Farish Peak Bogie Narrowing...

John M Upton

• RMweb Premium

Hello

I've got a Farish Class 46 sitting on my work bench, a spares or repair bargain that needs new cogs which fortunately I have already.

I have come across a few references to the bogies being overwidth and that some have narrowed them but despite searching I have not yet found out exactly how it is done.

Can anyone shed any light on this mysterious procedure please? As I have to dismantle it to replace the cogs anyway I thought I might as well do the bogies at the same time.

Hello

I've got a Farish Class 46 sitting on my work bench, a spares or repair bargain that needs new cogs which fortunately I have already.

I have come across a few references to the bogies being overwidth and that some have narrowed them but despite searching I have not yet found out exactly how it is done.

Can anyone shed any light on this mysterious procedure please? As I have to dismantle it to replace the cogs anyway I thought I might as well do the bogies at the same time.

John,

I think it is just the front beam which is overscale in width and can be filed back carefully on both sides towards the width of the bogie sideframes. That said I have yet to get around to doing mine!

John

• RMweb Premium

Many thanks. My plan is to sort the mechanicals out first whilst the body takes a bath in some paint stripper and then look at the bogie frames after that.

Could be a long evening...

• RMweb Premium

Many thanks. My plan is to sort the mechanicals out first whilst the body takes a bath in some paint stripper and then look at the bogie frames after that.

Could be a long evening...

There was also an article by Robert Peters on this in one of the mags--probably the Railway Modeller . I've got a photocopy. He suggest a minimum 15'' radius for the modified model. Let me know if I can be of help.

There was a PDF kicking about somewhere once upon a time, not sure if it was out the NGS magazine or one of the commerical mags but to be honest there nothing much to it in its simplest form although the idea about putting a pin through as mentioned in the link Scottystitch posted is probably a good idea. I'd probably do that myself if were to do another one.

In classic blue peter style, here's one a I prepared earlier...

peak050512001.jpg

Edited by millerhillboy
  • Like 7

• RMweb Premium

I've just tested mine, seems all the cogs are fine which I didn't expect but one drive shaft is broken.  If anyone can tell me where I can find a suitable replacement I would appreciate it.  BRLines does not have anything listed.

I've just tested mine, seems all the cogs are fine which I didn't expect but one drive shaft is broken.  If anyone can tell me where I can find a suitable replacement I would appreciate it.  BRLines does not have anything listed.

Give him a call anyway, not everything he has is listed on his website

Regards,

Alex

• RMweb Premium

Thanks.  As I am pretty sure they will not appreciate me ringing at this time of night I have fired off an email through the contact section on their website.

Fingers crossed....

• 2 weeks later...