Signals

Andymsa

Hi all

A question on signals

I have a single line that has a passing loop station, also there is one siding. Normal convention states a exit signal is used but this signalcan show a yellow go slow aspect. But these signals if used on my layout give entry to the single line so no need for the go slow aspect. Is this the method that should be employed or are other types of signals used here. I should point out I do need the shunting signal as there is a siding and trains need to run round in station

Andy

Edited by Andymsa

My understanding is that if you are going via the diverging leg of a point to get to the single line you will need the 'Go Slow' (HP2) aspect, but if going via the straight leg you will have the 'Go Full Speed' (HP1) aspect.

My understanding is that if you are going via the diverging leg of a point to get to the single line you will need the 'Go Slow' (HP2) aspect, but if going via the straight leg you will have the 'Go Full Speed' (HP1) aspect.

Hi

Yes that makes sense but the point is trailing in relation to the platforms so one leg would be straight for one platform and other is curved.

Andy

The platform with straight will get Green HP1 for go (or Red HP0 for stop), while the platform with curved will get Green + Yellow HP2 for go (or Red HP0 for stop).

It does not matter which way you go through the point, the indication will be the same. A junction signal approaching the platforms will display HP1, HP2, or HP0 assuming that either platform can be used.

Yes both platforms can be used for either direction. The train is not going from single line to platform. But platform to single line. It is this direction I refer two. It is the exit signal I refer to not an entry signal

Andy

Edited by Andymsa

If I understand you correctly, you plan to use one exit signal for two lines, a so called "Gruppensignal" group signal.

Depending on the traffic on your station, this would be used at smaller scale stations and it would need to be a signal that can display HP0, HP1 and HP2. It would need to show HP1 if you exit your station from the straight line and HP2 if you exit from the diverged line.

On main line stations, there would be two signals, one on each line. The straight line would have a HP0-HP1 signal and the diverging line a HP0-HP2 only signal (with coupled arms).

complicated :-)

If you want to go deeper into the matter, this https://shop.vgbahn.info/miba/shop/signale++band+1-_194.html booklet contains all (and much more) information you need. In German, unfortunately...

Michael

Hi Michael

Thanks for the reply, but no this is not what I'm doing. My fault I should be more clear. There are two platforms each platform has its own exit signal onto the single line. But what is not clear is the usage of the green/ yellow signal that these exit signals have in this particular circumstance. If there was further pointwork that required the train to go slow then there is a use for the green/ yellow but there are no points apart from the trailing one that combines the two platforms into the single line. So the question is when would the go slow signal ever be used. Or is there some other method used here, thanks you reminded me I have these books in German somewhere that I had forgotten about. Ps on reading your post I should mention these are lightsignals.

Andy

Edited by Andymsa

the trailing turnout that combines both lines IS the one that requires the train to run slowly. No matter how many points are behind the signal, as soon as one of them is passed in the diverting direction, 40km/h speed limit applies and HP2 is required.

I hope this helps,

Michael

the trailing turnout that combines both lines IS the one that requires the train to run slowly. No matter how many points are behind the signal, as soon as one of them is passed in the diverting direction, 40km/h speed limit applies and HP2 is required.

I hope this helps,

Michael

Hi Michael

So let me get things clear. The train leaves either one of the platforms onto single line and the train that uses the thrown route of the point will have the restriction of 40kmh hp2, but when the other train uses the straight route it will still get a signal restriction for 40kmh hp2. But if the train on straight route does not get hp2 then what type signal is used as the exit signal all viessmann exit signals have the hp2 indication.

Andy

Edited by Andymsa

almost correct :-\

the train leaving through the straigt line will not have a speed restriction and can leave with HP1.

I should extend my comment above

No matter how many points are behind the signal, as soon as one of them is passed in the diverting direction, 40km/h speed limit applies and HP2 is required.

to "if all points are passed in straight direction, no speed limit applies and HP1 can be given"

Michael

almost correct :-\

the train leaving through the straigt line will not have a speed restriction and can leave with HP1.

I should extend my comment above

to "if all points are passed in straight direction, no speed limit applies and HP1 can be given"

Michael[/quote

Hi Michael

Yes I can see what you mean. So now the issue, I can use a block signal with hp0/hp1 indications but I also want this signal to have sh1 on it aswell, but as far as I can tell viessmann don't do this combo or even if technically correct in real life. So how do I achieve this, using semaphore it is easy but with lightsignals seems impossible

Andy

Andy,

this is interesting. There are Blocksignale and Ausfahrsignale (departure signals).

I am not sure if a Blocksignal can be used as an exit signal.

Comparing the block signal https://viessmann-modell.com/en/product-range/gauge-h0/colour-light-signals/346/h0-colour-light-block-signal-with-multiplex-technology?c=29

with the departure signal https://viessmann-modell.com/en/product-range/gauge-h0/colour-light-signals/348/h0-colour-light-departure-signal-with-multiplex-technology?c=29

you can see that the position of red and green is different.

I assume (but am not sure) that a block signal is never a departure signal.

Answering you question with the stop signal, the Viessmann 4723 combines both singals in one.

Again assumed, in real world, the yellow light would be probably masked and removed at the line that can only signal HP0/HP1 and the green light would be removed if the signal only needs to display HP0/HP2.

Michael

Hi Micheal

You hit the nail on the head. So I guess apart from your assumptions which were the same as mine what is the reality of a real world situation.i guess I'm going to have to use the 4723 and not use the yellow part of it

As to a hp2 aspect the green light would be used and not covered

Andy

Edited by Andymsa

• 1 year later...

Shunt moves onto the single line are only permitted to the limit of shunt board (rangierfahrt I think it is called). Beyond that is the block section.

When I had my German branch layout, it was correctly signalled. I used the rangiersignal (shunt signal) for shunt moves beyond the platforms, similar to the UK subsidiary signal. I was complimented on the correctness of my signalling by my German train driver friend's partner who is a signalman!

• Like 1