Bachmann DCC Sound Locos

dogbox321

Hi - only just got around to testing a couple of Bachmann Sound Fitted Locos that I bought a few months ago (Brand New).  47346 and 66040.

Not had any Bachmann sound locomotives since 66022, 37057 and 47404, but must say pretty they are quite disappointing! If memory serves me correct the originals came with a reasonable suite of sounds that could be played.  These later ones have gaps in the function listings where sounds have been removed.....

Progress for locomotives with a SRP of £250+ eh?

Personally, I find Hornby's 08 with TTS is more impressive than these sound locos from Bachmann. 

Afterwards, and to end on something positive - I then tried my first SLW Class 24 and it just knocks the socks off everything I have herd before....literally!  Its totally fantastic....Its like going from the first Black and White TV, to a 4K TV with home cinema!  Outstanding!!!  Cannot wait for SLW to get the 25 done and move on to Class 33's.....  Surely with Mr.Sutton's background the "Crompton", has got to be a target!  Only problem is, using a Hornby Elite, I cannot use all the Class 24's functions...... Sob! Sob! Sob!  It may force me to get a better controller!

Regards,

C. 

Hi - only just got around to testing a couple of Bachmann Sound Fitted Locos that I bought a few months ago (Brand New).  47346 and 66040.

Not had any Bachmann sound locomotives since 66022, 37057 and 47404, but must say pretty they are quite disappointing! If memory serves me correct the originals came with a reasonable suite of sounds that could be played.  These later ones have gaps in the function listings where sounds have been removed.....

Progress for locomotives with a SRP of £250+ eh?

Personally, I find Hornby's 08 with TTS is more impressive than these sound locos from Bachmann. 

Afterwards, and to end on something positive - I then tried my first SLW Class 24 and it just knocks the socks off everything I have herd before....literally!  Its totally fantastic....Its like going from the first Black and White TV, to a 4K TV with home cinema!  Outstanding!!!  Cannot wait for SLW to get the 25 done and move on to Class 33's.....  Surely with Mr.Sutton's background the "Crompton", has got to be a target!  Only problem is, using a Hornby Elite, I cannot use all the Class 24's functions...... Sob! Sob! Sob!  It may force me to get a better controller!

Regards,

C. 

Response from Bachmann

Obviously we take such comments seriously and we have checked out the observations made by the above locomotive owner.

It is our understanding that the Sutton Locomotive Works Class 24 locomotive decoder has 28 functions & the DCC system referred to supports functions F0 to F28 - so if not all 28 functions are working then there is a need to check out the DCC system. This could explain the gaps/missing functions on the latest 2 Bachmann locos referred to above.

We are continually improving our sound locomotives and there are more added functions than when DCC Sound was first fitted to Branchline models. The two Class 47 locomotives were fitted with different decoder types, No. 47404 (32-800DS) dates from 2008 and No. 47356 (31-661DS) dates from 2016 – so the sound files will be different.

The Class 66 locomotives used the same sound files, No. 66002 (32-725DS) dates from 2013 and No. 660400 (32-733DS) dates from 2016. The latter used an increased specification decoder.

The sounds available to be triggered by an F key have changed over time (different F keys for some functions), but the latest ones certainly don’t have gaps.

The recently purchased locomotives mentioned use more up to date decoders and we certainly did not reduce the number of functions and we absolutely would not under any circumstances leave gaps between consecutive function numbers.

The indication that the full range of sound effects are not accessible on these two locomotives, or indeed the Sutton Locomotive Works Class 24, suggests that the owner should contact the manufacturer of their DCC system for further advice.

Dennis Lovett

Public Relations Manager

Bachmann Europe Plc

I would  certainly  advise  a  digital  system  upgrade!

I use a  Gaugemaster  Prodigy 2 on the 00 layout  from  which  I can access all  28  Suttons  class 24   sound  features  although  I  have  to  admit  I don't  use  the   Detonators (fog signals etc) one  very  often!!

Edited by Stevelewis

• RMweb Gold

I would  certainly  advise  a  digital  system  upgrade!

If you can afford to have £700 of DCC sound fitted loco's 'in store' it would be worthwhile investing in an at least a mid range DCC controller to get the benefit. I've got an NCE powercab that whilst not perfect has served me well for several years and allows access to all functions and programming and is currently about £160 ready to play. Plenty of other options between £150 and £500.