G-Train Locomotive Works - LNER B3 'Valour'

You're pretty much right on the money there. ...

It was kind of going that way.

....for completeness sake, it is the intention to make the etches and boiler available for anyone interested in making one of these locos for themselves. ....

If you do decide to do a production B3 etch and boiler set, with facility to build in P4, do let me know. Although no B3 survived into preservation, it's a fascinating subject by itself - the Caprotti variant in particular. Edited by Horsetan

It was kind of going that way.

If you do decide to do a production B3 etch and boiler set, with facility to build in P4, do let me know. Although no B3 survived into preservation, it's a fascinating subject by itself - the Caprotti variant in particular.

The etch includes EM/P4 spacer parts and at least one each of the pre-production etches are going to be built in EM and P4 respectively. I await feedback with trepidation from those builds in particular.

I have talked to Nick about producing an etch variant for the B3 Caprotti version but I think we'll have to see how that pans out. The B7 will definitely be the next one.

You have my attention. Definitely would love one. Perhaps two so I could do lord Faringdon as well......but that might be too greedy.

Where do we sign up to join the queue?

Richard

PM me for now Richard and I can keep a track of expressions of interest at this stage. Forgot to mention (although maybe you've already spotted?) that both cab types are included on the etch so it's possible to make any of the six locos in their original format.

You might want to have a word with Mike Edge / Judith Edge to compare notes as I think he already produces a B7 etch set.

Well that wasn't the case when I spoke to him last. Rather, he said he'd be interested in a set of B7 etches himself when we get round to them.

He can however provide a set of etches for the Robinson standard 4,000 gallon tender that both types at various times on their careers.

Well that wasn't the case when I spoke to him last. Rather, he said he'd be interested in a set of B7 etches himself when we get round to them.

He can however provide a set of etches for the Robinson standard 4,000 gallon tender that both types at various times on their careers.

Ah, I must be going mad - I've just checked through my old photos and it wasn't a B7 he had produced etches for, but this:

post-6879-0-68000700-1536272360_thumb.jpg

post-6879-0-09618500-1536272859_thumb.jpg

post-6879-0-42200200-1536272915_thumb.jpg

Nice, but it wasn't a B3....

Regards

Ivan

• Like 1

Between you and the OP, it looks a fair bet that most if not all the GC "B"s will be covered one way or another. Never seen that happen before.

And with Arthur's (North Eastern Kits) B15 and LRM's or PDK's B16, then only the B13 and B14, of the old North Eastern, are missing from their contributuon to the LNER's B's. The B1 and B17 are available as r-t-r with the B12 available as r-t-r or kit. Is the B2 available as an etched kit?

So we're well on the way to a 4mm 'full house' of 'B's.

The Thompson rebuild of the B3 (B19?) might be tricky to acquire?

Cheers

Mike

Edited by mikemeg

And with Arthur's (North Eastern Kits) B15 and LRM's or PDK's B16, then only the B13 and B14, of the old North Eastern, are missing from their contributuon to the LNER's B's. The B1 and B17 are available as r-t-r with the B12 available as r-t-r or kit. Is the B2 available as an etched kit?

So we're well on the way to a 4mm 'full house' of 'B's.

The Thompson rebuild of the B3 (B19?) might be tricky to acquire?

The B2 was available as a kit from DMR (now Phoenix Paints) - not sure what availability is now.

Bill Bedford did once design some rebuilt B3 etches, but those are long gone now, as is his boiler and cab etch for the Thompson B1 which I thought had a lot of promise, so I bought one.

A few years ago someone started to produce etches for the GC locos inc. B3 and B7. Unfortunately IIRC they were designed only for EM & P4, which must have narrowed the market somewhat....

Great Central Models (John Bateson) - only operated for about five years. I remember Bill Bedford saying the completed chassis "wouldn't go round curves" and demanding video evidence of any chassis doing just that, a claim which may have affected sales somewhat. The tenders looked tempting but, at the time, I wasn't planning to have a go at any of the GC 4-6-0s - the B3 was just a pipe dream.

A few years ago someone started to produce etches for the GC locos inc. B3 and B7. Unfortunately IIRC they were designed only for EM & P4, which must have narrowed the market somewhat. It would be great to have quality kits available for the popular gauge.

John.

John,

Yes, if it's the guy I'm thinking of (John Bateson) then I have one of his kits to build which is for the LNER B4. This kit is designed to be built for EM or P4, which is the gauge I model in. I think he also did one of the ex-GC Atlantics, probably the C4.

So, later this year, I'll make a start on B4 61482 - Immingham - which was the last of the B4's and lasted two or three years (it is still extant in the August 1950 stock list) into BR days, carrying its British Railways number while still carrying the fully lined LNER apple green livery.

I'm also aware of Bill's quote about this chassis not being able to traverse curves, so there is something of a point to prove; or an impending nervous breakdown!

Cheers

Mike

Edited by mikemeg
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium

John,

Yes, if it's the guy I'm thinking of (John Bateson) then I have one of his kits to build which is for the LNER B4. This kit is designed to be built for EM or P4, which is the gauge I model in. I think he also did one of the ex-GC Atlantics, probably the C4.

So, later this year, I'll make a start on B4 61482 - Immingham - which was the last of the B4's and lasted two or three years (it is still extant in the August 1950 stock list) into BR days, carrying its British Railways number while still carrying the fully lined LNER apple green livery.

I'm also aware of Bill's quote about this chassis not being able to traverse curves, so there is something of a point to prove; or an impending nervous breakdown!

Cheers

Mike

Mike,

You may have a photo to prove me wrong (I frequently am), but I thought that Immingham never received its BR number and was 1482 to its end in 1950 as here:  https://transportsofdelight.smugmug.com/RAILWAYS/LOCOMOTIVES-OF-THE-LONDON-NORTH-EASTERN-RAILWAY/LOCOMOTIVES-OF-LNER-ORIGIN/i-NwrkZZx/.

Looking forward to seeing your build.

The GC 4-6-0s, particularly the B7s and B3s, are amongst my favourites so I'll follow the progress of these kits with interest.  Sadly I model in 2mm so unless there's any chance of these (and the possible future B7) etches being shotdown I will only be an interested onlooker.

Simon

Hi Graham

Its nice to see this project out in the public domain now. Congratulation with how far you've got. I'm sure if the etches are being arranged by Nick Easton they will be good - he did the Howlden Louth Quad I have - which I have yet to build (but they look very good). Likewise the boiler from Graeme K.

For those reading this thread I'll post a photo of my Valour, built from a Ks B2 about 26 years.

I have a set of etches to help me build a B8 using a boiler from a Ks/NuCast B2 which I have spare. These etches are fairly basic as I drew up the original drawings for them but include loco chassis, footplate, splashers, cab and front frame extensions. They were etched for me by a fellow member of the British Railway Modellers of Australia (BRMA) here in Adelaide a few years ago. Not quite sure when I'll get around to building this as I have a full program for the next couple of years to build the locos and other rollingstock for an exhibition layout based on Spilsby being built by another member of BRMA.

I also have a set of etches from Mike Edge for a B9, as well as an ancient McGowan B4 kit for which I'm going to use a modified Bachmann O4 boiler which I have spare. These will eventually join Valour, B2 City of Lincoln and my B5.

I'm contemplating one of your B3 kits as I fancy Lord Faringdon.

I will however definitely order one of the subsequent B7s - I already have a Bachmann self-trimming tender set aside. Please put me on the list for that.

Regards

Andrew Emmett

post-18984-0-65581300-1536324557_thumb.jpg

• Like 3

But excellent news. The B6 still would be a conversion from an o4 I think.

Richard

Apart from the cylinders, crossheads, silde bars and maybe the con-rods I'm not sure how much use the O4 would be as a starting point. Frames, running plate, boiler, cab and wheel sizes are all wrong. The real pioneer B6, built in lieu of a loco originally planned as an O5, made use of the same kind of boiler, cab and cylinders that would have been required on the O5, but the boiler, cab and running plate of the O5 class were not the same as on the much more numerous O4. I'm not sure that the version of the Robinson 4000 gallon tender behind an O5 or B6 is wholly the same thing as those behind the O4s either.

It did occur to me that as well as suiting B2 (the proper ones, not the re-classified Thompson molestations of the B17s), B3, B7 and B8, those with a taste for modification should be able to use the boiler in modified form on a B6. The lower sides of the firebox will be deep enough and the base of the smokebox too, but the smokebox will have to be lengthened and the boiler barrel itself shortened. Anybody wanting to go the step further to an O5 will probably have to additionally deepen the base of the smokebox and the lower sides of the firebox. Some would consider it easier to make the O5 boiler from scratch for themselves.

Edited by gr.king

….I'll post a photo of my Valour, built from a Ks B2 about 26 years....

That looks alright.

Given the way that standards in some areas have declined over the decades, I wonder if such an engine being built today would have emerged with a misspelt nameplate like "Velour"

• Thanks 1

Mike,

You may have a photo to prove me wrong (I frequently am), but I thought that Immingham never received its BR number and was 1482 to its end in 1950 as here:  https://transportsofdelight.smugmug.com/RAILWAYS/LOCOMOTIVES-OF-THE-LONDON-NORTH-EASTERN-RAILWAY/LOCOMOTIVES-OF-LNER-ORIGIN/i-NwrkZZx/.

Looking forward to seeing your build.

The GC 4-6-0s, particularly the B7s and B3s, are amongst my favourites so I'll follow the progress of these kits with interest.  Sadly I model in 2mm so unless there's any chance of these (and the possible future B7) etches being shotdown I will only be an interested onlooker.

Simon

Simon,

You may well be right in that Immingham didn't carry its BR number. Somewhere, I have a photo of this loco, during its last year, in the shed yard at Ardsley. If I can find it, then that will show its state and number shortly before withdrawal.

Cheers

Mike

Edited by mikemeg

The B2 was available as a kit from DMR (now Phoenix Paints) - not sure what availability is now.

Of course you are talking about the Thompson B2 (B17 rebuild).  The original ex GCR B2 (B19) was also once available from Modelex.  My recollection is that this might have gone to Phoenix too? So, probably non existent now and while it is possible to build one from this kit, as the saying goes...

"If I was going there, I wouldn't start from here"

post-118-0-75376400-1536329331.jpg

post-118-0-44900300-1536329353.jpg

Lots wrong with it which needed to be put right and I mostly documented it in a workbench thread on another forum here

Cheers...Morgan

Edited by 45609
  • Like 5
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

Apart from the cylinders, crossheads, silde bars and maybe the con-rods I'm not sure how much use the O4 would be as a starting point. Frames, running plate, boiler, cab and wheel sizes are all wrong. The real pioneer B6, built in lieu of a loco originally planned as an O5, made use of the same kind of boiler, cab and cylinders that would have been required on the O5, but the boiler, cab and running plate of the O5 class were not the same as on the much more numerous O4. I'm not sure that the version of the Robinson 4000 gallon tender behind an O5 or B6 is wholly the same thing as those behind the O4s either.It did occur to me that as well as suiting B2 (the proper ones, not the re-classified Thompson molestations of the B17s), B3, B7 and B8, those with a taste for modification should be able to use the boiler in modified form on a B6. The lower sides of the firebox will be deep enough and the base of the smokebox too, but the latter will have to be extended and the boiler barrel itself shortened. Anybody wanting to go the step further to an O5 will probably have to additional deepen the base of the smokebox and the lower sides of the firebox. Some would consider it easier to make the O5 boiler from scratch for themselves.

I said this only because I thought I saw an advert by the gcr promoting the fact that one was the passenger version of the other, or vice versa. Much the same way the j11 and d9 were said to share many parts. Hence d9 nick name of bogie Pom Pom. It does seem in spite of Robinson standardization I will need to dig more deeply.

Many thanks

Richard