Decoder Pro & Sprog

HLT 0109

I have been in internet conversation on JMRI User Group about a loco decoder that cannot be read by Decoder Pro via my NCE Power Cab and I am wondering if there would be any merit or advantage in acquiring a SPROG II.

The loco in question is a Bachmann 00 gauge Class 08 shunter bought as a gift by my sons in December 2008 when I first became interested in creating a layout.  It was bought as DCC ready and fitted by the supplier with a 4-function decoder.  I have been using JMRI since version 4.6 and the loco has been in the roster since that time so it must have been read initially.  I believe that, when I first created the loco in Decoder Pro, I assumed the decoder to be a Bachmann one and selected that from the options identified.  I have never had a problem running the loco with JMRI or the Power Cab but the decoder is basic so the only adjustments available have been to the address and the rates of acceleration/deceleration.

In due course i upgraded JMRI to version 4.10 and recently to 4.11.3. and subsequently discovered that my roster was corrupted - ie all locos showed the default address of 3!  I can't be sure that the upgrade was the cause as I was doing other things as well - including upgrading my SB3a to SB5 specification with a version 1.65B chip. .  However, being unsure whether there were other corruptions (and being unaware at the time of the Roster Rebuild facility) I decider to re-read the decoders of all my locos into Decoder Pro from the programming track as they were all running well.  I managed it with all locos except the Class 08. Decoder Pro delivers the message "No locomotive detected".  Turning off the computer, I tried reading the decoder with Power Cab - every attempt produced the message "Cannot read CV".  I took the loco to my local MR club and someone ran it on their test track using a Gaugemaster controller and managed to read CV8 as value 13.  This seems to be "Public Domain & DIY decoders".  As far as I know, the loco was obtained from one of the major Uk suppliers and I can't believe they would have used a non-descript decoder so I am wondering if the information is in fact correct.  Currently, Decoder Pro shows CV8 value as 255, but it also shows a complete set of speed steps which I are not recognissed by the loco.

So, back to my question - would obtaining a SPROG  II be worthwhile?

Sorry for the long story.

Harold.

I thought it might be a Hornby decoder as well.

I have one here in a GWR Pannier which came DCC fitted a few years ago.

I can write to it but can't read it using an NCE Power Cab.

Tony.

• RMweb Premium

If two different systems won’t read the decoder there’s no reason for a SPROG to be any different. Sounds like the decoder is the issue, and given the age of it the Hornby one seems likely.

If two different systems won’t read the decoder there’s no reason for a SPROG to be any different. Sounds like the decoder is the issue, and given the age of it the Hornby one seems likely.

At the risk of losing a sale :) I would agree.

Andrew Crosland

SPROG DCC

• Like 1