers,

Mick

• RMweb Premium

Gaugemaster at Ford are open for five hours on Sundays, somewhat unusually between 10.30 and 3.30 when many shops opt for 10 - 4 or 11 - 5 taking advantage of the maximum permissible Sunday trading hours.  If travelling by train do check the engineering works program first!  

The only problem with model shops opening on a Sunday, is that it begs the question, when does the owner get a day off, especially with the smaller shops?  I'm sure the likes of Hattons can arrange a fair rota, but I doubt that is the case for most of the smaller retaillers mentioned here.  I doubt there is ever any chance of getting Saturday off either, so when do they get their family time?  If their nearest and dearest work 'regular' hours, it means not having time off together.

Railway modelling is not an essential service (despite what some might think :jester: ) ... perhaps we should plan ahead and exercise a little patience instead?

I'm not meaning to be provocative btw, just trying to have some consideration for those in retail.  I have to work every Sunday and it does make managing family time difficult, especially on those weekends when I have to work Saturday as well.

• Like 3
  • Friendly/supportive 1

The only problem with model shops opening on a Sunday, is that it begs the question, when does the owner get a day off, especially with the smaller shops?  I'm sure the likes of Hattons can arrange a fair rota, but I doubt that is the case for most of the smaller retaillers mentioned here.  I doubt there is ever any chance of getting Saturday off either, so when do they get their family time?  If their nearest and dearest work 'regular' hours, it means not having time off together.

Railway modelling is not an essential service (despite what some might think :jester: ) ... perhaps we should plan ahead and exercise a little patience instead?

I'm not meaning to be provocative btw, just trying to have some consideration for those in retail.  I have to work every Sunday and it does make managing family time difficult, especially on those weekends when I have to work Saturday as well.

As we are a family run business, we tried working Sunday's and it was not a success. As you rightly point out, we never have a Saturday off and Sunday opening did screw up quality family time. Having four dogs also means our pooches expect something different on Sunday as well :sungum:

• Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium

Hi everyone,

The only Model shop I can think of that opens on a Sunday is Harburn Hobbies, but only on the run up to Christmas and New Year; I'm sure Wonderland have done something similar in the past.  Trading laws are different in Scotland so being closed may be for family and leisure time as others have suggested.

Regards,

Alex.

It depends on the location. If you are somewhere which has a lot of passing trade on a Sunday then it's much more sensible being open on a Sunday than possibly a Tuesday or Wednesday.

But if you work in retail and don't expect to work weekends or evenings then you are in the wrong career. I had a lad who was on a government "work programme" who wanted to work in retail, but he refused to come in on Saturdays. Bye. You aren't getting a job in retail if you won't work weekends. Harsh but true.

Before anyone complains about using "work programmes", that is how I started there and got kept on. They sometimes do work. I think they've stopped them now though.

Jason

As we are a family run business, we tried working Sunday's and it was not a success. As you rightly point out, we never have a Saturday off and Sunday opening did screw up quality family time. Having four dogs also means our pooches expect something different on Sunday as well :sungum:

No offence. But I think Widnes is the last place I would want to be on a Sunday as well.  :blum:

Jason