0-4-0 tender engines are rarely modelled though ian@stenochs has done a GSWR example - IIRC this is it. I do have a mass-produced RTR example though, in BR livery and O Gauge. This is a similar one.

Since I built R39 more information has come to light including a photograph of R47 so I built another one!post-6089-0-15597100-1531575232_thumb.jpeg. Handy engines if you have sharp curves.

Ian.

• Like 13
  • Friendly/supportive 1

That is a true thing of beauty, I really like indise cylindered 0-4-0 tender engines like this, well done, can I ask about the livery?

Thanks for asking the livery is home made, I think is was Southern olive green with a little bit of signal yellow added to brighten it. The red is a basic bauxite red from the Humbrol range. Boiler bands are sticky tape painted white whilst placed on a scrap of plastic then a black line drawn on with a pen. The single white lines are made using an old Rotring pen, there is a smudge bit on the tender lining.  Then flattened with a matt vatnish.

attachicon.gifP1010056z.JPG

Peak Modelling

Probably my best effort the most nearest to scale and the slowest runner. My standards have dropped off a bit recently.

The loco is all plasticard including the chassis, it has the occasional limp as it is a tender drive loco and occasionally just occasionally the coupling rods jam. The tender drive is an old Tri-ang diesel motor bogie with a two stage gears addition developing a very slow engine, but and a big but, I used metal gears and it came out very dentist drill, a sort of screaming noise not at all like a steam chuff chuff.

The prototype was an early Sharp Stewart standard goods engine purchased by the Furness railway who quickly found that they where too small and bought bigger and more powerful 0-6-0 locos to superseded them,. These little guys where then converted into saddle tank shunters.

You know the old modellers saying, just as you finish a scratch built model a kit maker produces one of an even better ready to run ones comes out putting yours in the shadows.

Even worse than that, they made a new build conversion in full size. The Furness Railway number 20. Back dated from a saddle tank version that had been a playground climbing frame for years. They got it running and built a new tender for it.  Grrrr,  my ones painted a nice green though.

attachicon.gifP1010054.JPG

An excellent model of a charming subject.

Now tell us how you did it ....!

OK Edwardian asked for a how it was done feature, unfortunately this is a “ one I have done earlier ” so much earlier bits of memory of it have faded. So using the excuse “ IIRC ” I've flipped it over and am trying to work out which screws to remove to start dismantling it.

post-6220-0-67247400-1531591808_thumb.jpg

• Like 7

• RMweb Premium

Handy engines if you have sharp curves.

Not so sure - either in model form or full size. The cab must swing out on curves making the coupling to the tender awkward. Riding one on some sharply-curved, lightly laid mineral line must have been a lively experience, especially with a loaded train pushing downhill - no steadying drawbar pull.

Edited by Compound2632

Not so sure - either in model form or full size. The cab must swing out on curves making the coupling to the tender awkward. Riding one on some sharply-curved, lightly laid mineral line must have been a lively experience, especially with a loaded train pushing downhill - no steadying drawbar pull.

The G&SWR had quite a lot of “Fower Wheelers” and sinuous colliery branches. David L Smith describes how on some lines the water bag between loco and tender had to be uncoupled on some of the more severe curves. He also describes the sea saw motion of Stirling tenders as being rather like a “jigger scree” the shaking table used to screen coal!

• RMweb Premium

... and the tragedy he describes at Welltrees Burn, in 1867, where the fireman, with foot trapped, called on the rescuers to help his drive first but then drowned as the waters rose around the derailed 0-4-0, which was damming the burn. 

That engine must have been truly ancient. James Stirling built a batch in the early 1870s - by the look of her I guess R47 is one of those. What I find amazing is that at the same time as turning out such an antiquated design he was building the ultra-modern 6 Class 4-4-0s - and in equal numbers; 22 of each class. Even more astounding is that several of these 0-4-0s remained in service into the twentieth century.

Edited by Compound2632
  • Like 1

I suppose the 0-4-0s still did their job, and so long as they did there was no need to replace them. Most railway companies did not spend money unnecessarily.

One of the problems with modelling pre-group is that most companies had ancient machines working in their backwaters for which there are not and never will be kits. This is where the ability to scratch-build is a massive asset.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

One of the problems with modelling pre-group is that most companies had ancient machines working in their backwaters for which there are not and never will be kits. This is where the ability to scratch-build is a massive asset.

One person’s problem is another’s opportunity...

It’s more a case of desire and determination than “ability”.

If you think you can, or think you can’t, you’re probably right...

Edited by Regularity

One person’s problem is another’s opportunity...

It’s more a case of desire and determination than “ability”.

If you think you can, or think you can’t, you’re probably right...

I’m afraid too many folk think they can’t and never even try. If you don’t have a go how will you know what you can do?

Good teachers have the ability to persuade their pupils to overcome their lack of confidence and that they can achieve. Determination to do something is a great way of overcoming problems and improving ones skills.

Ian.

• RMweb Gold

I’m afraid too many folk think they can’t and never even try. If you don’t have a go how will you know what you can do?

That's the point of it.

A (late) friend of mine would never buy a new tool until he was convinced he needed it. He would then put several hours into becoming familiar with the tool, using scrap materials, until he felt reasonably confident with it to have a "proper" go.

He used to get quite a lot done, despite "wasting" time playing with his new tools...

Anatomy of an 0-4-0 tender loco, 00 gauge.

post-6220-0-37885600-1531850341_thumb.jpg

This photo of the underside shows a lot of detail, pick up on the loco wheels and the tender, one wire and the draw bar is a flat strip, which makes the 2nd connection, this is an L shaped strip of brass screwed directly to the metal of the metal of the tender drive and a tiny spring of brass pick-up strip to maintain contact between loco and tender.

The tender drive is a Triang motor bogie with new wheels and a gear slid onto the shaft. The motor is on a home made bracket, adjustment between the two gears is by placing packing material, layers of paper underneath it until the gears turn freely. It originally had a flywheel but this some how made it run worse, perhaps because the flywheel was outside the gear wheel perhaps it wobbled around too much.

You can see the white plasticard of the construction of the tender, to make up the weight a bit and give the drive a chance of pulling a reasonable sized train I have packed in as much lead sheet as I could.

post-6220-0-88375200-1531850361_thumb.jpg

The old Triang motor bogies were quite sophisticated with their central motor, removed for this conversion and drive to both wheels, the drive shaft has oil retaining bronze bearings.

• Like 8

attachicon.gifP1010117a.JPG

This photo of the underside shows a lot of detail, pick up on the loco wheels and the tender, one wire and the draw bar is a flat strip, which makes the 2nd connection, this is an L shaped strip of brass screwed directly to the metal of the metal of the tender drive and a tiny spring of brass pick-up strip to maintain contact between loco and tender.

The tender drive is a Triang motor bogie with new wheels and a gear slid onto the shaft. The motor is on a home made bracket, adjustment between the two gears is by placing packing material, layers of paper underneath it until the gears turn freely. It originally had a flywheel but this some how made it run worse, perhaps because the flywheel was outside the gear wheel perhaps it wobbled around too much.

You can see the white plasticard of the construction of the tender, to make up the weight a bit and give the drive a chance of pulling a reasonable sized train I have packed in as much lead sheet as I could.

attachicon.gifP1010121.JPG

The old Triang motor bogies were quite sophisticated with their central motor, removed for this conversion and drive to both wheels, the drive shaft has oil retaining bronze bearings.

Thank you for that.  A beautiful model, and what you have done with the Triang motor bogie is very clever.

What a wonderful locomotive, along with your Seaham tank, one of the best of your fine collection, IMHO.

post-25673-0-83683800-1532004092.jpg

• Like 7

attachicon.gifP1010117a.JPG

attachicon.gifP1010121.JPG

Hi There,

I like your build and I also like the ingenuity of the locomotives drive, the period as it is a little more out of the ordinary also.

Gibbo.

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Hi,

This is a lovely model.  I see too you have a Seaham tank.  I have a 3D print of one and need to get around to motorising it sometime.

You say it is a Triang bogie.  What is it from and what is its wheelbase?  I have several, (?), well at least three Sharp Stewart tender locos to build and they all will have the 4 wheel tender.  (I may have a couple of 0-6-0s also and they may need the 4 wheel tender.  My current idea is to use a Tenshodo spud but I am concerned that it will not have enough power to do the job so an old bogie might be better.

attachicon.gifP1010056z.JPG

Peak Modelling

Probably my best effort the most nearest to scale and the slowest runner. My standards have dropped off a bit recently.

The loco is all plasticard including the chassis, it has the occasional limp as it is a tender drive loco and occasionally just occasionally the coupling rods jam. The tender drive is an old Tri-ang diesel motor bogie with a two stage gears addition developing a very slow engine, but and a big but, I used metal gears and it came out very dentist drill, a sort of screaming noise not at all like a steam chuff chuff.

The prototype was an early Sharp Stewart standard goods engine purchased by the Furness railway who quickly found that they where too small and bought bigger and more powerful 0-6-0 locos to superseded them,. These little guys where then converted into saddle tank shunters.

You know the old modellers saying, just as you finish a scratch built model a kit maker produces one of an even better ready to run ones comes out putting yours in the shadows.

Even worse than that, they made a new build conversion in full size. The Furness Railway number 20. Back dated from a saddle tank version that had been a playground climbing frame for years. They got it running and built a new tender for it.  Grrrr,  my ones painted a nice green though.

attachicon.gifP1010054.JPG

That is a lovely little thing! Do you happen to still have drawings for it? I have never built, or even owned a kit or RTR tender engine before and this little thing looks like a good place to start.

Do you know any more about the prototype? Do you know what other railways Sharp Stewart built these for?

Edited by Ruston
  • Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Ruston, I have copies of the drawing which I can send over to you. They are of Furness No.20 and are from the Furness Railway Trusts book about her restoration. Will dig them out tomorrow and email them over.

Not sure if Sharp Stewart built these for any other railways, only knowing of them in connection with the Furness Railway.

• 1 month later...

Thanks for all the encouragement, unusually for a loco of this age you can see the prototype in steam, the rebuilt Furness Railway No 20. I don't know where it lives,

I missed it when it came to our local steam and heritage diesel railway.

In answer to ChrisN's question I think the motor bogie was built up from the Triang 4 wheeler from a Hymek model, Triang only did one size of 4 wheeler?

I don't know what the wheelbase is but it worked out OK.

Alternative is to build and use the High Level kit for a replacement 4 wheel loco bogie, probably easy to build and as it designed to fit under the floors so should fit

easily into a tender body.

Also a Spud should work or similarly a Black Beattle, the whole of the body can be filled with ballast so giving good haulage.

• RMweb Gold

Thanks for all the encouragement, unusually for a loco of this age you can see the prototype in steam, the rebuilt Furness Railway No 20. I don't know where it lives,

I missed it when it came to our local steam and heritage diesel railway

She’s now resident on the Ribble Steam Railway, along with rebuilt sister No.25 (ex Barrow Steelworks No.17) which is still in saddletank form, and is being restored to that condition.

No.20 herself has just come out of service for the 10-yearly - hopefully back soon and touring again as I’ve only managed to see her once, and that was a while ago.