Battle of Britain Class No.34090 'Sir Eustace Missenden'

sem34090

Hello!

As some of you are no doubt aware, I rarely venture far from the Pre-Grouping forum, but on this occasion I thought it best to hide over here in the hope the Men in Umber don't unearth my BR(S) activities...

The Men in Malachite should protect me here...

Anyway. As some of you may know, my username is derived from the name (Sir Eustace Missenden) and number (34090) of a Battle of Britain. Now, this is because I own a model of said loco - 2008 Hornby release I believe - and, well, I like Bulleid Pacifics and own several as part of my BR(S) fleet (Cowers further to hide from pre-grouping friends...). My model has seen little use recently, but I've decided it's time to give it a bit of attention and actually repair it.

I say repair (those who know me will already be shouting at me to stop waffling! Gary... Alex... Linny...) as the model was dropped, by a family member, onto a concrete garage floor 7 years ago and in the interim very little has been done about it. I have finally glued the front end back together properly, but there still remain bits of the cab and tender missing. The lining and crests need touching up/replacement and general detailing needs to be done. Some minor electrical work needs doing (possibly making the connection between loco and tender permanent as per my other 'modern' Hornby Bulleid) and potentially the rear set of driving wheels needs replacing (it would appear the axle here is bent, possibly).

So... some questions. Firstly, is anyone able to supply, or direct me to, photographs of the prototype prior to rebuilding, and preferably in its special variant of Malachite Green (BR Early crest) as displayed on the model. I have thus far found three of it in this livery:

bulleid-west-country-class-pacific-no-34

s-l1600.jpg

s-l500.jpg

I think I may try and finish it in the condition shown in the top photo.

Doubtless more questions will follow, but first I need to photograph the problems, work out how to solve them, browse the RT models website then actually make a proper start.

Here endeth the waffle.

sem34090

[EDIT]: I know I said I'd finished, but can anyone say when the loco came out of the above livery?

Edited by sem34090

Thanks Jason... so in standard BR Green by 1952, which nicely overlaps with my model of 34023 'Blackmoor Vale' (May be the other spelling... need to check) which went into BR Green in 1950 (Livery I have it in). With the bulk of my SR stock being in crimson and cream I think I can just about get away with it.

Now that the Men in Umber have seen this I suppose I'd best find some PVA glue and build that Card Kit for a Stroudley 4-Wheeler (Courtesy of Linny)... I'm still a pre-grouper! Honest!

• Like 1

The Hornby model has red nameplates, which is wrong for 34090 in malachite.They should be blue.

There has been confusion in some quarters as to whether the loco belongs to the West Country or Battle of Britain classes.

The clue is the original Air Force Blue nameplates. It is the last BoB.

• RMweb Gold

There has been confusion in some quarters as to whether the loco belongs to the West Country or Battle of Britain classes.

Clearly I have always been mistaken about 34109 and 34110. 

:offtopic: My Dad served his apprenticeship at Eastleigh Works and had a promotion to Brighton Works around 1959.

He has always described them as Light Pacifics (thus removing any need to distinguish between the two).

Edited by Flood
  • Like 1

Right...

Firstly: There's been no progress on the model!

Secondly: I need to order some Albert Goodall bits from RT Models.

Third: Does anyone have any suggestions as to where I may be able to obtain correct replacement name-plates?

Finally: Thanks Jack - I may have to take you up on that offer at some stage!