Farish ex-LMS Full Brake Coach (blue--374-890)

Crepello

• RMweb Premium

I've been notified of a price increase when it does arrive. Don't want to be negative here so here's a question;  does anyone have evidence when the corridor connections were cut off and plated over and was it done to all of these vehicles? 

• RMweb Premium

There was an article on just such a conversion in an edition of the N Gauge Society Journal, 2016 I think as I went and did one myself.  If I can find it I will let you know which edition it was.

My recollection was of gangways starting to be removed from about 1970 onwards. A photo on page 21 of 'Non-Passenger Rolling Stock', no.6 in the Cheona Press series of photo albums shows M30999 at Didcot in September 1970.

I don't think all were done; at least one gangway-fitted example was used as the brake on the Down West-of-England Newspaper train until the Siphons were replaced by modified GUVs.

Edited by Fat Controller

• RMweb Premium

Found it, it was the January/February 2016 (No. 1/16) issue of the N Gauge Journal.  No dates are given but I believe they had their gangways removed in the early 1970's on repaint into blue and were withdrawn from general traffic late 1970's although I think one or two survived in Departmental use beyond that and the article shows one that had been stored for nigh on twenty years!

Whilst I was about it I have found the van I converted inspired by the article:

post-6910-0-67514700-1531672760_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

There were a handful converted to generator vans which still had their gangways when condemned in the '80s, Paul Bartlett has photos of them laid up in 1989 and they were in a very small minority at that point! I've seen photos of these BGs in the late '60s in BR Blue, all with gangways but the further through the '70s you progress the more often you find the gangways plated over. I'd say by 1980 you'd be hard pushed to find one still with gangways. A lot of them fell out of parcels use and found their way into departmental services through the '70s and '80s, generally as stores vans as well.

The last Stanier BGs were withdrawn from revenue service in roughly 1983/1984.  I have seen a photograph elsewhere on the web of one still with gangways in 1981 that had only just been withdrawn (although I cannot remember the number off hand, I know it was a vehicle withdrawn that year).  The RCTS website has a list of all the Stanier BGs that ran into the 1970s which includes their withdrawals and weather they lost their gangways or not (although, I might take the info re gangways with a pinch of salt because there are at least two preserved vehicles with gangways that look like they have had little or no restoration (so most likely were withdrawn still fitted) yet the RCTS list has them down as having their gangways removed).

• RMweb Premium

Has anyone see how awful the weathering is on the pictures on the Bachmann website? It's looks as if the ends have just been sprayed with custard yellow paint!

Thats just the reflection off the ex-works FYE banger blue loco about to buffer up, just out of shot....

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Thats just the reflection off the ex-works FYE banger blue loco about to buffer up, just out of shot....

Thanks for all the replies on here chaps. Extremely helpful as usual.

I don't think the Farish weathering will be a problem when the model arrives; they have improved over the years, e. g. the blue suburbans--very subtle. If you're a dab hand with a good airbrush it should be relatively easy to make it presentable.

• 4 weeks later...

I've dug out the useful resource noted above tucked away on the RCTS site for these coaches which details which coaches had their corridors removed (although not when), when they were withdrawn and their disposal details. With a bit of effort you can work out which vehicles survived longest with the gangways intact.

https://www.rcts.org.uk/features/carriages/content.htm?id=carriages/lmsrbg

Edited by Zunnan