7 replies to this topic

#1 Sug@rP@lm

Sug@rP@lm

Registered Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 11 July 2018 - 13:45

Is it possible to add capacitors to a Loksound 4XL? I know that the manual informs us that it is 'neither desirable nor necessary', but as it happens, I do need to add capacitors.  Zimo 699 have a connection, but not the Loksound.  I realise that it would invalidate warranty etc etc, but I'm happy to solder to pads if there is a way. 

Bill

#2 locoman57

locoman57

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 147 posts

Posted 11 July 2018 - 14:25

Just connect capacitor, resistor and diode (as shown in the ESU manual for smaller decoders) to GND and U+.

Resistor should be 100 ohms / 3 watts or more.

Saluti

Locoman

#3 norman

norman

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 166 posts
  • LocationSunny Weston Super Mare

Posted 11 July 2018 - 19:01

Is it possible to add capacitors to a Loksound 4XL? I know that the manual informs us that it is 'neither desirable nor necessary', but as it happens, I do need to add capacitors.  Zimo 699 have a connection, but not the Loksound.  I realise that it would invalidate warranty etc etc, but I'm happy to solder to pads if there is a way. 

Bill

The 4XL already comes with capacitors installed and they are more than adequate.

Norman

#4 Sug@rP@lm

Sug@rP@lm

Registered Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 11 July 2018 - 21:42

Just connect capacitor, resistor and diode (as shown in the ESU manual for smaller decoders) to GND and U+.

Resistor should be 100 ohms / 3 watts or more.

Saluti

Locoman

Thanks Locoman

#5 norman

norman

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 166 posts

Posted 13 July 2018 - 14:06

The 4XL already comes with capacitors installed and they are more than adequate.

Norman

Just to confirm the user manual (always a good idea to read and fully understand) describes the 4XL as having an integrated powerpack.so no need for addational capacitors.

Norman

#6 Sug@rP@lm

Sug@rP@lm

Registered Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 13 July 2018 - 21:31

Just to confirm the user manual (always a good idea to read and fully understand) describes the 4XL as having an integrated powerpack.so no need for addational capacitors.

Norman

As I wrote originally, I do know that the manual informs us that it is 'neither desirable nor necessary' to add capacitors and I have probably read every word of the manual at some point and I may even have understood it all. However you can do so with a similarly equipped Zimo 695 699 as it happens. Thanks.

#7 two tone green

two tone green

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 3,479 posts
  • LocationHome, St. Davids West Wales. Work, most places.

Posted 14 July 2018 - 11:47

Why do you need the extra capacitors.

#8 norman

norman

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 166 posts

Posted 14 July 2018 - 20:09

As I wrote originally, I do know that the manual informs us that it is 'neither desirable nor necessary' to add capacitors and I have probably read every word of the manual at some point and I may even have understood it all. However you can do so with a similarly equipped Zimo 695 699 as it happens. Thanks.

Yes but the Zimo does not have stay alive capacitors already installed so they provide connections to add capacitors whereass the 4XL already has capacitors which do a great job of stay alive.

Norman

• Agree x 1

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Loksound 4XL, capacitors