Sheerness Branchline.

Paul_C

I'm hoping to build a layout based on the Sheerness branch line as it was in 1959/60 when it transitioned from steam to electric. I will have to apply rule one to a few areas but I'm hoping to be as accurate as space will allow. It has been suggested that I will not have a hope of getting all five stations onto my baseboard given the space that I am working with but I'm determined to exhaust all possibilities.

My baseboard area measures 18'  x  11 ' and is 3' 6" wide all the way round. Any suggestions would be most welcomed, despite having started this project some nine years ago this is my first attempt at building a layout (still haven't started track laying) and I regard myself as a novice.

Paul. 

post-29343-0-13291700-1531678729_thumb.jpg

• RMweb Gold

What scale are you using? N/2mm would give you a much better scope.

Your era allows for the last knockings of steam in North Kent, but only just.

How do you propose to model the Swale Bridge, gateway to Sheppey? I think the new bridge was built as part of the electrification works.

The topography is fairly flat, so a double deck arrangement round the room might seem wrong, although it would allow you to double your length of run.

How do you propose to model the Swale Bridge, gateway to Sheppey? I think the new bridge was built as part of the electrification works.

The topography is fairly flat, so a double deck arrangement round the room might seem wrong, although it would allow you to double your length of run.

Hi Ian,

I'm working in 00 scale. I fully appreciate the suggestion of N scale but that's just not for me unfortunately. This is where I'm cheating a little, I know the electrics came into being in May '59 but I'm doing an overlap allowing both eras to run side by side. I believe this did happen for real albeit only for a short period while they type trained crews.

The bridge opened in May '60 so again a little amount of licence to be applied. The model is all built after a number of mishaps and hold ups. It's now screwed in place with the electrics and winching gear all connected. The basic structure is all done but I have a lot of cosmetic work to do such as window frames etc…. The gates are all made and I have the servos to drive them, these will be connected at a later date. Once I get it looking somewhere near half decent I will start posting photos.

Paul.     

• Like 2

Ian,

There's a lot of work to do on this yet but this will give you a rough idea of the bridge.

Paul.

post-29343-0-74757300-1531688140_thumb.jpg

post-29343-0-38354400-1531688532_thumb.jpg

post-29343-0-13306500-1531688879_thumb.jpg

• Like 12

• RMweb Gold

The bridge looks nearly as good as the Sir William Arrol version - well done! There is an under-river service tunnel between the towers, and I was able to walk through it, rather more than 40 years ago.

If you can attract his attention, Mike Storey of this parish worked on this patch, albeit about 20 years later, and may have some background if needed. 

The bridge looks nearly as good as the Sir William Arrol version - well done! There is an under-river service tunnel between the towers, and I was able to walk through it, rather more than 40 years ago.

If you can attract his attention, Mike Storey of this parish worked on this patch, albeit about 20 years later, and may have some background if needed. 

Ian,

I was fortunate to go down there about four years ago when I had a look around the bridge. A couple of lads I went to school with were working there at the time. They've had a lot of input and even measured a lot of areas by hand for me. I've been in touch with Mike on several occasions so that useful avenue of info is well and truly cemented. I will post more photos when I've made a lot more progress which will probably be a little while yet.

Paul.  

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

I'm presuming you've already built the baseboards, but is there any scope in building a peninsula in the centre and thinning out the boards down the 18ft length? You could then put Sheerness-on-sea on one side of the Peninsula and a fiddle yard on the other side with a scenic break down the middle.

I'm presuming you've already built the baseboards, but is there any scope in building a peninsula in the centre and thinning out the boards down the 18ft length? You could then put Sheerness-on-sea on one side of the Peninsula and a fiddle yard on the other side with a scenic break down the middle.

Hi Chris,

Yes, the open space in the middle is already part allocated. The KF bridge is set up on it's own section of base board which is lower than the rest and this will sit somewhere in the middle with the fixed roadway joining the main base board at either end. A lot of experimenting is on the cards.

Regards,

Paul.

• 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Found your thread - didn't know you had even started it!!

Looking forward to progress over time. You are still way ahead of me.....

Mike,

Do you remember this gantry being on the bridge during your time there? I've got my own ideas to what it was for but any thoughts, was there one on the other side?

Paul.

post-29343-0-03178100-1544008605_thumb.jpg

Mike,

Do you remember this gantry being on the bridge during your time there? I've got my own ideas to what it was for but any thoughts, was there one on the other side?

Paul.

Yes Paul. It was for cleaning the windows, even though there weren't any on the horizontal part when I was there (as we have previously discussed)!!

Yes Paul. It was for cleaning the windows, even though there weren't any on the horizontal part when I was there (as we have previously discussed)!!

Mike,

You've made my day, I had edged a guess that it was to allow access to the windows. I take it there was one the other side as well? I've got a bit of work done on the model although I'm taking my time, early signs are promising. Considering I'm not a model builder I'm very pleased with how it's going.

It's not glued together at this stage, just held in place with blacktac. The diagonal sections of the main roof are overcut to allow room to manoeuvre and I also think that I may have to cut them away from the horizontal and realign the angle. Fingers crossed I'll achieve a decent outcome.

Paul. 

post-29343-0-42373100-1544044587_thumb.jpg

post-29343-0-60386200-1544044728_thumb.jpg

post-29343-0-27915300-1544045000_thumb.jpg

post-29343-0-80556300-1544045054_thumb.jpg

post-29343-0-46018300-1544045163_thumb.jpg

post-29343-0-60167300-1544046381_thumb.jpg

• Like 3